Trying to buy mg from indvidiual ... Paperwork questions

I have decided to go ahead and buy a mac 10/9 from a Tn resident. It is on a form 4. My local dealer says that the seller must fill out a form 3 before his shop can receive it (will be in person not mailed). I looked at the form 3 on the ATF's website and it appears that it is for dealer to dealer transfers? Am I looking at the wrong form? How long does it take for a form 3 to be approved?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest moreland281

The Seller will have to fill out a Form 3 to transfer it to your dealer (he will use the info on his Form 4)

YOu are looking around 2-3 months on Form 3 xfers right now and 6-9 months on form 4 xfers so total I would say you are 1 year out (give or take)

My last F3 to F3 took from June till Oct and I filled out the paperwork in Oct went pending on Nov 30th and I"m still waiting so its not a quick trip.

If the gun is registered in TN on a form 4 you dont have to go through a dealer. You just fill out a form 4 (2 copies) with your information as the transferee and his information as the transferor. Put your pictures on, and send ATF a $200 check and your cert. of compliance and wait. The gun will have to stay with him until your form 4 is approved. Its not really a big deal. My brother did a MG this way and it wasnt a problem. If you have any questions just let me know.

If the gun is registered in TN on a form 4 you dont have to go through a dealer. You just fill out a form 4 (2 copies) with your information as the transferee and his information as the transferor. Put your pictures on, and send ATF a $200 check and your cert. of compliance and wait. The gun will have to stay with him until your form 4 is approved. Its not really a big deal. My brother did a MG this way and it wasnt a problem. If you have any questions just let me know.

I didn't know you could do this. That would save a $100 and a few months of time. I assumed that you had to go through a dealer.

Guest moreland281

If you need the Form 4 (or form 3 if you go that route) and the certificate of compliance let me know I can email them to you in PDF format

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

In TN, just go straight to the form 4. Why wait twice as long and spend more when you don't have to. Now just call the local PD to make sure getting the signature is not a problem (they have to sign but I still recommend you call to ask the CLEO, and ask if they will take your fingerprint on the cards) you need to have the correct fingerprint cards as specified by the Form 4.

I bought a Powder Springs M10/45 back in June for $2600 + $200 tax (out of state form 4) it was approved early November and by late November/Early December I had sent off my Form 4.

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop
In TN, just go straight to the form 4. Why wait twice as long and spend more when you don't have to. Now just call the local PD to make sure getting the signature is not a problem (they have to sign but I still recommend you call to ask the CLEO, and ask if they will take your fingerprint on the cards) you need to have the correct fingerprint cards as specified by the Form 4.

I bought a Powder Springs M10/45 back in June for $2600 + $200 tax (out of state form 4) it was approved early November and by late November/Early December I had sent off my Form 4.

The only advantage for doing a form 3 is that I would be able to shoot it while the paperwork is going through.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

The Form 4 on my M10/45 transferring the gun from the out of state seller to my local SOT took just over 4 months!

An SOT still will not take possession until the Form 3 or Form 4 in question clears, there is no guarantee a Form 3 will be a quick transfer. Not that this matters anyway because if this is an individual transferring to an SOT as I assumed it will still require a Form 4 even if both are in the same state. The Form 3 is only for SOT holder to another SOT holder.

So if you are buying from an in-state individual you can pay twice the tax and wait twice as long to use an SOT as a middle man, or you can pay the tax once and have the typical waiting time.

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop