Kimber Ultra CDP II Range Report

Guest cheez

Guest cheez

Well I began the breakin procedure on the new Kimber over the weekend. Took it with me to the HCP course along with my time tested G23. The instructor gave us an hour lunch break and said we could use the range if we wanted. I hung a target and began firing the Kimber. Using some cheap Atlanta Arms range ammo (230 gr ball) I shot a ragged hole at 3 yds and 7 yds. 10 yds opened up to about 1-1/2 inches and at 15 yds I was shooting slightly over 3 inch groups. All I could say is WOW! This little pistol is amazing to put it mildly. I ran a hundred rounds of the AA through without a single hiccup whatsoever. Then I swapped over to some Blazer aluminum. Groups at 3 and 7 yds stayed the same although the Blazer was shooting slightly left. 10 yds opened up to about 3-1/2 inches and 15 yds opened up to about 4-1/2 inches. All groups were pushing slightly left. I slowed down a bit and took my time and my grouping moved back closer to center. With the Blazer I had one failure to return to battery. By now though the gun was totally filthy.

I fired 50 rounds through the Glock but could not beat the Kimber no way no fashion. I decided to use the dirty Kimber to qualify with. I scored a 98 on the qualifying. Needless to say I am sold on this pistol. Matter of fact I will be getting a bigger Kimber very shortly.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cheez
Told you. Mine is more accurate than I am.

When the weather warms up, we need to go shoot.:D

We are going to do that very thing. Maybe by the time the weather warms up I'll have another 1911.:chill:

Guest BigShot
Glad to hear someone had good luck with their CDP II mine is a lemon. Has been nothin' but a heartbreaker.

If you are serious... maybe you should trade it to me!! Takes a little time but I'll make that sweet puppy hunt. Let me know in a PM.

BigShot :P

Guest BigShot

By the way, Cheez, you gonna be HOOKED with the 1911 family. Those plastic guns will be like a morning fog and kinda fade away... CONGRATS!! :P

If you are serious... maybe you should trade it to me!! Takes a little time but I'll make that sweet puppy hunt. Let me know in a PM.

BigShot :cool:

It was a gift from my parents when I graduated from college. If it weren't for that it would already be gone. Maybe you could give me some tips on how to make the gun function reliably cause I really wanna love that gun. I just can't.

Guest BigShot

Just my humble opinion but... best 1911 advice I can give to get and keep a new piece slick and reliable is use gun grease on the slide instead gun oil.

2nd is polish the feed ramp "gently" , no sanding! Just polish.

3rd is the tilt test. If the slide feels gritty or does not freely slide when tilted without the recoil spring installed, it may need polishing too. no sanding there either. just shining.

You get those three happening and it should be good to go.

That's been my experience, anyways.

Hope that helps!! :D

Guest cheez
By the way, Cheez, you gonna be HOOKED with the 1911 family. Those plastic guns will be like a morning fog and kinda fade away... CONGRATS!! :)

I'm on the way there but not totally. My Glock 23 will always have a place in my arsenal. 14 rounds of .40 caliber totally reliable power is a bit too hard to walk away from. I did part with my custom G36 to buy the Wilson though. :D