Appendix Carry

Guest Todd@CIS

Guest Todd@CIS

I decided to give this method a try and see how it works.

BTW, traditional IWB carry has never worked for me for lack of comfort.

I bought this holster...

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/archangelappendixcarryaiwbappendixinsidethewaistband.aspx

...and have been using it with a Glock 19. The holster purchase was kind of an impulse buy. I like it, but I do think it is a bit overpriced.

Comp-Tac has a good looking version for about $25 cheaper, but I have no experience with it.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

Thoughts: I'm surprised at the comfort and level of concealment.

I was especially concerned about comfort in the seated position and I had no issues with that. I do think that with a holster/gun combo that was any longer, I would.

With just a T-shirt, I went about my day with little printing issues.

Pros

*Good level of concealment and comfort.

*Allows me to carry a bigger gun than I might normally do off-duty, just running around town.

*Fast draw.

Cons

*Trigger finger discipline is a must (it ALWAYS is). Technically, a safety rule is being violated when in the seated position as the muzzle is pointed at your leg.

*May not be comfortable for those with a "food blister." As a point of reference, I'm 6'03" and 235lbs...not ripped, not round.

*This method requires a buttoned or untucked shirt/jacket.

Appendix Carry may not be for all, but I thought I'd post my thoughts on it. If I were to stick with this method, a Glock 26/27 may be even better...not because of the length of the barrel, but the shortened butt (the only thing that sometimes slightly printed).

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Though not Appendix Carry, I've always carried a little further around or what is most likely called "Small of the Back" or "6 O'Clock" I guess. I just find it to be the most comfortable (probably due to Food Blister I guess:blush:) and the most concealing. Started out using cheap Uncle Mikes. Worked great for years but then moved up to a nicer leather one (forget the brand) for my USP .40. I purchased a S&W M&P .45 at the Celebration of Liberty Rally last year and had been wanting to carry it but was looking for the right holster. I found it:

Holster2.jpg

It is a Minotaur MTAC Holster also by Comp-Tac and isn't that much more than what you spent. It is by far the BEST I have ever had. Only regret is that I got the "Slide" model which allows the muzzle to protrude below and collect dust bunnies in the barrel. I'm thinking about seeing if Comp-tec will trade out for the specific one for my M&P. The Slide version allows longer slide models to work so you can use the same holster for multiple pistols which may be something you'd want as you could carry a G19, G17 or a G34 all in the same holster.

Edited by DavidD
fixed link
I decided to give this method a try and see how it works.

BTW, traditional IWB carry has never worked for me for lack of comfort.

I bought this holster...

ARCHANGEL APPENDIX CARRY AIWB (Appendix Inside the Waist Band)

...and have been using it with a Glock 19. The holster purchase was kind of an impulse buy. I like it, but I do think it is a bit overpriced.

Comp-Tac has a good looking version for about $25 cheaper, but I have no experience with it.

Inside Waistband Holsters - products new home - Two O'Clock

Thoughts: I'm surprised at the comfort and level of concealment.

I was especially concerned about comfort in the seated position and I had no issues with that. I do think that with a holster/gun combo that was any longer, I would.

With just a T-shirt, I went about my day with little printing issues.

Pros

*Good level of concealment and comfort.

*Allows me to carry a bigger gun than I might normally do off-duty, just running around town.

*Fast draw.

Cons

*Trigger finger discipline is a must (it ALWAYS is). Technically, a safety rule is being violated when in the seated position as the muzzle is pointed at your leg.

*May not be comfortable for those with a "food blister." As a point of reference, I'm 6'03" and 235lbs...not ripped, not round.

*This method requires a buttoned or untucked shirt/jacket.

Appendix Carry may not be for all, but I thought I'd post my thoughts on it. If I were to stick with this method, a Glock 26/27 may be even better...not because of the length of the barrel, but the shortened butt (the only thing that sometimes slightly printed).

Ive carried a Gov. 1911 for years appendix in a Don Hume holster. IMO the greatest asset of this carry is retention and concealment. No "bump frisks" and it keeps the gun in the core power center of the body, so either hand can protect or defend. It does depend on your body type, but most guns with a proper holster can be caried this way.

Good review. I may try this sometime. My only concern is the gun in the seated position pointing at my leg. I know guns don't just go off on their own but I just don't like the thought of the muzzle there. I usually carry IWB around the 4:30 position and sitting is comfortable but the gun tends to tip out a bit more this way. Gonna give the appendix thing a try for a bit.

BTW I think this carry method discriminates against those who have had their appendix removed!:shrug:

Though not Appendix Carry, I've always carried a little further around or what is most likely called "Small of the Back" or "6 O'Clock" I guess. I just find it to be the most comfortable (probably due to Food Blister I guess:blush:) and the most concealing. ...

Be careful with 6:00 carry. It may not conceal as well as you think and it really, really hurts if you ever fall on it.

Only regret is that I got the "Slide" model which allows the muzzle to protrude below and collect dust bunnies in the barrel. I'm thinking about seeing if Comp-tec will trade out for the specific one for my M&P.

I believe Comp-tac sells just the kydex part that holds the pistol so that you can have one holster that fits several different models. Just swap out the kydex.

edit... yep, from here:

Also, the kydex half-bodies (made by Comp-Tac) are interchangeable, so you can order additional holster half-bodies to set your holster up for a different gun.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=98

Edited by peejman

If you carry IWB, "dust bunnies" will collect, whether the barrel protrudes from the end or not. This happens especially with a tuckable holsters. On my XD, I get build up of dust in the trigger area, the "loaded" indicator on top of the slide and in the gap below the firing pin indicator and pretty much anywhere else there is a gap.

To solve this you can do a few things:

1. Clean with gun cleaning rag, wipe it down

2. Use canned air to blow out lent in the gaps

3. Shoot it. Disclaimer: This technique can cause a brief flash when all the lent catches on fire!

If you IWB carry, especially tucked in without a Tshirt between the gun and your body, beware of deodorant. I have heard, and seen a little on mine from time to time, particles from the deodorant can fall onto and into different areas of the gun. That stuff is kind of "gummy" and can possibly cause things to not work properly. Does help keep moisture away....:confused:

Edited by db99wj