Sig Sauer 556 review

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

First off, I really don't like new-"new" guns. I'll build them or have them built, but generally I stay within the lines of 1900-1975 Military and 1919-1969 Civilian and Target weapons. I do occasionally venture beyond these guidelines for special weapons.

I watched the development of the 416 and POF piston driven varients of the AR15, for no other reason than I've always liked AR's and have owned a few dozen over the years, from bone cold first generation SP1s, to Tack drivers like the Armalite M15-a4(t) and the Cobb .338. I also have an affinity for HK 93's and 91's...

So when Sig announced they were finally going to give the US a version of 550 series rifles in 5.56, I got interested, having had the opportunity a few years ago to shoot a 550 and found it then "dreamy". A half minute weapon with a full fun capacity.

For months I watched hundreds of advertised specials above the $1,299.00 suggested MSRP for the base model and read everything I could find about it.

Came the annual sale of Speciality Arms II two weeks ago, and that was wholey unfair. I was there for some laser grips. Not only did they have the 556 in stock and well below MSRP, they also had a very nice little Winchester 50 in 20g. at well below blue book, and I've been wanting one of these. Sumunabreaches. I recommend you all go to the sale next year, but leave your wallet at home...

Friday I walked into Coal Creek Armory, Knoxville. They had what I needed. Basically they had a vintage ANIB S&W model 41 with the 7" barrel I prefer on this model, at a horribly reasonable price. But what they really had was a Valdada IOR 2.5x10 scope in a sunweathered box. For those of you that don't know these scopes, go find one. I've several... Seems they always come in sunweathered boxes marked down and down...

These are great scopes. Nil parallax and about 4" eye relief. I'll put them up against a Leupold or Ziess costing 2 times as much any day... and they had the Harris bipod and ARMS rail adaptor I needed (I already had some ARMS #22 rings that fit quite nicely on the 30mm IOR tube).

So, today, after mounting the scope on the Sig 556 and taking the puny little holosight that came with the rifle on my Ruger MkIII slabside, off to the range on 171 I went.

With no spotter, it took me an enormous amount of rounds to get to paper... I almost gave up. The ground was wet and I'm used to Colorado where dust clouds allow you to make easy adjustments and I had no spotter.

I took LC 77 and 98 M193 ball for the sight-in task. Once I got zeroed on paper, I bore snaked and switched to BlackHills 52 gr. BTHP. I missed bringing some lube and solvent (they were sitting by my workbench when I got home...)

I shot 10 / 5 round groups @ 100 yards. Call it barrel break-in.

Mean average was 3.5 MOA. without flyers on the 1st round (which seems to be consistant), I was 1.0 MOA.

What do I think of this rifle?

The trigger has a crisp 2 stage pickup (which I prefer), of about 4#, and is near match quality.

The rifle never failed in cycling and was flawless in function.

The furniture of this gun is terrible (I'd read and now confirm this; so nothing new). The fore arm at best is "cheesy" the AR type telescoping butt stock is atrocious. All the plastic on this gun won't let you get on it and hold it down true to the target.

Summary: Combat and plinking gun... 5 of 5 stars.

It has a Commercial Tube, magpul doesn't make the PRS for this, but when they do, I'll slap one on there after and get a more steady forearm like they offer on the SWAT version of this rifle. I think I can get it down to less than a MOA weapon, but I wasn't able to get on the gun with any security and I blame the cheap plastic bits that kept wabbling around no matter how I tried to get hold of this gun... Shame on Sig for this. 1 of 5 stars for cutting corners. Shame and Shame on them for surrounding such an excellent weapon with all this plast 3rd world crap... Imagine a Ferrari fitted with 35mph donut spares; well that would be the idea on this weapon.

I believe this can be a great rifle with excellent accurracy. Just throw away the furniture.

dsc00017rs8.th.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Your sentiments regarding the furniture mirror my own thoughts. Hornet Handler was fondling one of these rifles at Hero Gear last weekend and while I think that the gas piston design is a nice one, I'm still not feeling the plastic fore grip or the cheesy M4gery collapsible stock. The stock really seems like an afterthought.

I wonder how long until someone starts producing some decent looking aftermarket furniture for them.

Guest gcrookston

I wonder how long until someone starts producing some decent looking aftermarket furniture for them.

I really believe this could be an excellent weapon with some decent furniture on it. The rifle is too wobbly with existing stocks. I hadn't any sand bags to further my assumptions. But this thing is rickety at best with the hard points (I use that term loosely), provided.

Guest bkelm18

I fondled one at Gander Mountain. I liked it. If I were made of money I'd definitely own one, then again, what gun wouldn't I own if I were made of money. :biglol:

• 11 months later...
Guest travis2u

Wow! interesting review. I own a Sig 556 (pistol) w/ folding stock among many other ARs and I must say your review is off. This AR is absolutely awesome. It is butter smooth. A lot people bitch about how heavy it i on the front end. Well I agree when you just hold it, but when fired the heavier front really balances the gun out. The "furnture" so to speak is not that bad. I actually prefer the plastic to the metal quad rail, It holds up in combat much better. No scuff and doesn't attract dirt. This gun is awesome, if you can afford one buy it now!

Guest Halfpint
It has a Commercial Tube, magpul doesn't make the PRS for this, but when they do, I'll slap one on there after and get a more steady forearm like they offer on the SWAT version of this rifle. I think I can get it down to less than a MOA weapon, but I wasn't able to get on the gun with any security and I blame the cheap plastic bits that kept wabbling around no matter how I tried to get hold of this gun... Shame on Sig for this.
Your sentiments regarding the furniture mirror my own thoughts. Hornet Handler was fondling one of these rifles at Hero Gear last weekend and while I think that the gas piston design is a nice one, I'm still not feeling the plastic fore grip or the cheesy M4gery collapsible stock. The stock really seems like an afterthought.

I've seen some fitted with CTR stocks, a cop buddy says he is going to swap one onto his and see what it's like. IIRC, the "DMR" version, though grossly overpriced for what you get--longer barrel, NO flash-hider, same crappy fore-end as the standard version--at least includes a PRS stock.

Overall, though, I agree with most everybody's sentiments on the rifle--great design, but the shifty plastic fore-end and poorly-thought-out stock take some of the joy out of shooting it. Maybe it's because I'm smaller framed (read: short, with corresponding small hands) but I'm not feeling the SAW-type pistol grip much either.

Meh. Thanks, Sig? :rolleyes:

Guest gcrookston

A whole year has transpired since I wrote that review. Since then I've added a Magpul stock, a harris bipod and it comfortably shoots 1 MOA with 52 grain blackhills....

DSC00018.jpg

Guest HexHead

I've got one I added a Trijicon Tri-power to and I love it. I don't have a problem with the fore end stock. It's lot's more comfortable that the quad rail on the SWAT version and dissipates heat better than the 551 furniture. I agree that the rear stock is crap. First time I fired it, I was shocked at how much flex type movement the rifle had. I need to get something better for back there.

Great rifle though, it's just tough finding heavier than 55gr .223.

Guest gcrookston
I've got one I added a Trijicon Tri-power to and I love it. I don't have a problem with the fore end stock. It's lot's more comfortable that the quad rail on the SWAT version and dissipates heat better than the 551 furniture. I agree that the rear stock is crap. First time I fired it, I was shocked at how much flex type movement the rifle had. I need to get something better for back there.

Great rifle though, it's just tough finding heavier than 55gr .223.

I too decided to keep the forestock. After it's ugliness, the heat-dicipation factor kicks in. The rear stock went in the garbage. Sites are needed for this gun, the emergancy sites provided are crap.