What do I need

323ssplt

OK, here is the deal. I have built several AR lowers over the past couple of years but have never attempted to build any uppers. My best friend and I were talking the other day about the several different ways we want to set up the ARs we currently have (I have three lowers that need to be utilized) and we decided to maybe start building our own uppers.

So, my question to all of you knowledgeable folks out there is this: What all do I need to purchase in order to start building uppers, and what is the approximate cost. Now, I already have several punches and screwdriver sets that I have used for the lowers, so what do I need specific to the uppers. I plan on building all kinds of uppers, from standard M-4 style to long range precision etc.

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will get from you fellow TGOers :up:

PS. Mods if you think this better belongs in the Gunsmithing section please feel free to move. It was a toss up for me as to where I should post this.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR
A torque wrench and barrel wrench, some moly grease, rubber strap wrenches for muzzle breaks and comps, an action block like this DPMS Upper Receiver Action Block AR-15 Delrin - MidwayUSA

That is all that comes to mind right away

What he said will do most anything that you need. BROWNELLS : AR-15/M16 UPPER RECEIVER ACTION BLOCK - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools is another choice of blocks that works well, also.

Weren't you a sniper? Did you guys not mess with/customize AR's? Not trying to be mean just curious.

Actually, No. Here is the deal. To become a USMC sniper, you make the decision to try out for a sniper unit by going through the "indoc". If you make it you join the platoon. Once the command sees that you are ready, and funds are available you are sent to sniper school. I did all of that. However, all of our weapons are built by PWS (Precision Weapon Shop at Quantico by 2112 armorers). We deal with accurate wepons all the time, but we have no part in making them so. At most, we might be "allowed" to customize our personal weapons, such as adding single point sling addapters, different grips etc. I personally know the "techicalities" of what makes a precision weapon as such, but I have never been involved with the actual building of them. I know how to shoot them, but am ignorant as to how to build them.

And absolutely no offense taken.

I just finished my first AR. I built it (including the upper), and it was a lot of fun. A sturdy vice and action block is a must.

I referenced the Brownell's videos GunTech : How to Build An AR-15 Video - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools and this article Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM . Lot's of good info there, and it helped me to see it being done.

A headspace guage is another item if you plan to check it.

Edited by Batman