First Carry Gun Help

Guest Drewsett

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I have been looking for awhile for a carry gun for myself. I am a larger guy, with massive palms...so your typical compact carry gun does not fit comfortably in my hand. I have found several guns that I have liked the function and fit of, but I have yet to fire them. I am going to go down to On-Target in M'boro and see if they have any of these guns to rent, but I am worried that some of them won't be available. I would like to solicit opinions on these guns...and hey, if you own one of them and are willing to deal with a new handgun shooter I'll pay for ammo and of course the lane fee ;) Ok, on to the guns.

Springfield XDc 9mm-

I was very impressed with this gun the moment I picked it up. It felt very natural and I had no issues with slide operation, mag ejection, or the safety (duh...what's easier than a grip safety?) It is the most expensive of the guns that I like, and that of course means that I will not have the money to spend on accessories. I sort of considered the XDM...but it is a little big to be a carry gun.

Taurus 24/7 Pro OSS (compact version with Ribber grips)

This was the first handgun I handled, and I find myself comparing all others to it. I posted a thread asking opinions on this gun already, and the main concern that I had was that some members found this gun to shoot "low...very low". I have not shot it yet, but hope to rectify that. This is one of the cheapest guns that I looked at, so I will have more money to spend on holster, mags, etc. Oh, I also like the whole "lifetime warranty", even if their customer service is crap.

Ruger SR9

Definitely the largest of these guns, but it is thin and light enough that I would feel comfortable carrying it. Didn't fit quite as well as the two above guns, but is not uncomfortable. I like the fact that the sights are elevation adjustable. A concern that I have is that apparently there have been some issues with the barrel (I don't know if there is a recall or not).

Bersa Thunder 380

Probably the smallest of these guns, I was very impressed with the way it fit my hand for such a small gun. I don't like that it's .380 caliber...mainly because it's hard to find. I'm confident enough with my accuracy that I don't mind the smaller round as far as stopping power is concerned. It is another cheaper option (unless I buy lots of ammo heh).

The common thread that you may have noticed is that all of these guns have a safety. I know it's a mental thing...Glocks, Sigs, S+W all make guns without safeties, but I really do feel better having a safety. I will probably buy one of these four, but I am open to other options that are similar in size and weight.

Oh and of course if you let me fire your weapon I'll buy the first round or two of drinks after we leave the range :D

Of your choices I would choose the Springfield XDc 9mm. I wouldnt suggest a Glock as your 1st carry gun but it is a fine pistol, I might have to disagree about the Sig though it was and still is my first carry gun and in double action mode it would be really hard to accidently pull the trigger IMHO. Good luck with your choices and I go to On Target about once a week to shoot so if you would like to shoot the Glock or a Sig your welcome to just shoot me a PM!!!! COOP

Luckily, On Target has several guns for you to rent. I went there about a month or so ago. FYI, it was just under $40 for the lane fee, ear/eye protection, a box of ammo, a target, and a handgun. Plus, they don't charge extra for you to try out different guns; I shot about 7 guns using 2 boxes of ammo. They have more 9mm rentals than anything else, so I would suggest you start there. Here's what I got to shoot: Glock 30, 21, 19; Nighthawk Custom Match GRP; Ruger SR9; Sig P226; Springfield XDM. They also had plenty more than those.

I looked for a compact gun initially, too, but I felt that my hand didn't fit all that well when I held some; on a couple, my little finger was slipping off the bottom, which I didn't like. Just so you know, I was looking for external safeties, too. My list included a Sig and two Glocks. None had the external safeties (unless you count the Glock's safe action trigger).

I ended up buying an XD .45. I looked at it in compact size, but the service size fit my hand better.

Guest nashvegas
Of your choices I would choose the Springfield XDc 9mm. I wouldnt suggest a Glock as your 1st carry gun but it is a fine pistol, I might have to disagree about the Sig though it was and still is my first carry gun and in double action mode it would be really hard to accidently pull the trigger IMHO. Good luck with your choices and I go to On Target about once a week to shoot so if you would like to shoot the Glock or a Sig your welcome to just shoot me a PM!!!! COOP

+1

Guest Micromancer

Of the four guns you listed, the only one you should consider is the XD. That said:

No problems with the XDs. Just IMHO there are too many little plastic parts. Call me crazy. I dont like the extra grip safety either. for polymer pistol....I drink from the well of the glocks kol-aid. :tough: He asked for an opinion...I gave mine. But we all have one

This is correct. The reason you do not want a grip safety on your carry gun is under duress, it makes using it harder. External safties are designed protect everything that gun is pointed at from being shot. This is counter productive to your goals.

The correct answer is a Glock 19. When you ask what to carry it in - the answer to that is an M-TAC Minotaur. Slide model preferable, but only if you intend on buying more Glocks. I doubt you will want to so it's probably a non-issue.

Do not let your dislike for the Glock allow you to get protection that is "good enough". Nothing is good enough when it comes to survival. All you can do is try and get something that increases your odds of survival as much as possible.

I've been reading through the thread and whatever you decide to get I think you may want to do just a little more thinking on why you feel an external safety seems like a must have for you (or for your wife...).

To be quite honest for a long time I also was adamantly against Glocks or other pistols that didn't have a dedicated external safety... Guess my general feeling was I thought the "belt AND suspenders" philosophy was safer when it came to firearms, since although I was taught well and had the rule "don't touch the trigger until you're prepared to fire" ingrained in me, I still felt having a bit of back-up insurance was safer... But in practice, I learned I was mistaken (and realized it was safer just to teach my wife that the gun means business ALL THE TIME, no extra info about an external safety needed to get confused about).

