CCW and OC, need some info

First off to the mods if this is in the wrong place i apologize and ask that you please move it for me, also i couldn't find exactly what i was looking for in the FAQ and i have a lot of conflicting information.

Okay so after watching the news and seeing TN rated at number 5 on the nations highest crime rates me, my mother, and my step father all want to carry, my mother took a handgun course in GA once but never carried, my step father used to carry without a permit when he went fishing but thats the only time. They are both of age to carry and have no criminal history, wheres a good place in East Tennessee (preferably near Cleveland/Chattanooga) to get your permit training and what exactly do we have to do?

Alright now on the subject of me, im 17 but will be 18 on June 11th, i have read that at 18 i can open carry a handgun but the rules regarding this are not clear, some say the handgun can be loaded, some say it can't but you can have loaded mags on your person, and some say that you can't have any ammo with you if you open carry.

So explain this to me? Do i need any license to OC at 18? Can i keep the gun loaded or at least have some loaded mags with me? Also can you define the "Open" part in Open carry cause if i understand it correctly it means the gun must be visible at all times.

Before i get jumped on, i don't want to open carry to make some sort of statement to the government or to draw negative attention i just want to be able to protect myself and my girlfriend when we are out and about and i find that my pocket knife is not adequate for this job.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
First off to the mods if this is in the wrong place i apologize and ask that you please move it for me, also i couldn't find exactly what i was looking for in the FAQ and i have a lot of conflicting information.

Okay so after watching the news and seeing TN rated at number 5 on the nations highest crime rates me, my mother, and my step father all want to carry, my mother took a handgun course in GA once but never carried, my step father used to carry without a permit when he went fishing but thats the only time. They are both of age to carry and have no criminal history, wheres a good place in East Tennessee (preferably near Cleveland/Chattanooga) to get your permit training and what exactly do we have to do?

Alright now on the subject of me, im 17 but will be 18 on June 11th, i have read that at 18 i can open carry a handgun but the rules regarding this are not clear, some say the handgun can be loaded, some say it can't but you can have loaded mags on your person, and some say that you can't have any ammo with you if you open carry.

So explain this to me? Do i need any license to OC at 18? Can i keep the gun loaded or at least have some loaded mags with me? Also can you define the "Open" part in Open carry cause if i understand it correctly it means the gun must be visible at all times.

Before i get jumped on, i don't want to open carry to make some sort of statement to the government or to draw negative attention i just want to be able to protect myself and my girlfriend when we are out and about and i find that my pocket knife is not adequate for this job.

You cannot carry a loaded firearm unless you have a Handgun Carry Permit. You cannot carry an unloaded firearm and have the ammo elsewhere on your body. You cannot get a TN HCP until you are 21. To get one, you just take the class, get your prints taken, pay your fee and submit your application. You'll receive the permit in the mail a few weeks later.

You cannot carry a loaded firearm unless you have a Handgun Carry Permit. You cannot carry an unloaded firearm and have the ammo elsewhere on your body. You cannot get a TN HCP until you are 21. To get one, you just take the class, get your prints taken, pay your fee and submit your application. You'll receive the permit in the mail a few weeks later.

Seriously? I thought open carry was legal in Tn?

Guest bkelm18

You are correct. Open carry is 100% legal in TN, but you still have to have a carry permit. All open carry means is that you can carry your firearm exposed (not hidden or concealed).

Guest 270win

There are a few exceptions if you are 18 and don't have a permit but for the most part you must have a permit to carry a loaded handgun in public in TN.

You can carry a loaded handgun when hunting with a handgun that is legal in season. Generally you'd need say a 22LR for small game and a centerfire for deer during modern gun season. You will need a hunting license. Small game season is the best route b/c coyotes are in season year round...use a 22LR pistol when hiking in the woods and have a hunting license.

You can carry a handgun without a permit when camping, fishing, target shooting, basically outdoor type activities and be legal without a permit....say out in the woods camping with your buddies...fishing on a pond carrying a pistol to protect yourself from snakes...that sort of stuff....taking cans into the woods to shoot.

Carrying at the range of course is legal without a permit.

Carrying on your own property...or property you rent/lease...like your apartment, rent house, or hotel is legal without a permit.

When in your vehicle it would be best to have your handgun unloaded to avoid the whole 'intent to go armed' misdemeanor charge....unloaded mag...unloaded cylinder.

Generally you can possess a handgun at 18 in TN (minors can with permission when say hunting/trapping/target shooting)..but no permit until 21 to carry in public. When falling under the exceptions I wrote above...you may carry openly or concealed...such as when hunting or fishing or camping. I hope that helps.

You need the governments permission to exercise your right to carry in this state and oh BTW it will cost you between $175 and $225 as well, depending on the cost of the state required safety class...

Welcome to Tllinois or Tennsylvania.... :(

To get one, you just take the class, get your prints taken, pay your fee and submit your application. You'll receive the permit in the mail a few weeks later.

The order of the process is

1- take (and pass) the class

2- submit your application

3- pay your fee

4- get your prints taken

5- receive your HCP

Guest marionandjohn

Ok I hope no one feels as though I am stepping on toes but It seems to me that you are getting conflicting information by taking paticular laws from different states and combining them. In TN you must possess a carry permit to carry in public (there are excemption that were mentioned above). Once you have a carry permit then you may choose to open or conceal, hince the Hangun Carry Permit not a Conceal carry license. There are some states that allow you to carry before 21 but TN is not one of them. Some will issue you a permit or allow you to open carry at 18 with out a permit and MT will even let you OC at 14, yes Fourteen. There are many classes offered in a lot of different areas check out the education forum and find a class recommened by other members or go talk to a local gun shop and 21 yrs old is key.

Also at 18 you can begin going to the range and practicing without your parents but until then I would have one of them with you, its never to early to start practising and studying the law, theres alot more to it the buying a gun taking a class and straping said gun to ones hip and going out.

For your parents they can take the class now and then go to the DMV to get the application filled out and will be told where to get the finger prints done. It took me and my dad about 35 days to get our permits in hand from when we got our fingerprints done. If I am wrong about anything please correct me and remember I aint a lawyer just another 2A freak fighting for whats right.

• Moderators
The order of the process is

1- take (and pass) the class

2- submit your application

3- pay your fee

4- get your prints taken

5- spend 30-90 days obsessively checking the mailbox and bugging Lisa Knight by phone/fax/email

6- receive your HCP

Fixed.

You need the governments permission to exercise your right to carry in this state and oh BTW it will cost you between $175 and $225 as well, depending on the cost of the state required safety class...

Welcome to Tllinois or Tennsylvania.... :hat:

Still a lot better than Tennsachusetts or Tennsecticut or Tennsafornia or....:puke:

ND and Maine both offer non-resident carry permits for 18-20 year olds. It's my understanding the ND is the easier permit to get.

While this non-resident permit IS recognized by TN, it's only good for non-residents. But it would allow you to carry in a number of states...

If you have the option of changing your residence to another state say, GA, then the permit would be good here in TN.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northdakota.pdf

There is the PDF for more information.

Again, the permit would NOT be good for a TN resident, but would be good to carry in a number of nearby states, and if you changed your residence to another state, would be good for carry in TN.

Guest archerdr1

as for a good place to take the course, I took mine at Sportsman's Supply on Hixson Pike in Chattanooga. Taught by a couple of Chattanooga SWAT officers. They did a good job and showed a lot of different ways to carry, stances, and IMHO, they should redo the HCP course video. They were really good. Cost $75.