Electronic calls

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

Any of you here use any brand of these? I've been thinking of getting one. I hate that they don't come cheap but I really want to get my preys eyes/ears off of me and more focused on the direction of the sound. Any thoughts?

This is for coyote/bobcat. Nothing more.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have to spend pretty big to get a real quality rig with remote -most likely $300 or more.

I have a $60 Cass Creek that works pretty good out to about 50 yds. -they claim up to 100 on the package but it's more like 50. I've had best locating done with mouth calls on average.

If you live in a high count 'yodee area then you can wait without much calling stress and they will be there.

I see and hear more packs around sunset and mid-night without making a sound. Plus my neighbor has one of the primo packs and it's not any better.

Guest GunTroll

Yeah I was thinking remote control type. Fox Pro is so expensive! I was thinking the power dogg (think thats right) from Primos. Any of you got an opinion on that one. They go for $150 ish.

I haven't called here in TN yet since I moved here. Back in CO I just whent mouth calls.

Yeah I was thinking remote control type. Fox Pro is so expensive! I was thinking the power dogg (think thats right) from Primos. Any of you got an opinion on that one. They go for $150 ish.

I haven't called here in TN yet since I moved here. Back in CO I just whent mouth calls.

The Power Dogg looks nice. I have never used one, but it claims to have a 100yd range with the remote. Looks like a nice call for $150.

Things I would look for is first off would be sound quality and distance the call travels. Remeber if you hunt in the woods you really would need something that is going to be loud and be able to carry through the hollows and ridges. If you hunt open fields/areas then it wouldn't be a problem. Sound quality would be my biggest issue since that is what they hear and if it has poor sound quality it may not convince them to come in.

You could always try and make you one. Look online and see how to "build" you a coyote call. Mine consist of a CD player, amplifier and speaker.

Pic of my setup.

DSCF2789.jpg

Edited by Hunting101

It depends on the call. I have heard some mouth calls that were louder than some of the cheap E-Calls. So I guess it depends on the speaker and the sound quality of the E-Call.

Edited by Hunting101
Guest BEARMAN

I have had real good luck with the Extreme Dimension Phantom Predator E-call. I just switched from the wired model to the wireless pro model (range about 100 yds +) plus you can change out the sound modules and face plates for other game, white tail, bear, elk, moose ect. and the sounds are very realistic.

The whole unit is small and very portable too...the speaker weighs the most...maybe 2 or 3 lbs. :shake:

I bought a FoxPro "Spitfire", just before Christmas, at Dick's in Murfreesboro for $199 +tax. It has a remote and 28 different calls on it. There's five volume levels. I haven't been able to try it out in a stand yet. I did fire it up in an area where I've seen coyotes before, using the "coyote locator" call. Either I stirred them up, or someone else had a call with the same sounds on the other side of the woods. As soon as I can find some place to hunt them, and that Savage .223 I'm looking for, I'll put it to the test, and give you a report.

The Spitfire is the bottom of the line for FoxPro. But the sound quality is good, it's built sturdy, and I think the volume is more than adequate. Coyotes have good hearing...they can hear mice, rabbits, and squirrels from some pretty good distances. It has a removable Micro SD card that you can use your computer to add or delete sounds from. You can buy more of these cards at walley World, for more or different sounds.