Your qualifying handgun?

Even though it has been said the law is not as cut and dry as the code...it is a good starting point.

T.C.A. 39-11-611(e)

(e) The threat or use of force against another is not justified:

(1) If the person using force consented to the exact force used or attempted by the other individual;

(2) If the person using force provoked the other individual's use or attempted use of unlawful force, unless:

(A) The person using force abandons the encounter or clearly communicates to the other the intent to do so; and

(:panic: The other person nevertheless continues or attempts to use unlawful force against the person;

I also am not a lawyer....but the way I take it. (e)(1) says if you agreed to a fist fight....then you are in the fist fight and have to take the consiquences. But to me a "nomral" (what ever that is) fist fights doesn't carry the risk of death or serious bodily harm and should stop when one person is down. If it goes beyond that...well then it is that grey area that is being discussed.

(e)(2) appears to say that you can't start a fight with someone then claim any force you used was self-defense unless both (e)(2)(A) and (e)(2)(:wall: are met.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

If I am carrying, I will NOT get into a fight, I will run, or do what it takes to avoid the fight.

BUT, the way it was described to me by several officers, and my instructor:

If you start a fight, then you fight...you cannot walk up to someone, and push them without consequence, your reaction to that consequence cannot be "Shoot him" you should NOT have pushed him to provoke a fight.

It is part of the responsibility that comes with being an armed citizen. You should AVOID confrontation whenever possible.

You are also not justified if the lifestyle you lead is illegal.

in other words, If you choose to deal drugs from your home, you can pretty much bet that you will be robbed... the castle doctrine probably WONT protect you in shooting a burglar. You INVITED the situation by the dealing of drugs.

Avoid fights at all costs. Even if you just want to fist fight, it is so not worth it if you have a real life (not in high school) and a job. The best thing to do is walk away from a loudmouth drunk. He doesn't know what you may do to him if he say pulled a knife, so why make the guy more angry? Just smile and keep trucking. Now if out of the blue you are cornered and somebody is hitting you, then by all means do what you can to get him off you, depending on your physical ability, and still try to escape.

I know Tennessee is a stand your ground state, but as my instructor told our class in Arkansas, it is much better to avoid all conflict, name calling, and showing the bird. Smile with kindness and think that you can take care of yourself if the chips are down in a bad bad way.

As to qualifying with a handgun (wasn't this the original topic?), i had to qualify with a semi automatic to carry a semi auto or a revolver. A tip barrel Beretta does not work where i am from to say you qualified with a semi auto to the AR State Police. If i was still an AR resident i would have to requalify every four years to renew my AR CHL. I've seen a gentleman at a range in North Little Rock requalify who had to shoot two handed, left, and right hand at roughly 20 feet with twenty rounds. I had to shoot 30 feet for my first class. I don't know if that is similar to your initial permit process here? Folks here have told me that you can initially qualify with anything as long as you shoot 50 rounds.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Whew! Finally read through this entire thread.

Makes me glad I'm of the feminine persuasion. Not so many fist fights to avoid. We just bi**hslap each other to death. :rolleyes:

Guest jcramin
Whew! Finally read through this entire thread.

Makes me glad I'm of the feminine persuasion. Not so many fist fights to avoid. We just bi**hslap each other to death. :bowrofl:

OK I gota give it to the girl that was funny.

J

• 2 weeks later...