New hunting toy

I got ahold of a new hunting toy today, and need some advice. I bought a 2006 Polaris 4 wheeler with 30 hours/80 miles on it. The guy I bought it from said it's not even broke in yet. I got it for what I think is an awesome price. It's been garage kept, and all Shannon has done with it is work his yard. Anyways, It's pretty bare bones, and I need some sujestions from you experienced folks...What do I need to do to make this the ultimate hunting machine? I will post some pics soon.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well bud I ain't seen it but a good hunting rig should have good racks on front and back. Maybe a trailor hitch and small winch. What size is it? The winch is real handy if you stick it and your a hog hunter. It would really pull a hog up hills easily.

What model is it? I have ridden a Sportsman 500 quite a bit and know them pretty well. They are great rides. The auto tranny does need some rider attention. You need to make sure you adhere to the minimum speeds for high gear. I like the flat storage racks on the polaris bikes.

I am not crazy about the gun boots. Lots of guys like them, but they get in the way when ridding 2 folks. If it's 4wd then you don't really need anything. A winch is nice, but I have never used one in all the riding I have done.

A way to mount your hunting weapon of choice (bow, rifle, shotgun, etc...) and maybe an extended rear rack to haul out your game. A winch can come in handy when stuck or to be able to throw the cable over a sturdy tree branch and hang your game up. Other than that it is all personal preference and necessity will dictate other things you may want/need.

Buy about a dozen of those rubber tie down straps you see scattered all over the interstate or stop and pick some up, and keep them strapped to the racks on your four wheeler. You can strap darn near anything to the four wheeler with them. If it has a storage box on it, put in a spare spark plug, a small flashlight, and a length of large nylon strap you can use for towing. I don't have one but I think a windshield would be nice.

Guest fourspdRAT

Depending on the terrain of where you hunt, you might need some more aggressive tires. Some type of tow strap or chain, and a box to put them in. I picked up a couple of ammo boxes at the local Army surplus, mounted them to the rear rack and now I have two strong, watertight boxes to hold my crap. I put padding in one and that is where I keep my camera, cell phone, wallet and watever else (pistol, maybe) I need. The other holds my tow strap and a pair of gloves along with a few basic tools. A winch is the best investment you can bolt to a 4 wheeler. My personal recommendation is a Warn 2.5. Don't forget a helmet. I know what it feels like to have a 500+ lb 4 wheeler land on your head, and it's no fun.

Polaris makes a darn good four wheeler. They're also as comfortable to sit on as a couch. Have fun on it!

I set mine up with a gun/bow holder on the front rack, a GPS holder on the handlebar, and a rear seat/storage bag on the rear rack. The storage on the rear rack is a must for me. I will prob add a winch to the front eventualy (right now I just keep a come-along in the storage bag).

s7_523551_imageset_03?$main-Medium$

Cabela's -- Kolpin® Rhino Grip Gun Mounts

s7_521146_renderset_01?$main-Medium$

Cabela's -- Mad Dog® Pro Series Utility Rear Rack Bag

BTW, nice ATV!

I like that bag system. I'll have to get one of those. The guys at work want me to go on a trail ride at LBL, so bags will be handy. What is everyone's opinion of bow/gun racks on the handlebars? I'm with "Whiskey", I don't think I would like the gun boots.

What is everyone's opinion of bow/gun racks on the handlebars? I'm with "Whiskey", I don't think I would like the gun boots.

That is what I have always used, but you do run the risk of snagging your gun or bow on a limb. So long as you have clear riding areas, they work great, or if you have a beater gun that you don't care if it gets scratched or muddy.

That is what I have always used, but you do run the risk of snagging your gun or bow on a limb. So long as you have clear riding areas, they work great, or if you have a beater gun that you don't care if it gets scratched or muddy.

I remember I had to take my gun off at 4 or 5 times going into the woods when I had the handle bar gun racks. It was a pain most of the time.

Bought a dump cart today. Really confused about the best gun rack though. Another question crosses my mind though. Do you use your 4-wheeler to go to your stand or leave it at your vehicle until you take a game animal. If you use it to go to your stand, how far away do you park it? I know these may sound like stupid questions, but this 4 wheeler deal is new to me! Any advice would be appreciated.

I never ride to a stand. How far away I park depends on the stand site and the expected approach of the deer.

As good a shape as you are in, you don't even need a 4wheeler. You just walk in 5 miles and throw the deer over your shoulder and walk the 5 miles out. Just give me that ATV and keep yourself in good shape. :confused: