Perhaps another into the fold

dunndw

A bit of background...my brother lived in Florida for many many years, so we haven't been very close. Many many years ago, he had his arm around another one of my relatives who was playing my my fathers service revolver and blew his own head off...while my brother was right next to him.

With that background, you can almost understand his complete fear of guns. That's why him calling me a few weeks back wanting to go shooting was a complete shock. He backed out that time, claiming a backache (which he suffers from terribly) so I thought he changed his mind. I told him off handedly that we'd go in a couple of weeks.

Well...I just got back from Guns and Leather with him:)

We ran through a ton of 9mm and .38...he also ran a 10 round mag through my Warrior. He liked the trigger pull...but not the recoil. He is a complete and utter noob when guns. I had to keep reminding myself to help him. I'm used to shooting with people like Len :) (sorry I forgot to call you today bud)

To top it all off...I had put my Nighthawk 10/8 on consignment to help finance the wifes new car fund and it sold this week.

I was so happy (and so many people have been friggin killed in the past few weeks) I picked up a G26 to keep in the console of the truck, and to carry with the 1911 isn't the right tool for that day.

He actually did very well for never shooting a pistol before. Liked the G19 well enough to look at a few of 'em upstairs. I don't think...no..I know he isn't ready to OWN a pistol yet. The controls are foreign to him, trigger safety isn't natural yet, loading the mags was a problem

When the time comes, I'll more than likely steer him towards a wheelgun...or let him load my mags for me a few dozen times until he gets the knack of it

It just brings me pure joy to:

1. Be able to spend more of the day with my brother without their being health problems bringing us together.

2. See him work through his fear of guns enough to actually handle one.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower

That's great to hear. Hopefully he will come back for more and learn what guns are really made for, and be able to apply that in the real world when confronted with all those anti's.

Danny:

Most excellent day! As for not calling me, the next box of .45 is on you!! :)

(Seriously, call me if you want the extra set of eyes.)

Actually, I was penned up in the Nashville Convention Center all day today helping run something called the "Conference on Information Technology" that is being co-hosted by my college. I'm basically in prison for the next few days, at the whim of 2500 conventioneers from around the globe, and so could not have gone even if called. (I was thinking of hitting the G&L range on the drive home...)

It was not so long ago I was a complete newbie with guns, so I can relate to the "first time." Nice to see you re-connect with the brother as well. It may sound a little corny, but I have seen firearms be the conduit for a bond between men. I imagine I'm not the first to see this.

Guest Hyaloid

Glad there may be another shooter in the mix... gladder still you are having fun at it with your brother, and he is overcoming his longtime fears.

Who would have thought shooting can bring so many good things, eh? :(

Len has a great point! Firearms are not only a great way for Men to bond, but its a good time for all sorts of family members. The last time Julie and I were on the range (we spent 6 hours there and had it all to ourselves) we had a great time!

Better still, to see someone you love overcome a hard thing, such as your brother is doing/has done, does nothing but bring pride and satisfaction!

Thanks for that post..it's always nice to hear the good things when so much of the media has the propensity to report only the bad things.

First off I was surprised he even wanted to go. Evidently he and the guy that shot himself were very tight, then there's the whole, standing right next to someone while they accidentally put a bullet into their skull is enough to screw with your head.

He used to not even look at my pistol. I was helping him work on his car once, and took my gun off so I could get under it. He never took his eyes off the gun, even though I unloaded it before I put it on the picnic table. I ended up having to put it in the house becaause he couldn't keep from looking at it.

To have him WANT to go shoot, then for him to do pretty well (47 out of 50 on in the black with a G19) was just a bonus.

Dunndw:

Excellent!

I've had to work through some demons in my past (I imagine many of us have had their fair share...) so I know it can be hard. 47/50 on the black first time out? He might just be a natural -or you're not so bad of a teacher!! :(

Tower:

"The last time Julie and I were on the range (we spent 6 hours there and had it all to ourselves) we had a great time!"

Nothing better than having the place to yourself. If you are not with friends/family, if the range is empty and you can just do your thing -nothing finer.

First off I was surprised he even wanted to go. Evidently he and the guy that shot himself were very tight, then there's the whole, standing right next to someone while they accidentally put a bullet into their skull is enough to screw with your head.

He used to not even look at my pistol. I was helping him work on his car once, and took my gun off so I could get under it. He never took his eyes off the gun, even though I unloaded it before I put it on the picnic table. I ended up having to put it in the house becaause he couldn't keep from looking at it.

To have him WANT to go shoot, then for him to do pretty well (47 out of 50 on in the black with a G19) was just a bonus.