Wow, I could have have had a G34!

glockster157

Well, I should say I could have had a G34 all this time ;). I just bought one this last weekend and I am loving it. I know, with a handle like glockster you would think I would have already had one or shot one but no, I had not. I have had about everything else. The longer barrel never appealed to me before. All I can say, try one some time. You may be surprised, I was.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the darkside. Be warned, they multiply fast.

I have been on the dark side for years, hence the handle Glockster157. But it has been G23's-19's-30's-33's, stuff you carry. I don't think I have ever owned a G17 though I did have a 22 for spell. Didn't like it...so I never thought I would like a G34. I had a Sig P226 I traded for to shoot my lead 9mm loads, hated it. Each to his own but I thought it was way to bulky for a 15 shot 9mm. A 228 might have been more down my alley but not now, I have found my 9mm. Gotta get a cut rifled barrel for the lead but that's ok.

Does anyone know if the G34 came with the ported barrel as the slide is cut out at the top but the barrel is not ported. That is fine with me as I am going with a lot of lead anyways but I wouldn't mind trading the stock barrel for a ported one.

Since I want a G34 range gun, I did a little research and IIRC all G34s come with the slide cut out that way for just a weight reduction. I could be wrong though. Sorry I misunderstood your first post. I did think it was funny that your name was Glockster and this G34 was your first Glock.

The cut-out in the slide on a G34 is so that it's slide is the same weight as a G17's, has nothing to do with any compensator, except for the longer barrel and slide all parts interchange and they're the same gun and work and act the same way.

The cut-out in the slide on a G34 is so that it's slide is the same weight as a G17's, has nothing to do with any compensator, except for the longer barrel and slide all parts interchange and they're the same gun and work and act the same way.

Thank you, makes sense. I do like the lighter trigger as I don't plan on using this gun in a defensive role. Has anybody tried the Glock adjustable sights? This has a decent set of Meprolights on it. I will probably transfer them to a 19 I am planning to acquire and put standard one on the 34...might as well put a decent target sight on it.

... Has anybody tried the Glock adjustable sights? This has a decent set of Meprolights on it. I will probably transfer them to a 19 I am planning to acquire and put standard one on the 34...might as well put a decent target sight on it.

Mine has the Glock adjustables and my advice, get another brand. IMO, they leave a lot to be desired. Congrats on the G34.

Does the longer sight radius really make it better than a 17? I'm just asking because I have a 19 and 26 and I've thought about getting a 17 for a range/HD/maybe occasional backwoods carry gun. Since it wouldn't really be for carry, would you recommend a 34 instead? :cool:

I bought my 34 specifically for the range and as such, opted for the longer sight radius/barrel. I cannot truly tell you if it is really any more accurate than the 17 however I for sure am more accurate with it than I am my my 19 at 15 yards.

This thread needs some pics:

G19G343.jpg

Thank you, makes sense. I do like the lighter trigger as I don't plan on using this gun in a defensive role. Has anybody tried the Glock adjustable sights? This has a decent set of Meprolights on it. I will probably transfer them to a 19 I am planning to acquire and put standard one on the 34...might as well put a decent target sight on it.

G34's with a set of Warren/Sevigny competition sights on them are ubiquitous at gun matches for a reason, they're made for each other. I prefer Ameriglo's myself because I can get the same ratio as the Warren/Sevigny's at a normal .165" height that isn't a six o'clock hold that works better for me, a plain black rear with a .150 wide rear notch matched to a .125-.115 thin front is pretty awesome (I like the luminova ones as they're like fiber that you won't/can't break).

Does the longer sight radius really make it better than a 17? I'm just asking because I have a 19 and 26 and I've thought about getting a 17 for a range/HD/maybe occasional backwoods carry gun. Since it wouldn't really be for carry, would you recommend a 34 instead? :popcorn:

It depends... I've had all/both and have come around to one G17 that does it all for me... The longer sight radius is indeed better out past 15 yards, but in my case I pretty much shoot a 17 as well as a 34 and have found that I can conceal the extra 1/2" over a 19 too. YMMV.

