Intersting Discussion of Japanese Gun Control

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Muttling

This is the same country that maintains a shrine honoring it's Unit 731 and General Ishii's use of POWs for biological weapons experiments then weapons production.

For some odd reason, I'm just not that impressed.

Japan is effectively in a police state. That some recommend a National Police force for the US is chilling. Those same people seem to forget that a government with total power will not always see the way that they do. Everyone would eventually be in the crosshairs. Ever seen the movie "V for Vendetta"?

What's the first thing a Japanese wants to do when he comes to America on business? Shoot a gun. They love guns! They think we're all cowboys. I went to England on business a few years ago. They were astounded by the fact that I owned so many firearms. They also loved my southern accent. I tought'm how to say "Hi ya'll doin'".

People from other countries look to America to remind them what it's like to be free.

People from other countries look to America to remind them what it's like to be free.

The people of a country like Japan have never been "free" or even truly knows what it means. They along with many other nations have strict socio-economic class divisions and have never had a true "democratic" form of government, or a "republic" if you prefer.

Most people on this planet are beholden to their masters...government. It has been so for thousands of years. Luckily we broke that mold but are rapidly going back to it.

Guest 1817ak47

at a place I usedto work did had all there junk made from china. and on occasion those people visited here for business reasons. one of the chinamen wanted pictures taken of him hold guns, likely cause they can't have those there

My European friends are similar in various ways - they've historically never had the freedoms we (supposedly) have. They can't understand why we fight against most ever form of gun control, why we prefer living in a state of 'freedom' which includes greater danger to the individual due to the choices every free man has. They've been brainwashed to think that safety = freedom, and that if they get healthcare and don't have to worry about protecting themselves (though there's obviously still crime), then they're free. To them freedom = freedom from worry.

We don't harp on the differences in our schools enough - people just don't realize that our country is TRULY unique in the freedoms we're afforded. When I hear people talk of healthcare, gun control, etc. and how it works in other countries, no matter how you explain it, it seems they never 'get it' why it won't (or shouldn't be allowed to) work here...

Japan is effectively in a police state. That some recommend a National Police force for the US is chilling. Those same people seem to forget that a government with total power will not always see the way that they do. Everyone would eventually be in the crosshairs. Ever seen the movie "V for Vendetta"?

yes "V for Vendetta" says a lot!

Guest faust921

What does this repression of gun ownership in particular and individuality in general ferment? Over 30,000 suicides in Japan per year for the last 12 years, including teenagers. Consider Japan has a population of only 120 million people, and the supposed number of gun deaths in the U.S. is 50,000 per 325 million U.S residents, farmer's math would demonstrate that the per capita death rate from living in a repressive society is much greater that the chance of death by gun (especially if you are not in a gang or the drug trade).

Guest CrazyLincoln

Good read however, the article assumes we have the same culture and sociology as Japan.

It is a long shot to propose the low murder rate in Japan is due to low weapon possession, since there are so many factors that can affect murder rates. Then to apply their laws to our culture would be completely ineffective.

Here is something else to consider. I am no expert on Japan, but compare our poverty levels and impoverished areas (e.g. the inner-city) to those of Japan. I think you will find quite a difference. And that is by no means the only difference between our two countries.

Good read however, the article assumes we have the same culture and sociology as Japan.

Actually, I think one of the points he clearly makes is that culturally we're very different and that's why similar gun control methods would be resisted here / wouldn't work.

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon

Here is something else to consider. I am no expert on Japan, but compare our poverty levels and impoverished areas (e.g. the inner-city) to those of Japan. I think you will find quite a difference. And that is by no means the only difference between our two countries.

Good point. They don't have as many poor, but they are there. (I lived over there for 2 years while in the Navy.) The way they treat the handicapped or those with physical deformities is pretty barbaric. The movie 'Rising Sun' is a pretty good example of how they work.

Another big factor in crime rates is their society is not diverse at all. The best way I can describe it is to say their society is like an ant colony while ours is a very loose collection of individuals.

Guest HexHead
When I hear people talk of healthcare, gun control, etc. and how it works in other countries, no matter how you explain it, it seems they never 'get it' why it won't (or shouldn't be allowed to) work here...

Simple answer even Euroweenies should be able to grasp... population differences. Most of Europe isn't even a good sized state here. Their systems would collapse under their own weight here.

Simple answer even Euroweenies should be able to grasp... population differences. Most of Europe isn't even a good sized state here. Their systems would collapse under their own weight here.

Well, maybe, maybe not.

Total population:

USA: 304 million

Europe: 731 million

Area:

USA: 9 million sq km

Europe: 10 million sq km

Population density:

USA: 32/sq km

Europe: 70/ sq km

IOW, while overall country sizes are smaller, they're far more dense, and as a Union quite a bit larger population-wise.

Guest HexHead
Well, maybe, maybe not.

Total population:

USA: 304 million

Europe: 731 million

Area:

USA: 9 million sq km

Europe: 10 million sq km

Population density:

USA: 32/sq km

Europe: 70/ sq km

IOW, while overall country sizes are smaller, they're far more dense, and as a Union quite a bit larger population-wise.

But when you look at the individual countries who's systems are held up to us as the model, they are significantly smaller than us. Europe doesn't have one unified health plan or other socialized systems, other than currency.

But when you look at the individual countries who's systems are held up to us as the model, they are significantly smaller than us. Europe doesn't have one unified health plan or other socialized systems, other than currency.

Yah, the point is there are several very large, far more dense countries than ours and their systems work there.

That in no way means they will work here, but it's not because of our 'size' - it's due to the fact that the US is built differently than any other country in the world.

Our individual liberties are unmatched anywhere on earth, and our belief that government is of / for the people instead of the other way around is culturally unique as well.

THAT'S why gun control won't work here - we're free men at our core.