May is zombie awareness month

Well, me StreetWK05 and Lagerhead all seem to be in roughly the same area, I'm just on the edge of Nashville near Pegram so I'm right there next to Lagerhead, or at least not far. Sounds to me like we got the makings of a local chapter at least for the West Nashville area.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, me StreetWK05 and Lagerhead all seem to be in roughly the same area, I'm just on the edge of Nashville near Pegram so I'm right there next to Lagerhead, or at least not far. Sounds to me like we got the makings of a local chapter at least for the West Nashville area.

I've sent an e-mail to get information on setting up a chapter. More to follow.

I may have missed it somewhere but actually May is Armed Forces Month.

Good point. I think many will agree that every month is Armed Forces Month. I think it's sad that the gov't needs to allocate a specific month for appreciation. Every day of free breath means appreciation to those who've served and continue to serve.

As an aside, I'm betting some troops are very aware of zombies as well.

Guest jackdm3

Dubba da dubba da da...nnnnngggggghhhhhhh!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dubba da dubba da da...nnnnngggggghhhhhhh!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm just waitin' on Lagerhead to let us know what's going on. If he gets the ok from 'em to be a chapter president I'll jump right in. If not, then, maybe I'll talk to 'em about bein' a chapter president.

Sorry for the delay. Here is the response from Andrew at ZRS.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for getting in touch with ZRS about possibly starting a chapter in Nashville, TN. Great city.

Here are the basic chapter requirements:

1) Each local chapter has to have at least 3 lifetime ZRS members to act as the core of the chapter. This includes a President, Vice Prez, and Sergeant At Arms. The reason we do this is to make sure there is enough interest in the chapter to keep it going. If it's just made up of one person, the chances of someone losing interest or moving, etc, could mean that the whole chapter falls apart. To find out more about membership check out the membership page at:

The President is in charge of the overal direction of the chapter, is the main contact between the chapter and HQ, and leads the meetings and events. The Vice President acts as prez when the president isn't there, and is responsible for all of the note taking at meetings, and putting together the documents that need to be sent to HQ after every meeting and event. The Sergeant at Arms makes sure that everything runs smoothly and on time. SA also handles new members to the local chapter.

2) The chapter must complete at least 2 "research" projects per year. This could be anything in the ZRS core areas of zombie pop culture, science or survival/preparedness. Example: The Los Angeles Chapter's Fall Survival project was to complete an in-depth study of the strengths and weaknesses of Los Angeles from a public health, public safety and transportation perspective. For their Spring "pop culture/arts" project they are co-hosting a zombie walk with another local group.

3) You must have at least 5 meetings a year, and at least 2 of these meetings need to be open to the public. In these meetings you will plan your upcoming project, talk about zombies, and hopefully recruit new chapter members. I know the Los Angeles chapter does movie nights at theirs- getting the work out of the way and then cracking some beers and watching bad zombie flicks.

4) Each new chapter is on a probationary period until it completes its first project and has two meetings. Once that is completed successfully, then the chapter officers get "Patched In" to the organization. You receive chapter-only embroidered patches - one for each leadership member. These patches are not for sale anywhere, and they mean that you have become a part of the global leadership team of the ZRS chapter program.

But even before that you get your custom chapter insignia posted on the ZRS website, along with an announcement on the ZRS blog and facebook page welcoming your new chapter into ZRS. This should help with recruiting and building a strong foundation.

Also, once you get your leadership team in place, we will send you a full chapter orientation packet that explains everything from the specific responsibilites of each member, to how to run a meeting and plan an event. It even has sample notes from the Los Angeles Chapter, which has been around a year now and served as our test site to make sure we worked out many of the bugs of this chapter system.

That's it!

So as you can see, we need at the very least 3 people who are serious about getting and maintaining a local chapter. That means meetings and everything. Of course the same guidelines apply for any locality. So if you can get enough crazy SOB's together, you're ready to rock and roll.

If we decide to make this happen, we need to hold our first meeting somewhere "festive." Meaning a place that serves beer. Like The Flying Saucer or something. At least that's my opinion, for what little it's worth.

Guest jackdm3

You get to the beer joint, but you gotta leave your iron in the car, and while you're getting festive and the uglies are outside waiting for you, you expect them to usher you to your car so you can get your toys? Is that the plan, because it's almost like "Shaun of the Dead."

I'd like to request myself for the Sergeant at Arms position. I'd also like to go ahead and throw out that I think a majority of our meetings should be range sessions, or at least begin with such.

I'd like to request myself for the Sergeant at Arms position. I'd also like to go ahead and throw out that I think a majority of our meetings should be range sessions, or at least begin with such.

I have no beef with that. But my impression is that this is supposed to be generally open to the public, so there may be some who don't shoot, and maybe even, dare I say, anti-gun? Since this will be listed on their home page, we can't exactly limit it to TGO'ers, though if we DID have it a range, that might have the same effect. :)

Also, unless you're talking about an out door range, like Charlie's place, and even there, space may be limited. Parking might become an issue too. Of course there could be some kind of issues no matter where you have it. I think we should have our first meeting soon and vote in some officers, etc. to get the ball rolling. I for one want my T-Shirt. :stir:

What do you think? Time for a poll type thread for first meeting place? If so, what are your suggestions? I vote for The Flying Saucer, even if you can't carry there yet, it's got lots of great beer, etc. And you can reserve a table for groups.

I like the flying saucer idea, I will admit. We definately need to get everybody together to sort all this out in person. I can't see anybody who would want to be part of a zombie research society being anti-gun, but everything is possible. I agree that we need to meet in person and agree on everything before we make any moves forward to setting up a local chapter. One big factor is scheduling. My work schedule varies every week and I'm looking for another job so we need to work out all the requirements for the chapter and what would be accepted of officers before we name any and set up the chapter. I think the poll would be the best thing for our next move.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

My schedule only allows me free time on Sat. and Sun. So if I were able to participate, then I could only make meeting and events on the weekends.