AZ - looking at Conceal Carry without Permit

Guest HvyMtl

Guest HvyMtl

Preliminary approval for carrying concealed weapon without permit | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Yahoo News

Anyone got more info on this? It seems Arizona's Legislature is considering allowing any gun owner permission to conceal carry, without a permit. So, no background check, and no training classes would be required for conceal carry.

Thoughts?

I think the permit may not be necessary, but I do believe a criminal background check and training are. My training class was excellent, and informative. Perhaps AZ's background check at point of purchase is extensive enough?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks to me that someone in AZ has the right line of thought.

Criminals already conceal without permits, the crime rate in Phoenix is terrible. In the five days I was out there gun crimes were on the news daily.

All taxing people to have the right to carry does is keep honest law abiding citizens from doing it, especially those that really have to pinch their pennies. And essentially the fees we pay for the right to carry are taxes.

Nothing like figuring out ways to keep the poor man down.

Right on arizona, I hope you make this happen.

Doing google searches for this topic pulled up another similar az post about a year ago. Looks like it's an old issue:

Arizona officers fight concealed gun proposal

EDIT: PS. Is this page current? Which states allow open carry in US? (Full List) - International Business Times -

the story the OP posted is dated March 23,2010. I am guessing this is a second try to get it through.

Guest 6.8 AR
Arizona has the right idea. Maybe they figured out what "shall not infringe" means. Do you think Tennessee can figure it out too?

Nice idea. They know it is the right idea, but giving up revenue won't happen

any time soon. Bredesen would parade many more cops for group photos to

stop this.

Guest HvyMtl

Hmm. The article points to two other states that already have conceal carry w/o permits. I guess Texas for one. Anyone know the other state?

As a permit holder here, I had thought the class was just not necessary, until I took it. Makes me more aware and confident in my actions if the dire need arises... The background check goes towards keeping criminals away from guns... (for the sake of argument... we all know background checks, sadly, do not prevent criminals from having guns.)

Hmm. The article points to two other states that already have conceal carry w/o permits. I guess Texas for one. Anyone know the other state?

Texas is more restrictive than TN in some ways.

No open carry there, even WITH permit, for example.

Probably Vermont and Alaska.

- OS

The background check goes towards keeping criminals away from guns... (for the sake of argument... we all know background checks, sadly, do not prevent criminals from having guns.)

background checks do nothing if someone is motivated to carry regardless, so why even mention it.

Texan's must carry concealed with a permit , printing can even be construed as brandishing. No permit no carry period there.

OS has it right as to where you can carry concealed without paying a tax.

Gun laws only apply to the law abiding.<!-- / message -->

Guest HvyMtl

I wonder, Mike.357, when most people will realize your statement,"Gun laws only apply to the law abiding," for its simple straight forward truth. I would probably add "and to the caught." or something like to the end.

So it is not Texas, - what are the 2 other states that already allow this?

Mentioned the background check "for the sake of argument" and the additional point those opposed will point to this as a "critical" reason not to allow the change...

So it is not Texas, - what are the 2 other states that already allow this?

We already said, Vermont and Alaska.

Alaska actually gives you every benefit possible -- lets you get a permit to carry concealed if you want to, so you can carry in other reciprocal states, but doesn't require one to carry concealed in Alaska.

I don't think Vermont does that though?

- OS

Guest HvyMtl

Ah so you confirmed, your "Probably," thanks OhShoot.

Ok, Alaska, makes sense... Vermont? Hmm. Well I guess they do have a tendency of telling their neighbors to leave them alone, they will do whatever they want...

Surprised none are in the South, the way everyone claims us to be so gun loving. Well I hope our Legislature keeps moving in the right direction.

We already said, Vermont and Alaska.

Alaska actually gives you every benefit possible -- lets you get a permit to carry concealed if you want to, so you can carry in other reciprocal states, but doesn't require one to carry concealed in Alaska.

I don't think Vermont does that though?

- OS

Correct

That is one reason even if TN did go like AK, I would probably still get a permit, so I could carry in other states. But it would be nice not to need one to carry in your own state of residence.

On TX....at least they have there defense of property laws right. :crazy:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest oldsmobile98

Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit

The governor signed it into law. They will be the third state to take the stance that you don't need permission to exercise a civil right. Well done, Arizona.

Tennessee is next!!

The day Tennessee allows concealed carry without a permit I'll eat my cats litter box... and the cat.

Quoting this for future reference. I will be getting this on video.