Gun Safes?

I got to thinking. Instead of getting a XD40 with my income tax I should get a gun safe. So here is my question. Where is a good local place to look at and maybe get a nice fire resistant gun safe.

It will need to hold hand guns and rifles. Around 10 or 12 rifles and several hand guns including some box sets. Only catch is weight. I leave in an apartment and know the floor will not support a heavy safe so that cuts in to alot of the fire resistant stuff.

If anybody is wanting to sale a used one I would be interested.

Thank you,

Verne

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

When you consider that losing just two guns to theft or fire will cost you more than what a decent safe itself would, it's pretty easy to decide to invest in one. :up:

I had never heard of SafeHouse but will have to remember them. I do know that Sams sells a Winchester branded safe (made by Granite Safes) that is fairly identical to one that Bass Pro sells as a Redhead brand, but the Sams safe is about $300 cheaper.

Most of those are going to be 500lbs easily, so that may limit you since you're in an apartment.

I had the same problem with too much weight!

I went to Lowe,s and got a good lockable metal storage cabinet and i already had 3 fireproof boxes used to store papers and such. Each box will hold 2 or 3 Handguns and used a fire resistant matteress cover for the long guns put everthing in and locked it up.

It is not as good as a 500 lbs. safe but not far from it!

I feel a lot more peace of mind since doing this.

I also used LAG screws to fasten it to the bedroom wall.

A buddy of mine once had the same problem. Two ways to solve it:

1) Move to ground floor of apt. bldg.

2) Lay safe on its side to distriibute the weight over a larger area. A medium size 10-12 rifle safe should be around 350lbs empty. On its side, lying over several floor joists should be ok. Make sure safe is designed to do this, otherwise opening it will be a pain.

Guest GlocKingTN

Just make sur eit is very secure to the floor. My local gun shop's owner's safe was stolen out of his house. They somehow got the bolts loose from where it was bolted to the floor and you know the rest! So make sure it is VERY secure.

I sold real estate in a past life and I saw a few things, in an existing house, safe built into the wall, typically in a the master bedroom and they did it by putting it in the wall that backs into a closet. For example, you walk down the hallway and at the end is a closet for towels, sheets, etc. The safe was put in there and the door went through the wall into the master bedroom.

The other way was on new construction. The walk in closet in the master bedroom had the door of the safe in the floor and the safe was in the foundation. Ain;t no way to steal that thing!!!

Guest GlocKingTN
I sold real estate in a past life and I saw a few things, in an existing house, safe built into the wall, typically in a the master bedroom and they did it by putting it in the wall that backs into a closet. For example, you walk down the hallway and at the end is a closet for towels, sheets, etc. The safe was put in there and the door went through the wall into the master bedroom.

The other way was on new construction. The walk in closed in the master bedroom had the door of the safe in the floor and the safe was in the foundation. Ain;t no way to steal that thing!!!

Now that would be the best idea. Build it in your house, preferebly in a closet or something. That way it could be completely out of site. The less obvious it is, the less likely to be found by a robber or intruder.

Guest GlocKingTN

Not sure it would be very safe for the non-fire resistant safe. But its still an idea if you aren't worried about the fire safety part. There would be a great weight difference.

I bought mine years ago.Went to the gun show (Bill Goodmans) talk to the safe guy who is always at the shows.I drove down to Ala. to his warehouse and bought a new discontinued style.It was a 1800$ safe back in the day and gave 1200$ for it. A friend of my dads has a two lane full auto range under his house.next to it he has a vault with a door the size of a bank.Has it's own air system and cell phone.In the back corner is a spiral staircase with a hatch that goes into his bedroom.I think he's a lil overkill.But I guess if i had the $ I would have stuff like that too. I know its not gun related but his pool in the back comes into the bedroom so he can swim right out.

Guest RN MEDIC

Be SURE to get one that is big enough. Mine makes it for size, but if I had it to do over again, I'd get a bigger one. If anyone's wife is like mine, she'll have all sorts of stuff in it. We have our legal papers there, some coins, binoculars, etc. If you have a camcorder or other small size stuff like that you'll want it in there. Before you're through it's stuffed.

It really does give us a LOT of peace of mind when we all have to leave here for a few days.

RN