Colt Defender Modifications?

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

What can be done to the beavertail safety on the Colt Defender so it will not wear so badly on your hand? Also can you do anything with the matt finish on the pistol? I like the looks of this gun very much but was only trying to customize it a little. What would be the cost of the mods mentioned? Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest waldo

Hey boone, congrats on your Defender. I have had mine since about 1998 and love it. I have not had a problem with the safety hurting my hand but it has always thrown the brass back and hit me on the forehead. I finally sent it to colt for repair. I had put an idiot scratch at the slide release pin when I first got it and wanted that fixed along with a dehorn and trigger job. After about 2 months I got it back and they appeared to do a great job. The finish on the frame is a different color. It's kind of a green/gold color and feels smoother than before. I think it is teflon. They did the trigger job for free because they had to totally dismantle to refinish the frame. They replaced the recoil spring and ejector under warranty and smoothed the slide edges. They charged $125 for the refinish and $60 for the dehorn. One thing I like to do is put some skateboard tape on the front of the grip, helps a lot. Anyway, I will put a couple pics below so you can see what the finish looks like.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/mysticcreations2112/Colt.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/mysticcreations2112/Colt002.jpg

• 1 month later...

You can look at the Night Defender for a diff. look. I sent this back and had a S&A beavertail put on. Feels a lot better than the original duck bill that was on there. Its listed by Talo as a carbon slide.

%7BC3064E37-BCD7-4141-A0C2-5B84850CE3F4%7D_4.jpg

Thanks guys. Sweet looking guns. I have not had the issues with the brass in the face so hopefully I will not have to send it back in. I know a guy who owns an anodizing company. I had the idea if I had this gun stripped I may be able to anodize the frame a different color (maybe black). However, I am not sure if this will affect performance.