.357 magnum reloads

minor issue with latest .357 mag reloads: Used 5.8 grains Accurate #2 powder, 158 grain LRN boolit. Didn't get OAL due to battery in my caliber dead. Took about 18 to range, shoot them, they went bang, had a very hard time ejecting the shells from their chambers. Did I seat the boolit to far thus causing excess pressure and expanding the shell? I'm thinking this might have been the cause, but anyone else ever have this issue?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi ftncityfatboy

You probably know as much about it as me.

Do you have a finished-round case gage? It doesn't replace a caliper, but I usually test-fit each finished round in a case gage along with primer checking, visual exam for splits, etc.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25548/catid/3/Dillon_Handgun_Case_Gages

A friend had an old Rossi snub-nose .357 that was always a difficult-eject after firing. I assumed it was a problem with the revolver, cause I'd never had any such trouble with a S&W 649 or 586.

I recently traded off the 649 and can't recheck the situation. The last time I had it out at the range shortly before trading, the little 10 year old snubnose suddenly started doing the same thing-- Hard to eject either with self-defense ammo or reloads. The reloads were old stock reloaded years ago, from a half-used-up box of reloads. Never had that problem with em before, unless reloads can get stronger just sitting on the shelf <g>.

Before I took the snubbie out that last time, had done a better-than-average cleaning of it. I thought was being very thorough in the cleaning.

Wondered if maybe I'd managed to stir up some dirt and get a thin 'invisible' layer of grunge coating the cylinder holes? Dunno.

====

edit: did your fired primers look unusually flat, or show other signs of over-pressure?

Edited by Lester Weevils

i will be sorting the range brass today and will check the primers for the .357 / last time I went to the range I used all factory loads and did not have this issue so must be the reloads. got to me in the boolit seating or crimping. but, i will most def check the primers...

If you used the crimp groove of the bullet...OAL shouldn't be the problem.

No 2 is a really fast powder for magnum pistol loads. I think this may be more along the lines of your problem. Those fast powders really get "peaky" and unpredictible when pushed above 30,000 psi - along the range of most magnum loads.

It just isn't really made for magnum loads.

Also check that you didn't fire many .38SPL in the gun prior they will leave a ring at the case mouth that the 357Mag case ( 1/10" longer) will pressure form to and make extraction "sticky"

pics of primers and sides of casings would help us see whats happening..

John

Guest Lester Weevils

Never used anything except Blue Dot on .357, which seems to work OK. Maybe something else would be way better.

Awhile back they released a revised smaller max load for Blue Dot, but I've never loaded anywhere near max in the past. Am close to the "new" max for some .357 rifle loads.

aa 2 is way too fast try aa9 cleaner than 296 or 110 catch me at the gunshow in knoxville and i will give you a pound of aa9 try it one time you are hooked on it

I will definitely look you up at the show, I will also be shopping for 158 grain LSWC for .38 special and researching some lead for the .357 mag.

Guest tnvolfan

Hi there FtncityFatboy,

You did use a small magnum primer didn't you?

Just curious. . . I haven't made any 357mags for my gun yet, but I plan on using Win 231 with some bullets that I hope to get from dlm37015 when I see him Saturday. You can't go wrong with anything you get from dlm37015. He's a wonderful source for info as well as anything ya need. Hope to see you there Sat!

2400 (if you like the manufacturer) has been the de-facto standard for .357 magnum for as long as it has been made. It is very forgiving, provides a wide range of loads for all bullets, meters well, and does not require magnum primers.

It is a bit dirty....the only drawback.

158 SWC with 1.0cc of 2400 (that would be 13.5 grains) is a wonderful load....not too hot to kill brass life. Not too mild to where you would ever think that you are shooting a .38 special.

aa number 9 very clean very forgiving ball powder don't need a magnum primer cheaper was orginaly wc820 a gov. powder for 30 carbine but more user friendly

than 296 or h110 i try not to quote load data but will give you a new load guide

also makes great loads in 10mm

• 2 weeks later...

How fast or slow a powder is, is of little consequence as long as one stays within the load data parameters as published by the powders manufacturer, or any published loading manual.

I just checked AA's manual and no bullet is listed with less that 5.8 as a starting load so that should not have been an issue.

Are you sure you loaded 5.8 grains of AA#2?

Could be an issue of soft brass or rough chamber.

A friend had issues with his guns and a particular powder. I got a mostly full can of powder out of it and loaded various loads ( mild to max) and had no issues. Even bought a pound to keep loading it.

Picked up some AA #9 at Knoxville Gun Show, made some reloads, 12.2 grains with 158 grain LSWC.....tight groupings, shells released VERY easy from their chambers. I did use mag primers, I'll try some w/o the mag primers. Thanks for all the help!!!