Black Powder Rifle Kit - Suggestions / Recommendations

Guest pjblurton

Guest pjblurton

I have been tinkering with the idea of getting into black powder...

I would like to find an nice entry-level kit that I could build myself and take shooting from time to time. I prefer models that look old and use percussion caps rather than flint-lock.

Have any of you guys had any exposure with any kit manufacturers and if so, are there any that you would recommend?

The other thing is, do you know of any places in west tennessee that will allow you to shoot black powder? (other than MSSA)

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built a Kentucky Rifle about 20 years ago from a kit by CVA. I still shoot mine and love it. The only thing I've done was replace the rear sights with better ones. You can "Google" muzzler kits and find all kinds of people that sell them. Some are pretty pricey though.

Guest pjblurton

Thanks Shug...

I was looking at a Kentucky Rifle from Traditions... (Traditions Performance Firearms)

KENTUCKY%20RIFLE_L.jpg

I've read reviews, good and bad. (Most of the bad reviews sound like they were written by folks with little to no experience working with wood or firearms...)

I would love to hear from other guys that have done this one or other similar kits.

Edited by pjblurton
I built a Kentucky Rifle about 20 years ago from a kit by CVA.

Me too - about 10 years ago. It's like tying your own trout flies, then catching a fish with them.. It feels great to shoot with something you put together and finished.

Tip Curtis Frontier Shop in Cross Plains, Tn is a great place to get what you need. He has guns in the white. They are already put together but need the wood and the barrels finished. You will not be disappointed. He is great in answering all you questions. He took me in the back and showed me what to do and how to do it. He is reallly great with his customers. Just north of Nashville on I-65 and not far off the interstate. Phone number 615-654-4445 call for directions.

Guest 10mm4me

Man, you can find a used Thompson/Center Hawken for $150 easy, they have a lifetime warranty. I have one that is over 25 yrs old and still running perfectly. I would go that route.

Guest gcrookston

In your situation I believe it would be worth the time to take a trip out to Union City and Visit Dixie gun works. They are staffed with knowledgeable people who can easily answer all your questions and stock almost everything you need to assemble on of their line up. When I was there last they have guns available in various stages of completion along with plenty of C&R's for sale.

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Guest pjblurton
In your situation I believe it would be worth the time to take a trip out to Union City and Visit Dixie gun works. They are staffed with knowledgeable people who can easily answer all your questions and stock almost everything you need to assemble on of their line up. When I was there last they have guns available in various stages of completion along with plenty of C&R's for sale.

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Sounds like a road trip is in order...

• 4 months later...
Guest pjblurton

Thanks to all those that recommended Dixie Gun Works... I made the road trip up to Union City and picked up Dixie's version of the Hawken rifle in .54 cal...

The stock is pretty well roughed in, Just a little bit of inletting and some sanding. This is a really pretty piece of walnut. Should make for a sweet shooter.

The folks at Dixie couldn't have been nicer. Even went through the antique car musem when I was finished trading...

I'll get some pic up once it's finished.

Building rifles is alot of fun. I build flintlocks from scratch and shoot/hunt with them daily. I prefer flint over "nipple huggers" (percussion). If needed, I can find a piece of flint laying on the ground any where. I've yet to find a "cap" laying on the ground some where! LOL!

Guest pjblurton
If needed, I can find a piece of flint laying on the ground any where. I've yet to find a "cap" laying on the ground some where! LOL!

This is true, but I bought this can that has, like, 100 of 'em in it....