Carry in Anderson Co. Park?

Guest tngw1500se

Guest tngw1500se

Went out riding yesterday and ended up out by Anderson Co. park. Didn't see any sign posted anywhere. Can I carry there?

Finding it really hard to figure out where you can carry and where not.

The sign at Norris Park says "no firearms" and I know I can carry in the state parks.:usa:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood

I know you can't in Oak Ridge because you are a dangerous individual bent on destruction and mayhem if you carry a firearm and want nothing more than to shoot old ladies and small children.

I was wondering this weekend if you can carry in Knoxville parks but I'm pretty sure you can't. Though they apparently don't have to post it.

I think the state legislature really is screwing the pooch with this carry here and not there stuff. I think if we have a permit we should be able to carry. This in and out with the carry gun is ridiculous.

Went out riding yesterday and ended up out by Anderson Co. park. Didn't see any sign posted anywhere. Can I carry there?

Finding it really hard to figure out where you can carry and where not.

The sign at Norris Park says "no firearms" and I know I can carry in the state parks.:screwy:

If there are no signs at a local park it should be legal.

I say should becaue the new law requires them to post a very specific sign as defined in 39-17-1311.

However the AG has issued an opinion saying that a person could still be charged even if there aren't signs posted. If you read the opinion I think he used some bad logic, but what do I know....

As far as their still being "No Guns" signs at state parks, the law that allowed carry said signs can't be changed, that was so there wouldn't be a fiscal note that would kill the bill. AFAIK when the sign need to be replaced due to wear etc.... they can leave off the no firearms on the new sign.

Knoxville parks are off limits due to an older law that the City Council chose not to challange, leaving a $50.00 fine as the penalty for breaking their law.

Surely most have seen Mayor Haslam's statement that he is "proud" that Knoxville is the only large municipality in the State to have no criminal penalty for a licensed Hand Gun Carry Permit holder violating the law.

From his written answers on tennessean.com

Tennessee Governor's Race, 2010

Question:

Guns in parks

The legislature approved a law last year allowing handgun-carry permit holders to take guns into city, county and state parks — but it gave city councils and county commissions authority to designate one, some or all of their parks off limits to guns. Gun advocacy groups and some legislators say they will ask the legislature to remove the authority of local governments to “opt out†of the law — in effect, opening all local parks to guns whether local governments want that or not. First, do you support or oppose repealing the law that allows guns in state parks? And do you support or oppose removing the “opt-out†provision for local government?

Haslam Answer:

I support the new law allowing handgun-carry permit holders to take guns into parks and I would oppose its repeal. I also favor giving local communities as much autonomy as possible. I’m proud of the fact that Knoxville is the only big city in the state where there is no criminal penalty for legal gun permit holders carrying in parks.

I know you can't in Oak Ridge because you are a dangerous individual bent on destruction and mayhem if you carry a firearm and want nothing more than to shoot old ladies and small children.

I was wondering this weekend if you can carry in Knoxville parks but I'm pretty sure you can't. Though they apparently don't have to post it.

I think the state legislature really is screwing the pooch with this carry here and not there stuff. I think if we have a permit we should be able to carry. This in and out with the carry gun is ridiculous.

I am pretty sure that Anderson County parks are a go (OR parks are not). Knox County parks are a go, but City of Knoxville parks are a no go. However, City parks aren't going under the current law, but a Pre-'86 law and therefore if you get caught it's only a $50 fine (some are calling it a $50 gun carrying tax!) The idiot Haslam even touted how Knoxville didn't pass the stricter law and that was a good thing. Yes, the Mayor basically suggested that we carry illegally and pay the fine if caught instead of getting the old law dropped and allowing free carry.

Matthew

Guest 270win

Germantown, TN outside Memphis is an example of a park system that actually has the proper signs that can get you fined max 2500 bucks if you get caught and convicted under that law. I would not carry in a Germantown park and not be willing to pay the piper a big check and get my gun taken after going to court.

I have heard about some towns in TN just keeping their old city ordinances on the books and not putting up signs...like Knoxville. At least it is only fifty bucks and with it not being a 'state crime' you probably won't get your gun confiscated. It is a little patchwork mess honestly because some of these cities that claim to not be legal haven't put up signs....example would be Memphis....I haven't seen 'legal' signs in Memphis city parks like at Overton Park....so I guess it would fall back to the Memphis city ordinance (fine like in Knoxville)..since there isn't a sign like in Germantown? That is what I understand. If I don't see one of those proper 39-17-1311 signs at the entrances....well I carry and don't worry about it...but that's me...I'm not a lawyer...and I do conceal.

As far as the Knoxville parks law: everyone keeps saying "it's only a $50 fine."

Well, the statute says you are guilty of a misdemeanor and can be jailed for up to 30 days also.

" Any person violating any of the provisions of this general penalty article shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and conviction thereof shall result in the penalties of a monetary fine not to exceed fifty dollars ($50.00) and the repayment of administrative costs incident to the correction of the municipal violation in an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500.00) and/or by imprisonment not to exceed thirty (30) days, or both, for each separate offense. Each day any violation of this Code or of any ordinance shall continue shall constitute a separate offense. "

This is consistent for Class C misdemeanors within TCA.

- OS

In Oak Ridge, The City Parks are posted, very POORLY. I know this as I accidentally found the sign.

I am currently only talking about the down town park near the Police station.

Sunday my wife and I went for a walk around the trail and where where half way around the trail and then I found 3 signs. Very small sign.

Today after work I went back to see if I had over looked any signs.

I entered on the East entrance. There was no sign at the entrance. There was no sign where I could get on the walking trail. I found one on the very east end of the parking lot. I found a couple in nearly hid locations. I found a couple in the West end parking lot. A couple around the walking trail after you where already on the trail.

However, By the time you could actually Find a sign, they would actually try to say you where in the wrong. I am not a strong public speaker but I can try to get some pictures and I live right here in Oak Ridge if I helps anyone bring this point up.

Also the signs are very small, Does the law require the signs to be of certain size and have an exact phrase on them? Sort of like Speed limit signs have to be a certain size.

I will try to make my way out to the Oak Ridge City Park today and take a picture of the sign and post it. Heck I plan to even messure it.

It starts off about being a Misdemeanor punishable by a fee not to exceed 2500 dollars and not more then 11 months and 29 days in jail. Something to that effect.

(I promise to one day install IE to my computer)

Edited by vontar
added some addional info
Also the signs are very small, Does the law require the signs to be of certain size and have an exact phrase on them? Sort of like Speed limit signs have to be a certain size.

Yes.

39-17-1311©(1) Each chief administrator of public recreational property shall display in prominent locations about the public recreational property a sign, at least six inches (6") high and fourteen inches (14") wide, stating:

MISDEMEANOR. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF ELEVEN (11) MONTHS AND TWENTY-NINE (29) DAYS AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2,500) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON OR IN PUBLIC RECREATIONAL PROPERTY.

(2)
As used in this subsection ©, “prominent locations about public recreational property†includes, but is not limited to, all entrances to the property, any building or structure located on the property, such as restrooms, picnic areas, sports facilities, welcome centers, gift shops, playgrounds, swimming pools, restaurants and parking lots.
39-17-1311(e)(2) If a municipality or county elects to prohibit persons authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 from possessing the handgun while within or on a public park, it shall display in prominent locations the sign authorized by subdivision ©(1), to give notice that handguns are not permitted in the park.

Now even though the AG has said you could still be charged even if signs are posted...his reasoning was that a person was convicted or carry at a school, even though the school didn't have the signs posted they were supposed to.

But my argument would be...all schools are off-limits by default. Parks however are legal by default and are only off-limits if voted on by the local goverment. How are you supposed to know if you are not given proper notice?

Well, the Entrance where the Oak Ridge City Park, I forget the name of it. where the library is, is not posted but there are a few signs around. But you can drove on to the property and have to look around for the sign. I am going down there today with a Camera.

Well, the Entrance where the Oak Ridge City Park, I forget the name of it. where the library is, is not posted but there are a few signs around. But you can drove on to the property and have to look around for the sign. I am going down there today with a Camera.

See if you can get a picture of Kwik there while you're at it. :(

- OS

The sign at Norris Park says "no firearms" and I know I can carry in the state parks.:(

To make the state park carry change revenue neutral, the statute did not require them to make changes to existing signs.

- OS

Ok,

Time line correction, I know my post was like 4 a.m. when I was talking about going back after work. That was Tuesday afternoon. I did not see a sign at the East entrance.

Well, I am going to correct myself. I was walking around at that time looking for sign. Today ( Wednesday) I did find the sign at the East Entrance. Heck, I even measured it. It is 14x6.

I can not swear it was not there Tuesday since I found it there this morning, but I know I looked in that area.

The Signs are really to small. Since the fine and jail time is so high, the signs should be at least the size of a stop sign. The should be required to make them highly visible.

Also with making it illegal to Carry in certain areas, that will make those areas more likely to be targets for crimnal minded people.

...Heck, I even measured it. It is 14x6.

The Signs are really to small. Since the fine and jail time is so high, the signs should be at least the size of a stop sign. The should be required to make them highly visible....

Well, they are correct according to TCA.

Since you don't notice those big ones, better keep a sharp eye out for the 3"x3" No Guns logo that will be legal everywhere else.

- OS