Two Texans killed in rifle accidents at ranges

Guest slothful1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ETS_Inc
Yea, especially that Owl Hollow range. What a debacle of safety that place is.

Owl Hollow isn't manned by a professional range staff at all hours. It is, however, a private range, where the members must sign a contract, stating that they understand the safety rules.

If you are out there shooting, and see an unsafe act, and there are no Range Officers present to whom you can report the incident, get the offenders badge number (again, by the rules, they should be wearing it), and let someone know. They can take it up with the offender.

Is that an ideal situation? No. But, with a range like Owl Hollow, without an on-site, professional safety staff, you're going to have some idiots do stupid stuff. If you think Owl Hollow is bad, you need to stay as far away as possible from the Cheatham County TWRA range. You really take your life into your own hands out there.

Oh, and BTW, starting in 2008, all members of Owl Hollow, whether new or renewal, will have to go through a short safety orientation at the range, where the rules will be explained to them, and they will have to sign their application, certifying that they've had the orientation, before they are given their new badge.

Well I'll leave the reporting to someone else as I'm not a member and don't plan on being one.

Here's the deal:

I went to Owl Hollow one day back in June 06. While it is nice to have an relatively free range to do what you want, I did witness something there to make me never want to return. I was a guest of a member, and while the range was hot and several people were actively shooting on the rifle range, a man walked out onto the range to set up his targets only about 50 feet to the left of where we were shooting. He completely ignored our yells, didn't even give us a look! I don't know if he was deaf, drunk, or just incompetent, but that one experience is enough to make me never want to return.

It really doesn't matter now because I go to Gallatin Gun Club, but it's not hard to understand how range accidents happen when someone acts like that.

I'm a new guy here but I plan on joining Owl Hollow for several reasons. I've checked it out and spoke to numerous other folks that have had very good experiences there. I big plus for me is it is literally 5 minutes from my house.

So my question for ReefBlueCoupe (or anyone else) is, was that one idiot the only issue you had w/ the range? This is not a loaded question or setup...I'm just making sure I know what I'm getting before I invest my hard earned money.