Pulled over on bike today by THP

What opinion?

Me being able to tell the difference between a plastic shell and a helmet is not an opinion. :(

As far as there not being any non approved helmets or whatever....all I know is you will not receive your class M with the plastic shells.

Your opinion that the helmet is not in compliance especially just by looking. And I've had my M endorsement on my license for the past 6 years I've been riding. I've been wearing this same helmet for three of those years. Never had an issue until yesterday

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he stopped you with that on, he was fishing.

I thought that might be it too. I know it happens. Turns out that I was well mannered and polite, had proper license, registration, and insurance and wasn't speeding. Nothing to hide.

Your opinion that the helmet is not in compliance especially just by looking. And I've had my M endorsement on my license for the past 6 years I've been riding. I've been wearing this same helmet for three of those years. Never had an issue until yesterday

Well, it's still not an opinion. It's what I can do.

You saying that I can not tell the difference just by looking is an opinion. ;)

But at any rate, carry on, be safe, and take a note from someone who's been there... please don't skimp on lifesaving gear.

Your noggin should be worth more then a 20 spot.

I'm sure you wouldn't carry a 20 dollar gun.... :)

$23 helmet that says it's DOT certified should protect as well as a $175 helmet (Shoei ST-Cruz Helmet - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore No difference in materials or standards). Just doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Money doesn't always mean better. $20,000 Harley doesn't ride better or keep me safer than my $6000 Honda.

if you believe that garbage I am good with it, it is your melon.

I can take one look at your egg crate and tell it is not very protective. I'd be scared of falling over at a stop sign wearing that thing.

Seriously 23 bucks? LOL

Your motorcycle price arguement is really lame. Apples and oranges dude. The gun arguement Strick made was more applicable.

Guest redbarron06
so i am to believe you actually told 5 cops to lick your nads? right.

;)

4 of them were in the guard with me and I hunt with the fifth.

My point remains unchanged.

I can take one look at your egg crate and tell it is not very protective. I'd be scared of falling over at a stop sign wearing that thing.

Seriously 23 bucks? LOL

Your motorcycle price arguement is really lame. Apples and oranges dude. The gun arguement Strick made was more applicable.

This makes me laugh. Apples and oranges? How so?

Seriously 23 bucks? LOL

Yeah seriously what are the big differences? They are both DOT certified. Does that not mean anything? If not then it 100% proves my point.

Edited by setsdw
More bad grammer. Double negatives
$23 helmet that says it's DOT certified should protect as well as a $175 helmet (Shoei ST-Cruz Helmet - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore No difference in materials or standards). Just doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Money doesn't always mean better. $20,000 Harley doesn't ride better or keep me safer than my $6000 Honda.

Surely you don't truly believe that!

If you do believe that, then note that I can put a DOT sticker on a plastic war helmet toy, sell it on Ebay as being just as good as xxx.....doesn't mean it's true.

Again, take it from someone who's been there and done that, money does equate to better when it comes to safety gear for a bike. Especially helmets!

Again, I speak from first hand experience. That's a lot more then what some guy trying to make a quick buck speaks from.

Ok take this helmet Vega XTS Naked Tribal Helmet - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore Made by a well known company and sold through a well known store. It's all of $31. It says (just like the other helmet which is also sold many places besides Ebay) that it meets or exceeds DOT requirements. Same ABS shell. The Ebay helmet even has beefier straps. Because it's $31 is it no good too?

Guy, wear whatever helmet you wish.

I'm just trying to give you some advise on something I know more about then anyone here.

Don't trust that advise, then walk into any rehab hospital and ask what kind of helmets work. Then walk into the morgue and ask which helmets don't work.

Since you evidently could care less about my advise I wont post anymore about it.

But, I just gotta ask...what kind of gun do you carry?

You could go out and spend 100 bucks on a CG.

It's made of the same materials. It meets safety standards.

But is it the same real life quality as that Glock or Sig?

Edited by strickj
Surely you don't truly believe that!

If you do believe that, then note that I can put a DOT sticker on a plastic war helmet toy, sell it on Ebay as being just as good as xxx.....doesn't mean it's true.

Again, take it from someone who's been there and done that, money does equate to better when it comes to safety gear for a bike. Especially helmets!

Again, I speak from first hand experience. That's a lot more then what some guy trying to make a quick buck speaks from.

I think it all depends, I mean a $300-400 shoei or arai has the same amount of protective features as a $120 shoei etc...

Recommend me a helmet then. If it's about quality recommend me a helmet and tell me why it's better. I would gladly take your advice if you can show me.

As for a what CG I carry I'm not even heading down that road. But I can guarantee that it's not a Kimber, Sig, or even a Glock. But I have put 1500 rounds down the tube with it with no FTF's. I trust my life to it without blinking. Wasn't the most expensive for sure.

I would gladly take your advice if you can show me.

Me typing this message is a result of me wearing a good helmet.

Want to see more? Then take a ride to your nearest rehab hospital.

They will be glad to show you around

I can't give you a hard time for wearing a half helmet, because I also wear one. With that being said, there are very obvious differences between DOT approved and non-approved helmets. You can tell by looking at them.

Like so many other situations where you may be issued a ticket, ignorance generally isn't an excuse that gets you too far in the courts, especially when it's nearly impossible to find a non DOT approved helmet, unless it's an obvous novelty helmet. Not to mention the fact that many vendors who are willing to sell novelty helmets also openly sell the bogus DOT stickers in the wide open.

Me typing this message is a result of me wearing a good helmet.

Want to see more? Then take a ride to your nearest rehab hospital.

They will be glad to show you around

I wasn't talking about the effectiveness of any helmet, you were saying a specific helmet was no good because of price and/or where it was being purchased from. My question was why helmet A is so much better that helmet B?