ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY

Guest Mad4rcn

Guest Mad4rcn

My son will be home in a few months from deployment and has expressed interest in getting HCP.My question is,does he have to take the handgun course or will he be exempt from that end of the process and just have to pay the fee and fill out application and receive his permit.Thanks in advance.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has to have a letter. Normally signed by the CO or his representative stated that

he has qualified with a sidearm and has had set number of hour of training.

Daniel, a moderator on here works for the Army during the day. He should be able to

help with the format. I believe he went this route, so give him a PM.

Handgun Carry Permit Qualifications and Requirements

# Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements. Those current exceptions are applicants who prove to the department that within five (5) years from the date of application for handgun permit, the applicant has:

1. Been certified by the police officer's standards and training commission, or

2. successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy; or

3. successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guards; or

4. successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

I provided a memo with my company's letter head listing class instruction time and range qualification signed by my Company Commander. I also brought my signed score card which was not required.

Guest nicholsmf

Here's the letter that worked for me. It may be overkill but we wrote everything we honestly could into the letter to avoid possibly mising something they needed to know.

letter.jpg

Guest redbarron06

I used a memo that I had qualified in AFG on the M9 pistol using a simulator and TDOS accecpted it. As long as it is signed by CDR/1SG and stating at least four hours and he can submit it.

• 1 year later...

I don't have a copy of mine available, but a simple statement on unit letterhead should be sufficient. I would suggest an O-3 or above be on the signature block. It doesn't have to be a uniform statement, as in my memo from the commander wasn't the same as other folks. I just typed up a memo which verified that I had received X hours of pistol training and was qualified with my service pistol, put an O-3 in the signature block and had him sign it. I also included certificates from various military and vendor training facilities to add weight and perhaps speed up the process. I don't know if that mattered or not, but I didn't want to leave anything to question.

As stated above. On letter head with your name and rank, statement stating 4 hour or better of classroom training and what type of pistol. What you shot, Expert, Sharpshooter or Marksman. I have signed them as 1SG. I have signed them for the Company Commander. I have even had my Training NCO sign them. Make sure you have you ID card and you should be good to go. Going in uniform helps for some reason. At least it has for me.

Department of the Army

A co 1-99 INF, 777 Airborne Division

BLDG 1234 Candyland St.

Fort Armpit, TN 33333-0000

MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD: 30 February, 2012

SUBJECT: Verification of Pistol Marksmanship Training/Qualification

1. In accordance with semi-annual pistol marksmanship training requirements, PFC Schmedlap Q. Snuffy has completed the following training and has met or exceeded qualification standards.

a. Pistol Safety and Maintenance training; 4 hours. Completed 01 February, 2012, BLDG 1212, Fort Armpit, TN.

b. Advanced Pistol Marksmanship Training; 4 hours. Completed 02 February, 2012, Range 17A, Fort Armpit, TN.

c. M9 Pistol Qualification: Expert; 29/30. Completed 02 February, 2012, Range 17B, Fort Armpit, TN.

2. POC for this memorandum is SSG Giantpogue, 1-99 S-1 NCOIC, at (555) 321-1234.

GEORGE S. PATTON

CPT, INF

COMMANDING

I haven't written a memo in years, but something along this lines should do it. I'm sure the memo format is jacked up by current standards, so an officer might make you fix it but the DOS doesn't care if it doesn't meet Army writing guide standards. Type up the memo then give it to the commander to sign. Then make copies and take this with you to the DMV. It wouldn't hurt to attach your qualification sheet and any formal training certificates you've receive in the past 5 years in respect to pistol training. I included all my certificates with my memo and I had no issues; 12 days until my HCP showed up.

Edited by TMF 18B
ahhh, it won't indent subparagraphs and signature blocks!!!

Department of the Army

BLDG 1234 Candyland St.

1. In accordance with semi-annual pistol marksmanship training requirements, PFC Schmedlap Q. Snuffy has completed the following training and has met or exceeded qualification standards.

a. Pistol Safety and Maintenance training; 4 hours. Completed 01 February, 2012, BLDG 1212, Fort Armpit, TN.

b. Advanced Pistol Marksmanship Training; 4 hours. Completed 02 February, 2012, Range 17A, Fort Armpit, TN.

c. M9 Pistol Qualification: Expert; 29/30. Completed 02 February, 2012, Range 17B, Fort Armpit, TN.

2. POC for this memorandum is SSG Giantpogue, 1-99 S-1 NCOIC, at (555) 321-1234.

GEORGE S. PATTON

CPT, INF

COMMANDING

I haven't written a memo in years, but something along this lines should do it. I'm sure the memo format is jacked up by current standards, so an officer might make you fix it but the DOS doesn't care if it doesn't meet Army writing guide standards. Type up the memo then give it to the commander to sign. Then make copies and take this with you to the DMV. It wouldn't hurt to attach your qualification sheet and any formal training certificates you've receive in the past 5 years in respect to pistol training. I included all my certificates with my memo and I had no issues; 12 days until my HCP showed up.

That's the ticket. Looks great. We just typed a statement. Sometimes one paragraph. I know SSG Giantpouge. Served with him in the DFAC.

Are you sure you're not a 42A? Thanks for the morning laugh! ;)

Guest bkelm18

Department of the Army

BLDG 1234 Candyland St.

GEORGE S. PATTON

CPT, INF

COMMANDING

Patton was your C/O? Dang, you're old. ;)

That's the ticket. Looks great. We just typed a statement. Sometimes one paragraph. I know SSG Giantpouge. Served with him in the DFAC.Are you sure you're not a 42A? Thanks for the morning laugh! :)
Ha, no prob. I've been meaning to zapgrab that chairborne logo; now that's good stuff right there. Giantpogue likey the DFAC, don't he?
Guest WyattEarp
He wont if he qualifies with the M9.

been 10 years since I was in, but I thought unless you were an MP, they only provided sidearms to officers?

we never received any training or qualified with a sidearm when I was in as an enlisted soldier.

Guest redbarron06
been 10 years since I was in, but I thought unless you were an MP, they only provided sidearms to officers?

we never received any training or qualified with a sidearm when I was in as an enlisted soldier.

Actually until just a few years ago they didn't even issue aircrews rifles. All we shot with we're pistols unless you were slotted as door gunners.

Nope. I've only heard that being a Marine Corps thing. Nearly everyone has a pistol nowadays. For those that don't, they can always get with their chain of command and ask to qualify with an M9 the next time the unit conducts pistol qualifications. I can't see a Plt Sergeant turning down one of his joes if he's doing it for the purpose of getting a HCP.