Sig 556 or AR-15

dunndw

Sig 556 or AR-15  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Sig 556 or AR-15

• SIG 556
    • "Normal" AR-15

Can't make up my mind. Now that I've decided the GRP is going to become a rifle I went looking at Guns and Leather today. Missed out on a 1100.00 Sig (fella put it on layaway as I went to look at it)

I don't know if the Sigs are THAT much different or "better" than a standard AR to justify the price. For a little more I could get the DPMS clone of the SR25 they have up there.

I don't know which way to go on this one.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

To me personally you can't really compare the two. The Sig really isn't an AR. It may shoot 5.56 and takes AR mags but that's pretty much where the similarities end. If I were rich I'd get one, but since I'm not, I'll just stick with my Bushy. After-market parts and accessories are MUCH more widely available for ARs than for the Sig. I know Sigs are pretty damn reliable, but I'd just feel better knowing that I could pick up any gun parts catalogue and be pretty much guaranteed that I could find any part for an AR. Don't know if you could say the same for the Sig, though I've never really looked.

Guest gcrookston

having owned a number of ARs over the years by various makers (Bush Master, Armalite, Colt, Olympic), I've got to say I'm really liking the Sig. It's got near match accuracy and trigger. It's light and very well balanced.

What I don't like are the stocks and the lack of accessories. You'd think with all the 550's they are now cutting up we could get some restocks for them at a reasonable price (the parts kits cost more than the rifles).

It's a very clean rifle too. It shoots clean and the chamber area stays clear of the grime associated with My ARs and especially my dear little 93.

I think in the end you have to decide on your personal preference. AR's have a lot of flexibility because they've been here a long time and all sorts of people have come up with really good (and some not so good), products for their improvement.

Until capacity reaches demand, we aren't going to see very many options for them. I'd like to see the 550 sniper, but that is unlikely to be reintroduced any time soon.

And I don't like turtlenecks or mustard of any kind...

Guest triggertime

I wouldn't recommend the Sig 556. The charging handle will launch itself during hard use, especially if you don't put it back in correctly. It's hard to charge your rifle or clear a malfunction without a charging handle. This is the Sig 556's Achilles heal.

If you want a gas piston alternative to an AR that runs well, consider a Robinson XCR instead.

Guest gcrookston
I wouldn't recommend the Sig 556. The charging handle will launch itself during hard use, especially if you don't put it back in correctly. It's hard to charge your rifle or clear a malfunction without a charging handle. This is the Sig 556's Achilles heal.

I could see where it would fly out if you weren't paying attention and installed it upside down (wouldn't one notice it was curved the wrong way?)or didn't put it in all the way for the latch to catch in the grove milled in it. Common sense would dictate you would reinstall it as you removed it. But, you build something idiot proof and they turn around and build a bigger idiot... I've seen what happens when someone leaves out the firing pin retaining key on an AR and then wonders why it won't go bang.

There are millions of 1911's out there with the Idiot Swirl at the take down latch because people don't know what they are doing...

The only gun I've ever come across that cannot be put back together incorrectly is the M14 rifle, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I learn of an idiot that has done just that.

Guest CrazyLincoln

I would have to agree with gcrookston, the charging handle has two features to prevent this. The part that fits in is shaped like a rhombus, so it only goes in one way (without force massive force). It is held in place by a notch and a spring loaded release. The spring is very strong (still a pain to remove when cleaning). So unless one of these components was severely abused or there was a manufacturing defect, this would not happen. If it was a defect, Sig replaces free in the first year unless you were using reloads or hand loads, so that particular rifle should have been covered if it was not user error.

Guest gcrookston

Lincoln, was looking at mine tonight and trying to figure out that "Achille's heal". I must only guess it is ignorance of the design, mine seems to be perfect.

Guest CrazyLincoln
Lincoln, was looking at mine tonight and trying to figure out that "Achille's heal". I must only guess it is ignorance of the design, mine seems to be perfect.

Actually the achilies heel is that it isn't made of adamantium. :eek:

Guest gcrookston
I voted AR because it is a proven design.

the 550, on which the 556 is based, has only been around about 30 years, so it's a relative new comer, I'll give you that.

Guest utarch00
the 550, on which the 556 is based, has only been around about 30 years, so it's a relative new comer, I'll give you that.

The 550 has been around for awhile, but so has the 1911 and Sig had some trouble with that one. My point was that Sig has seemed to have trouble with their completely new products. Until they have proven the 556 in my eyes, I do not think it is proven, Just My Opinion

Guest gcrookston
The 550 has been around for awhile, but so has the 1911 and Sig had some trouble with that one. My point was that Sig has seemed to have trouble with their completely new products. Until they have proven the 556 in my eyes, I do not think it is proven, Just My Opinion

Sig should have never got on the 1911 band wagon with all the other willabees, IMHO, with their caspian frames and slag mat slides, a'la S&W, Kimber and that ilk...

However, the 550 and 556 are from another animal entirely, proven the world over for nearly 3 decades as a sound battle rifle... Then again, you are right to point out they are only making them in America now for the first year...

Guest CrazyLincoln
damn, and I thought the gold version was the fits and shiggles. get the diamonds, too? :shake:

Yeah, and I don't need optics. I just got cross hairs etched in gold on the big diamond set on the rail. A playa's gotta have his bling! Now I'm going to have to go to the Rabbi to get an 'esstended clip' :confused: