1st gun show in 7 years

chipperi

Guest Ae-35

If you're not look'n for a gun, you can get good deals on some gear on Sunday afternoon, lot of the guys don't want to haul all that stuff back. I got 3 ammo cans for 10 bucks, they were 8 bucks each Saturday.:koolaid:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pretty much sworn off the RK shows. I don't want to pay admission for the 'priveledge' of being in a building with a bunch of overpriced guns, extremely overpriced ammo, even more overpriced non-gun junk and (as mentioned) beef jerky.

The only firearms I have ever bought at a gunshow were at the one at the National Guard Armory in Maryville. It's one of the ones put on under the heading, "The Great American Gun and Knife Show", formerly "Smoky Mountain Gun and Knife Show." THey have shows in other places, too. The one in Maryville is really small but there is one dealer that has been there both times I have been who has at least reasonable prices. His items usually aren't anything 'collectible' or 'premium', mostly just old, used shooters - some of which might need a little TLC - which is what I look for at gunshows (if I want a new or like new gun, I'll just go to the LGS as he usually has better prices than gunshows, anyway.) Honestly, if that one dealer weren't there I'd probably swear off of that show, too.

The first time I went, I bought a Winchester 190 from him for $79 + tax and background check. Maybe not a 'steal' but I wanted a .22 semiauto rifle and that is cheaper than I have seen one anywhere else. I fired a few times as I got it but it really needed a new inner mag tube assembly - and works perfectly with the new part.

The last time that show was in town, I ended up buying my wife a Savage/Stevens break action single-shot 20 gauge (in basically a 'youth' model setup) and myself an old Sears bolt action 20 gauge (holds 2 in tube mag plus one in chamber) with an adjustable choke for $69 each + tax and background check. They both shoot great as is. Again, maybe not stellar prices but not bad - especially considering that most folks with single-shot shotguns for sale around here seem to think that the barrels are lined in gold and want more for their old beaters than some brand new ones go for.

Edited by JAB

The only gun show I go to is the Wanamaker Tulsa Oklahoma Gun Show. Try to go about every other year. They have a large amount of collector guns but also have other firearms and ammo. More like the old time shows of the 1960's than any other current gun show. And not a beef jerky table in over 4000 tables. Be prepared to spend two days to see it all @ $10 per day but it is worth if you just look. I gave up on local shows a long time ago.

Superposed

I am not so sure I understand why people get fired up against jewelry, jerky and whatnot at gun shows. It is not like they are turning gun dealers away. So without these things there would be a few more empty tables.

As for NASCAR, if you hate it so much why would you inject it into a gunshow thread? Simply do not watch it, duh.

Guest SUNTZU

I'll pay to go to a gun show. Ten bucks is okay by me. I don't want to be in my fifties going, "remember when" about gun shows. Dodging bayonets, barrels, hot coffee, cold drinks, and all. I love it. I like being shoulder to shoulder with people who are proud gun owners. Playing "Who's the undercover" is fun too. I hope to never see the gun shows go away, and I hope that gun show operators and vendors don't get disgruntled and stop this great practice. Carry on! I'll be there in line with my coupon, wallet, and grin.