Okay, I've got the bug for a suppressor. I think I want one for the 5.56, with my thinking being that I can use it for my AR and for my STG 556. I hear lots of people talk about Yankee Hill, but my dealer here in Knoxville seems to really like AWC. I've also looked at the Gemtechs online. I'm sure there are lots of others I'm missing. For you guys in the know, what do I need to look for?

As a follow up question, does anyone have any experience with the integral suppressors, like this one- Amphibian S .22LR : Suppressor : AWC Systems Technology

Any gotcha's with the integrals?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAC, AWC, and SWR make good stuff. I just ordered a AAC cyclone from Major Malfunction at a hefty discount. Call him he will give you a no bull**** assessment of the suppressors you are interested in. Suppressor companies give a good discount to dealers that order large amounts(10 or more) Some dealer's only carry one brand and will push that suppressor. Talk to more than one guy on this. Your dealer may be a 100% straight up guy, but a 4 month wait+$200 stamp+ $700-$1000 you don't want to be disappointed. Get on :: Index and read. It leans a little towards AAC, but most all of the suppressor manufacturers are on there. You get to talk to the guys that run or own the companies. There is some drama in the NFA world with Gemtech. Don't let it discourage you. They're not bad suppressors, but some will not buy them on principle.

MAJOR MALFUNCTION - Class 3 III NFA dealer - suppressor / silencer sales

Integrals are QUITET, but you can't move it from gun to gun. Most .22 pistol integrals come apart so cleaning is EZ. Center fire rifles are a different story. They are quiet, but they are usually SBR with the suppressor pined or welded on so that it can be a one stamp gun. Cleaning the gun can be tricky. Ever dropped a patch off the end of the rod.

If possible, do everything in your power to shoot a couple suppressors before you buy one. Some people buy one and expect it to be "movie quite" and are unhappy when they actually hear it shoot. You can def. shoot 5.56 without hearing protection but it is nothing like you hear in the movies. I like/shoot .22 cans alot more than any other caiber because they are so close to "movie quite" and you can usually find them for 1/2 the cost of a 5.56. In my personal experince, Gemtech (5.56,9mm rifle) are good stuff and Tactical Innovations (5.56,.22) are good for the price. The only AWC I have shot was on a .45 pistol so I really cant help you with them. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you decide.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Go to silencerresearch.com and get a pay membership to that site. Trust me it is worth it if you are serious about buying because that is about the only place you will get real documented results for every can tested along with video of each to give you an idea of the basic tone each suppressor has. I paid to be a member and did not regret it one bit. That site saved me several hundreds of dollars by avoiding the wrong suppressor.