Memphis Robbers Pick Wrong Victim

Memphis Robbers Pick Wrong Victim

Robbers pick wrong target; two shot, one killed by gun-toting victim

By Clay Bailey

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Two would-be robbers forgot to ask their victim a key question:

Do you have a gun and know how to use it?

The 21-year-old Bartlett man's answer might have prevented the
two 16-year-olds from being shot.

Instead, an exchange of gunfire between the Bartlett man and the robbers Wednesday night left one teenager dead and the other wounded.

Alyssa Moore, a spokeswoman for Memphis police, said authorities have not released the names of the robber who was killed or the other teenager, who was in noncritical condition.

The robbery portion of the case is still under investigation and charges are pending. State prosecutor Thomas Henderson said Friday the office will not prosecute the potential robbery victim, saying his actions appear justified.

The man, who
works for a local gun range
, declined comment Friday. He asked that his name not be published because authorities told him the attempted robbery may be gang-related.

The shootout occurred about 10 p.m. Wednesday at the Edgewater Apartments east of Sycamore View and south of Raleigh-LaGrange.

According to Moore, one of the suspects fired at the man during an attempted robbery.

The "victim", who was within 3 feet of one robber and about 10 from the other, fired five shots, four of them striking the would-be robbers.

According to the state Department of Public Safety, the potential victim is a licensed handgun permit holder.

-- Clay Bailey: 529-2393

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BillOfRightsFan

Gun control means using both hands.

Well done, 80% in combat. I hope he gets through the trauma of killing someone. Its not an easy thing to do.

Gun control means using both hands.

Well done, 80% in combat. I hope he gets through the trauma of killing someone. Its not an easy thing to do.

The victim reacted extremely well under the situation. I wonder how well I would have done. It's made me see that I need to work at improving my skills and gain additional training.