Anybody Smoking a Turkey

Guest Bluemax

Guest Bluemax

Gonna fire one up about Midnight tommorow night...For some reason if you wait till midnight, they get a little pissed but not to aggressive when you try and roll them in a paper..also when they get that first whiff of burning feathers..they get very aggressive..Seriously I have a great recipe for Cajun Smoked Turkey if you have a water smoker or a homebuilt like mine. If anyone is interested reply and I will post the recipe

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluemax

I agree Sherm, But once I adopted a tactic from the Crocodile Hunter ( God rest his soul ) it became much easier. First, as you approach the turkey from behind you keep saying ..Danger,Danger Danger, to yourself then when you get close enough, launch your body into space and pin that sucker down until you get that baby smoking, then hold on like you would have if it was the first time you consumated you marriage with your beloved and you yelled her sisters name at exactly the wrong moment

Guest Bluemax

Ok, here we go,

First the ingredients

1 turkey, I try to not get bigger than 15-18#"s

2 Onions Apples and Garlic

3 Big bottle cheap white wine for the drip pan

4 cayenne pepper

First cut up apples and onions and separate garlic cloves from bulbs

2nd remove innards from turkey rinse and pat dry

3rd sprinkle Cayenne into cavity of turkey the stuff with apples, onions and garlic, slip garlic underneith skin around breast and sprinkle cayenne and a little salt on outside of turkey

Almost forgot, If you have time boil up some salt water and the herbs of your choice the night before, Once cooled let you turkey sit in this overnight this is called brining and results in a unbelievably moist turkey

4th Fill water pan with white wine and any leftovers of veggies, this bastes your turkey while it smokes

5th Use a good quality charcoal, I like Kingsford with mesquite

6th Very Important... Fill your charcoal pan in a pyramid shape, soak 3-4 brickettes in lighter fluid for at least 15 minutes before lighting and place these in the center of youe pyrimid and light, this will keep your fire burning long and slow

Now, if you are using one of the cheap water smokers you will have to check and add charcoal every 2-3 hours but it will turn out great

I start mine about midnight and pull it about 8:00 the next morning, if I think it needs a little more cooking I butter the skin and put it in the oven at 375 for 30 to 45 minutes

Edited by Bluemax
Forgot a step

I am gonna smoke one on my Ugly Drum Smoker. I got a 14lb enhanced bird so I wont need to brine her. I plan on rubbing her down with some Cajun seasoning (Under the skin). Apples, onions, and garlic in the cavity to give keep her moist and then throwing a basket weave of bacon on top because everything is better with bacon. Should be on the smoker for 5 hours @ 250-265 degrees or until the bird reaches 160 degrees then she will be foil tented and let rest for about 45 minutes before carving.

Gonna fire one up about Midnight tommorow night...For some reason if you wait till midnight, they get a little pissed but not to aggressive when you try and roll them in a paper..also when they get that first whiff of burning feathers..they get very aggressive..Seriously I have a great recipe for Cajun Smoked Turkey if you have a water smoker or a homebuilt like mine. If anyone is interested reply and I will post the recipe

Deep frying is the only way to go!