Ammo for duck hunting?

Guest heater

I am planning a duck hunting trip to Reelfoot Lake. I have a model 870 Remington that chambers 2 3/4" 12 gauge ammo. I could also use some advice as to what brand, shot size, etc of ammo you folks recommend. Also could use some advice as to the choke I should use.

Thanks in advance.

Heater

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there someone who can call to get the local suggestion from ?

I run a modified extended choke from Carlsons but it is a 3" shell 2 shot over decoys and BB for passing birds

Reelfoot with a 2 3/4" gun... I would probably spring for the heavier no-tox shells as steel needs speed to kill well (thus the advent of the 3 1/2" etc.) shot size I am unsure of.. try Duck Hunting Chat maybe a post there will help you and possibly call some Reelfoot guide services or check online for a guide service website they may have a "suggestion" page for ammo and gear

smack em and stack em

John

I get the best pattern out of my 870 with #2. Sometimes I will use B or BB if the geese are flying, but I usually load up with #2. If I am getting shots at mostly passing birds, I will use a IM or Full choke and Hevi-Shot to increase my range. If you use a full choke and steel, just remember to get a full choke made for use with steel shot.

If they are decoying, I will use a modified or IC choke. I prefer Hevi-Shot to steel, but I often use the Winchester Drylok steel from Walmart just because of the price. Steel shot even in 3.5" has disappointed me more than once on geese even at closer ranges.

Although it's pricier, I recommend the Hevi-Shot over steel.

Guest ORgunner

Well Heater it all depends on how good you or who your going with can call. Im guessing your going with a guide therefore your birds should be decoying and if the guides are calling the shots like their supposed to 2 3/4 will do the job. Alot of people think 3 1/2 are great but 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells can do the job just fine and alot cheaper only if your working the birds into the decoys. I just returned from reelfoot last week and i took a mossberg 835 with a modified choke and shot 3 inch #4 shot and i also shot my 20 guage auto with #2 shot and smoked them all day. Waterfowl hunting usually calls for the 3 inch shells but you can get by with the 2 3/4 with a modified choke. As far as brand goes your best bet is heavy shot, but this is also the most expensive. Next i would reccomend the Black Cloud, its also up there in price but those two tear the birds up. I usually buy one or two boxes of black cloud then get either winchester or federal premiums which ever is cheapest. Just have confidence when those ducks are dropping in and you'll do fine. Goodluck, want to hear some reports when u get back.

• 4 months later...