C&R License,

Guest sabrexr15

Guest sabrexr15

I'm thinking about applying for the C&R license.

Anybody got any dealings in getting one?

good thing/bad thing/ not worth the effort/ great deal?

Please teach me.

thanks

sabre

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat. I sent away to BATFE for the form 7CR some time ago, and its been sitting here waiting for me to get over the requirement to notify the chief LEO in my town/county. So far, no luck. I'd love to hear the experience of others on this.

Well, about 3 years ago I got mine. There was NOTHING to it. Just fill out the paperwork and send it in. Now, I have NEVER used it. More due to finances than anything else. I am going to let it lapse because I have never used it. I don't like having to keep records and allowing "the man" to come knocking when he so desires either. I have never purchased any C&R through it nor have I sold one.

If you are planning on purchasing a lot of C&R weapons then it might be useful, but if you are only after an SKS or two or a Mosin or two it probably isn't worth the added frustration of keeping bound books etc. You have to keep those things for 7 years.

Guest Crunchman

I've had mine for 3+ years and it's more than paid for itself in savings. Not having to do a NICS paid for the license after buying 3 milsurps and the discounts from Brownells and Midway added even more. The hassel of keeping the bound book is really not much of one. I've never been audited, but friends who have been say that it's no big deal, just the agent looking at the book and being ready to go do something else (like auditing 01 and class 3 dealers). I asked the local sheriff's dep't. about the notification to them and they said it was probably filed in a "round" file somewhere.

C&R = Curio And Relic. These are weapons that are over a certain age and hold some type of historical value. The SKS, Mosin Nagant, various other military rifles. are classified as C&R. Some pistols are also classified. CZ's are one that I know of that have a Curio and Relic status.

Again, for some people that purchase a lot of these or use the discounts that you get from some dealers it's a great deal. I think it was $35 when I did it, but you have to keep it updated and you have to keep a bound book of all of the weapons that you purchase with it. You must keep this book for 7 years even if you let your license lapse and you only purchased 1 rifle with it.

These were hassles for me so I decided even though I have one it wasn't worth the trouble for maybe one rifle a year.

This license does not allow you to go with out NICS checks when purchasing new firearms from a dealer. It does allow you to buy C&R weapons from people in other states and have them shipped directly to you.

Guest bkelm18

I sent in my paperwork a couple weeks ago. To me it's worth it purely for the discounts you get at some of the online merchants. To be honest, I see no reason for the semi-serious to serious gun owner not to have one. Once you have it there's really no other extra work to do other than the bound book which seems pretty simple (just jot some stuff down in a binder when you purchase a C&R) and the $30 fee every three years. You can save tons of money at various places that offer discounts to FFL holders and don't have to pay for NICS background checks (on C&R firearms). To me it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Guest bkelm18
I'm in the same boat. I sent away to BATFE for the form 7CR some time ago, and its been sitting here waiting for me to get over the requirement to notify the chief LEO in my town/county. So far, no luck. I'd love to hear the experience of others on this.

What do you mean?

I don't like the fact that the chief LEO in your community is required to be notified when you obtain a C&R license. I know I'm just being stubborn, but its none of his durn business if I'm engaging in LEGAL activity. I imagine I'll get over it eventually and send in my money.

What do you mean?
Guest bkelm18
I don't like the fact that the chief LEO in your community is required to be notified when you obtain a C&R license. I know I'm just being stubborn, but its none of his durn business if I'm engaging in LEGAL activity. I imagine I'll get over it eventually and send in my money.

Right, but you do know that his opinion has absolutely ZERO bearing on whether or not the BATFE issues you an FFL? It's just a notification, not a request.

I think if you live in the city limits, go with the KPD, in the county, go with the KCSD. bkelm18 probably knows better, but from my read of the rules, that's the impression I got.

I was unsure if I sent it to the Knoxville PD or the Knox County Sheriff's Dept.
Guest bkelm18
I think if you live in the city limits, go with the KPD, in the county, go with the KCSD. bkelm18 probably knows better, but from my read of the rules, that's the impression I got.

Haha no I don't know much. But your idea seems to make sense. Within city limits, mail it to the police Chief, outside city, mail to Sheriff. But to be honest, I don't think it matters a whole lot if it goes to the Police Chief or to the Sheriff. It's just a notification of your intent to obtain the 03 FFL. No action is required on their part.

I saved the cost of mine on my first purchase from MidwayUSA.

<O:p</O:p

BTW… The CLEO is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for the County, regardless of what city you live in. It is my understanding that the ATF doesn’t do anything regarding them unless they hear from them about your application. Probably just a failsafe in case a local nut job is trying to get a license. So unless you are one of the local nut jobs I wouldn’t worry about it. :wave:

Do you need the Chief LEO's signature? If not, how are you supposed to prove that you have notified him?

What are some of the guns you know are C&R approved? Does it only apply to older manufacture?

I know, I'm full of questions with few answers. I've been considering the C&R license, but I just don't have enough info.

Any weapon that is deemed to have some historical significance can be designated as a C&R type 03. This includes but is not limited to:

SKS

Enfeilds

Mauser

Mosin Nagant

CZ Pistols (old ones)

There are no NEW C&R weapons. These are all OLD firearms.

Just a notes, with a HCP and a C&R license I think you can order from the CMP and have them deliver to your door.

Guest bkelm18
Do you need the Chief LEO's signature? If not, how are you supposed to prove that you have notified him?

What are some of the guns you know are C&R approved? Does it only apply to older manufacture?

I know, I'm full of questions with few answers. I've been considering the C&R license, but I just don't have enough info.

No you don't need the CLEO signature. It's just a notification. You don't have to prove you notified him. No action is required on their part. For a list of all approved C&R Firearms, go here: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm

The firearm doesn't necessarily have to be old. Here's the criteria:

(a) Firearms that were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;

(:shrug: Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

© Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.

Just a notes, with a HCP and a C&R license I think you can order from the CMP and have them deliver to your door.

You still have to belong to a CMP affiliated organization. The HCP and/or C&R License only satisfies the "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" requirement. They'll still deliver to your door even if you didn't have the 03 FFL.

Guest bkelm18
I got mine in Oct. Could not have been easier. Only took 11 days to get it back.

Wow, its been about 3 weeks since I submitted my paperwork. Of course the bastards charged me my 30 bucks like two days after I mailed it, haha.