Scamed. Now what?

I was scammed in the purchase of a pistol. I used a postal money order accross state lines. Post office says not their problem. Local police says not their problem. My question is who is the appropriate group to investigate?

Had the same thing happen on some gun parts and this is one reason I use a postal money order AND ONLY a postal money order when paypal is not an option.

After several weeks of confusion as to where my parts were and why the seller had not allegedly received it I went to the P.O. where I got the M.O. . Talked to the manager and explained the situation. Had both receipts from the transaction and he put out a track on it. He told me that if it had been cashed then they could find out who cashed it by the signature on the back and they could take action from there. If it hadn't been cashed then they would cancel it and tag it (void it basically) to where it couldn't be cashed and then begin the process of getting me my money back. Turns out it went into a black hole somewhere and was never cashed so a month later I got my money back.

I would think your local P.O. manager would be more willing to help you. Mine was excellent !

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've sold 1 gun with Gun Owners Club and it was FTF. Even FTF I've heard that guys are getting held up so I made the exchange point at a high traffic area. You just can't be too careful these days.

I sure hope that you get this resolved.

Please define "held up" , lol.

I've done several FTF transactions from several different boards and since I'm always strapped and assume the buyer/seller is as well I wouldn't expect to literally be held up at a meet. I've been haggled or what I call a "post deal counter offer" before but a deal is a deal. I agree you can't be too careful but trying to hold up someone you know is carrying is more than a little naive, lol.

I posted this warning on GOC back on May 6th:

"There are numerous scammers operating on this board. One is located in Poland. He takes ads from Gunbroker and other sites, copies them word for word and even uses the original photos. I've found 3 today on here.

If the town doesn't exist in TN and the zip code is in another state, just take a part of the text and google it. You will find the original ad. "

Everytime I find an ad like the Commander you tried to buy, I flag it, and email the GOC owners to remove it. For a while they did remove the ads quickly. Now it just seems like they ignore my emails.

The scammers are easy to spot. Town and zip code don't match. Price is too low. When you get the first email from the seller, he says he is in another state/country and will ship you the gun. Just send the money by Western Union or similar. By this time you should be running in the other direction as fast as possible. I've found dozens of them on GOC.

Good luck with yours.

Edited by Westwindmike

Here is the email exchange I had with the scammer and GOC:

The following is in response to Post number 46732

================================================

I'm very interested in your Kimber. I am a cash buyer. Where could we

meet to see it?

To: xxxxxxxxxxx @hotmail.com

Subject: RE: Reply to your post on GOC [Ad #46732]

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:25:03 +0000

Thats fine...I live in Norfolk, NE...can you drive down to receive it or

i cover shipping cost to you? I'm a military man so shipping is no

problem,

if you want i can send a copy of my ID so you know the kind of person

you

are dealing with.

Thanks.

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:45:08 -0500,

Dear GOC,

I think this man is running a scam. The ad and gun he is using on GOC is

word for word the same ad and pictures as on a Penn. gun site. Please

remove his ads and account before someone loses a lot of money on him.

Thanks,

GOC wrote me today:

The user's ads have been removed and the user account banned.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Please define "held up" , lol.

I've done several FTF transactions from several different boards and since I'm always strapped and assume the buyer/seller is as well I wouldn't expect to literally be held up at a meet. I've been haggled or what I call a "post deal counter offer" before but a deal is a deal. I agree you can't be too careful but trying to hold up someone you know is carrying is more than a little naive, lol.

I can say hes not lying he was strapped today when I made a FTF transaction with him.. :foot:

I forgot to say he emailed me a copy of his Air Force ID.

Same Name I shipped to. But not him. So impersonating and officer.

Checked address and it was same although it was his Mother.

Sic the Military Police on him to, it looks as if he is impersonating them too.

T&R

Sic the Military Police on him to, it looks as if he is impersonating them too.

T&R

Yes, The MP's and whatever the Air Force CID is called will go after him for using a fake or possibly stolen ID. If it invloves dealing in firearms I am sure they would be intrested. I would call the nearest AFB and tell them what happened. I would still try the Postal Police/Investigators.

I have filled out the money order tracking form. If it has not been cashed I can receive a replacement in 60 days. If it has been cashed I am SOL and can only turn to PO fraud investigative division but no money returned.

Edited by RASHGUNNER

As a military ID was used, I'm sure they'll want to investigate. As a military ID states on the card, it is for "official use of the identified person and other use or posession is unlawful and will make the offender liable to heavy penalty".