You see, I started paying real close attention to different shooters, friends and strangers alike, that I interacted with at ranges and such... Quite surprisingly, and YMMV, I started to notice that the guys I observed who used guns with external safeties exclusively tended to behave much more casually around their weapons than those who used those without external safeties, and that's when it hit me: IT'S A FREAKIN' GUN! - why in the world would I want to EVER treat it or it's trigger with anything other than total respect at all times?, and if anything, placing any of my reliance of safety in the external safety if even subconsciously, if not careful, may lead to a false sense of safety and possibly a reduced state of awareness on my part.

So, since then, I understood why guns without external safeties when used in tandem with a proper holster that adequately inhibits accidental activation of the trigger, are every bit just as safe as those with them, and IMO at least for me, maybe even safer as they force you in their use to maintain a higher level of consciousness and in turn develop a high degree of muscle memory in respecting their triggers and how dangerous they can potentially be.

Just something to think about...

Oh yeah...

Picture1-3.png

:screwy::D:D:D:D

Edited by CK1
Guest Drewsett
Try a PARA ORDNANCE P-12 it's a compact 1911 with 12+1 of 45, it's accurate, & you can get it in steel or lite-weight alloy frame. Also it has a frame mounted safety !!!!!!

Deep down, secretly, I've always wanted a 1911. I also desire to avoid bankruptcy, and as any 1911 I purchased would be an instant money drain as I started buying accessories and customizing it....I don't think it would be a good idea.

I'm worried of what I might become :screwy:

Of those you listed I like the XD the best. The SR9 seem to have issues and have been under a recall already. I like them they just make me uneasy. Taurus gives me that same feeling and I get the impression they are hit and miss. Though you didn't mention it, I have been using a CZ P07 and it is an excellent pistol, with a manual safety, hammer fired, and Glock 19ish size. I've had XD's, Glocks, and SIGS and I like the P07 the best. Plus they are going pretty cheap ATM. Think $300ish.

All the CZ's I have seen in the dealers I've been to are in the 500 or higher range. I figured if I was going to be spending that money I might as well get the XD.

I'll look at them a little closer next time I go in to the gun store again, thanks.

Oh and all you glock guys. I have no doubt that I will eventually one day own a Glock. I don't want it to be my first carry pistol. I do appreciate your opinions though, as I have learned more about them for having heard what you had to say. Thank you all.

Edited by Drewsett

Somehow this thread has drifted into a referendum on the pros and cons of external safeties. Since I have strong feelings on this subject, I will add my 2 cents: I don't like 'em. I want a gun that goes bang when I pull the trigger. I can remember too many times, as a kid, lining up a shot with my .22 and squeezing the trigger only to find that it wouldn't budge because the blasted safety was on. I don't want that to happen when my life is on the line.

I prefer a long DA trigger pull for myself. To me, that is the safest thing going, much better than any external safety. Since the only pistol I shot much growing up was a .38, the trigger pull does not bother me. YMMV.

Deep down, secretly, I've always wanted a 1911. I also desire to avoid bankruptcy, and as any 1911 I purchased would be an instant money drain as I started buying accessories and customizing it....I don't think it would be a good idea.

I'm worried of what I might become ;)

jubil56, I am also a big guy. I tried the XDsc and settled on a G26 as my first carry gun. I also tried the Ruger and was impressed by the way it shot.

However, last month the 1911 bug bit. I was fortunate to find a Kimber Eclipse Ultra 3" barrel from a friend with several extras at the top limit of my price range. This is all stainless and weighs around 36 oz. loaded. I could have saved some money if my wife hadn't pushed me to get the one I really wanted. (She also took away my Glock)

My point is there are some good 1911's (ie. Rock Island, some Springfields, Para) that aren't as expensive as you think. They might not be the lightweight wonder weapons in all the publications, but they are easily carried because the weight is comparable to my daily carry. If I had shot the 1911 first, I probably would not have bought the Glock. I am much more accurate with it than any pistol I have ever shot. I can't describe the feeling.

Shiloh214

Guest Tygarys
Taurus 24/7 Pro OSS (compact version with Ribber grips)

This was the first handgun I handled, and I find myself comparing all others to it. I posted a thread asking opinions on this gun already, and the main concern that I had was that some members found this gun to shoot "low...very low". I have not shot it yet, but hope to rectify that. This is one of the cheapest guns that I looked at, so I will have more money to spend on holster, mags, etc. Oh, I also like the whole "lifetime warranty", even if their customer service is crap.

Bersa Thunder 380

Probably the smallest of these guns, I was very impressed with the way it fit my hand for such a small gun. I don't like that it's .380 caliber...mainly because it's hard to find. I'm confident enough with my accuracy that I don't mind the smaller round as far as stopping power is concerned. It is another cheaper option (unless I buy lots of ammo heh).

I have one of the Taurus 24/7s and a Bersa.

The Bersa is a bit picky with ammo, but once you find something it likes it works great and is very accurate.

The Taurus does shoot low for some reason, and I blame the lack of different sights for that. The factory sights seem to cause this, and I think if a lower front sight were available it might solve this. My SW99 had the same issue, but it came with 3 different front sights, and simply swapping out to the lowest one fixed it for me.

CK, What if you have your gun taken for you ??? That frame mounted safety will buy you "TIME" !!! While the bad guy is trying to pull the trigger, you can jab his eye, kick his nuts, you have a fighting chance, while a gun with no safety, your A$$ is done !!!!!;)

No it won't.

External safeties are not exactly Rubik's cubes... IMO thinking that a BG won't know how to off-safe a gun as some kind of plus or added degree of safety is just foolish...

In fact, It's WAY more likely that under stress YOU will forget to off-safe the gun and give a BG some extra seconds to attack your A$$...