Traveling to Kentucky. CC laws

Guest db99wj

Headed to Louisville, KY mid week for a few days, any tips or suggestions on legal stuff.

This is what I found so far on where not to carry, from Handgunlaw.us and http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm#restrict

Restrictions on Carrying by Qualified License Holders

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

• Police station or sheriff's office.

• Detention facility, prison or jail.

• Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).

• County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.

• Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.

• General Assembly session, including committee meetings.

• Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.

• Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).

• Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.

• Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.

• Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

In addition to the above restrictions, units of state and local governments and postsecondary education facilities (colleges, universities, technical schools and community colleges) have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them (KRS 237.115). You should check with units of state and local government as well as postsecondary education facilities prior to carrying a concealed weapon on their property.

Also, KRS 527.070 prohibits unlawful possession (whether carried openly or concealed) of a weapon on school property, except for certain specified exceptions. KRS 244.125 prohibits loaded firearms (concealed or otherwise) in places where alcohol is sold by the drink, except for certain specified exceptions.

Anybody know what "certain specified exceptions" include?

What about a military base, like Fort Knox. If I have time, I thought about going back and seeing those wonderful sites that I experienced in basic and AIT!!

Any other advice?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

You may carry in restaurants like O'Charleys, Logans Roadhouse, Applebees, etc. up there. You cannot carry in any establishment (like a bar) where the majority of their revenue comes from alcohol sales. Restaurants typically do not fall into that category because food sales outweigh their booze sales.

You also may not drink while you carry in such places.

The other specifications are something like an establishment that earns more than 50% from food sale. Pretty much you can not carry in a bar or the bar are of an establishment. Other than that it is pretty close to TN, unless you want to carry death stars, batons, or a sword.

Guest Verbal Kint
What about a military base, like Fort Knox. If I have time, I thought about going back and seeing those wonderful sites that I experienced in basic and AIT!!

Prohibited on DoD installations, unfortunately.

Any other advice?

I don't believe any military base recognizes carry permits issued by the states; I know Ft. Bragg doesn't.

At best they might store it for you but don't count on that either. Bragg's written policy states they will store it while you are on base. Called to confirm that and there was loud laughing followed by an empatic No we don't do that.

Guest Verbal Kint
Called to confirm that and there was loud laughing followed by an empatic No we don't do that.

Yeah, it's a definite "no" at all bases. No possessing, no carrying, no storing it in your car. Firearms, unless you are a posted sentry at the front gate, are flat out prohibited.

Base housing is a different issue... but even then you are supposed to register all of your weapons with the base armory. A lot of people don't though.

wmd's are legal if concealed too. :up:

Not sure what you are talking about.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. Glad to see their resturant carry is the way it should.

Hmm, that's too bad about the base. It would be nice to go back and see how it has changed since I was there. I hoped and I am looking at the bases website for more info, that I could at least check it in or follow some procedure and have it with me, or at least locked up. I'm not leaving it in the hotel room.

Guest CrazyLincoln

I don't know about out of state holder, but in state holders can carry just about any legal weapons. If I lived there I'd carry a katana as a deterrent. :rolleyes: