F-Class Scope Advice????

I am going to order a new scope today (or tomorrow) to use on a 600-1,000yd F-class T/R (.308) gun.

I have narrowed my choice down to two scopes:

Nightforce Benchrest Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 12-42x 56mm NP-2DD Reticle

Sightron SIII Long Range Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 10-50x 60mm Side Focus 1/8 MOA Dot Reticle

If the NF NXS with the 1/8 elevation clicks were out in the market I would consider it also. However, the NXS my cost a good bit more than the two listed above.

I have a 20 MOA base and may need the extra 10MOA that the Sightron has built in... but I do like the proven track record of the NF products.

I would appreciate any advice that folks with more experience may have to offer.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

There have been some complaints about the Sightron 10-60 turrets being a lil easy to turn.. but those complaints have come from Nightforce owners..

Both have about only 40 MOA of elevation..(12x42, the lower powered one has 50 MOA) I have looked through the Nightforce Benchrest series.. They are very clear.. so are the 8-32 Sightrons.. which have 70 MOA of elevation and windage.. the Sightron 6-24 LRD has 100 MOA.. but that scope has a 1/4 MOA dot.. which is too big to use.. I think that using a dot is not a good idea.. for you may cover up the spotter with the dot.. also makes for holding off harder. Not trying to stear you away from it.. just food for thought.. I personally would go with the FCH reticule.

Both are very good scopes.. and I wouldn't mind having either one of them..Being that.. the Sightron is cheaper.. there was a couple that sold on 6mmBr here lately for as lil as 850.00.

You will need a 30 MOA rail for either the Nightforce Benchrest or the Sightron 10-60.

Thanks Randy... What brand of 30 Moa mount would you suggest. I have the EGW Fclass 20MOA extended on the rifle right now. However I may not need the extension on the rail because the stock has an adjustable LOP.

The Sightron 10-50x60 has 50MOA of elevation to the NF 10-42's 40MOA... Would the Sightrons 50 + my 20 MOA mount get leave me enough room to get to 1,000?

Guest FroggyOne2

Yes it would.. but you would still be near the top of the reticule.. by which if you crank too much wind on it.. you may brake it.. and that brings in another problem.. what if the barrel is not indexed correctly and it is shooting way off the left or right.. ugh..

Scope mount.. I would talk to this guy.. Ken Farrell, Inc. -- Rifle Related Products

As for the LOP.. well that is a different matter.. Most shooters in the prone position.. use between 12.5 and 13.5 LOP.. start using more than that.. and you will be stretching yourself out of position.. I use 12.5 from the front of the grip.

• 4 weeks later...

Man I do love that Sinclair bipod but I just can't bring myself to drop the cash. How wide is the footprint? Do you think it is more stable than a regular Harris type? Also, does it swivel? TIA

DaG

DaG .. I agree with Froggy. The Sinclair is MUCH more solid feeling than the harris types. It is not as "pratical" as the harris types but it will be a range/match rifle anyway.

It does swivel from side to side and will lock in place with the podlock type arm in the center.