Does the longer sight radius really make it better than a 17? I'm just asking because I have a 19 and 26 and I've thought about getting a 17 for a range/HD/maybe occasional backwoods carry gun. Since it wouldn't really be for carry, would you recommend a 34 instead? :popcorn:

I cut out the middle men and went with a 26 and 34. I'm really happy with my decision. The g34 is a great range piece and the 26 is a great carry piece.

I cut out the middle men and went with a 26 and 34. I'm really happy with my decision. The g34 is a great range piece and the 26 is a great carry piece.

I agree on the baby Glocks. I have a 27 and a 9mm conversion barrel for it, BTW I have that like new barrel listed in the gear section(shameless plug here) as I need a cut rifled barrel for the G34 and I don't need a 9mm barrel for the 27.

One other thing CK1, what about a peep sight/ghost ring type rear sight? Seems like it would be quicker. Do any of the competitors shoot lead in the Glock barrel? Please no lead lectures, I have read a buzzillion posts on the Glock lead issue. I have shot lead in polygonal barrels, Glock and HK, before I knew you shouldn't without a problem. Maybe I am lucky or it could be I actually clean my barrels.

I agree on the baby Glocks. I have a 27 and a 9mm conversion barrel for it, BTW I have that like new barrel listed in the gear section(shameless plug here) as I need a cut rifled barrel for the G34 and I don't need a 9mm barrel for the 27.

One other thing CK1, what about a peep sight/ghost ring type rear sight? Seems like it would be quicker. Do any of the competitors shoot lead in the Glock barrel? Please no lead lectures, I have read a buzzillion posts on the Glock lead issue. I have shot lead in polygonal barrels, Glock and HK, before I knew you shouldn't without a problem. Maybe I am lucky or it could be I actually clean my barrels.

I don't know about a ghost ring/peep sight on a Glock, I think I know what you're talking about if you're thinking the Ameriglo one... I've heard they're good for "old eyes", don't think we're quite there yet...

I will say that I'm totally a believer in the whole extra wide-rear-notch thing... Another reason I like Ameriglo's is that they offer their sights in many different size specs for guys who want to really dial in what works for their eyes... I've been running an extra wide .180 rear notch for almost a year now and absolutely hate shooting other peoples guns with "regular old closed-in" sights, mine rock.

Rick at Ameriglo actually sent me a couple new one's to check out, but think I'm set on the one's I'm running so check your inbox, I'll keep the karma going... PM sent.

That makes sense, but the 19 was my first handgun and it would be the last one I'd get rid of since it is easy to carry and still has great capacity. If two is good, three would better, right? Back to the point of the thread, congrats on the G34.

Does the longer sight radius really make it better than a 17? I'm just asking because I have a 19 and 26 and I've thought about getting a 17 for a range/HD/maybe occasional backwoods carry gun. Since it wouldn't really be for carry, would you recommend a 34 instead? :poop:

In a competition-type enviroment, get a 34 if you are fast, but looking for more accuracy. Get a 17 if you are happy with your accuracy, but want to pick up speed. I'm not convinced that any Glock is more accurate than any other Glock. I am convinced that the bigger Glocks are easier to shoot quickly and accurately. If you are looking for strictly a range/house gun, might as well go ahead and get the 34. The difference in trigger pull weight is almost negligible.

+1 on wider rear sights--that daylight on each side of the front sight does wonders for speed.

Well, those could be worth trying out I guess if you wanted to, just know that they're IDPA illegal so if you wanted to shoot that 34 at any of the matches you'd be DQ'd from the start and just be shooting for fun.

Good luck.

Well, those could be worth trying out I guess if you wanted to, just know that they're IDPA illegal so if you wanted to shoot that 34 at any of the matches you'd be DQ'd from the start and just be shooting for fun.

Good luck.

Do they have to have stock sights on them in order to compete?