Anyone had jury duty in Shelby County?

kb4ns

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think voting is what keeps you in the jury selection process right?

It appears not.

TCA 22-2-301(a)

The jury coordinator in each county shall select names of prospective jurors to serve in the courts of that county by random automated means, without opportunity for the intervention of any human agency to select a particular name and in a manner that causes no prejudice to any person. The names, which shall constitute the jury list, shall be compiled from licensed driver records or lists, tax records or other available and reliable sources that are so tabulated and arranged that names can be selected by automated means. The jury coordinator may utilize a single source or any combination of sources. The jury coordinator is prohibited from using the permanent voter registration records as a source to compile the jury list.

Guest jackdm3
Got it last year, but got out of it. Didn't really want to get out of it, but had a vaction planned and didn't want an extended trial Fing it up. I got out of it because it was my third time in 10 years. Otherwise, I would have been all over it. Your Friday appointment at the Cook is so Clyde Carson can lecture you about your civic duty. Then, you pick a week to serve, probably in September. During your chosen week, you will sit in a large waiting room. Bring your own entertainment. If you like to sit and read and be left alone, you will love jury duty. You can come and go (in and out of the room), talk on your phone, drink coke, etc. If Carson enters the room, it is because some judge needs jurors, and Carson will call 20 or 30 names for prospective jurors. If you are selected for a trial, you are free to go when that trial is finished. If you are not selected, you go back to your book in the big room until Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, when Carson comes in and thanks you for your service. Piece of advice--at the Cook, sit on the extreme left or extreme right sides--this will enable you to quickly get in line when the week you want is coming up. It will make more sense when you go.

Wasn't that the cat that pronounced "jurors" "ju roars"?

I got sequestered on a Gangsta disciple murder trial, and they said I couldn't be called for 10 years.

Not anymore - the TN law changed last year to 24 months instead of 120, but for now, Shelby Co is keeping the computers @ 120 months...

Wife got her summons yesterday. The new method is you show up on the date and are assigned / get to pick the week you wish to serve.

Good luck, I was almost sequestered until I literally begged the judge for another option - I'm happy to serve, but as someone who runs their own service business (with no employees) - a day off work means zero pay and sequestered means zero chance to book more work....

Edited by crimsonaudio
It appears not.

TCA 22-2-301(a)

The jury coordinator in each county shall select names of prospective jurors to serve in the courts of that county by random automated means, without opportunity for the intervention of any human agency to select a particular name and in a manner that causes no prejudice to any person. The names, which shall constitute the jury list, shall be compiled from licensed driver records or lists, tax records or other available and reliable sources that are so tabulated and arranged that names can be selected by automated means. The jury coordinator may utilize a single source or any combination of sources. The jury coordinator is prohibited from using the permanent voter registration records as a source to compile the jury list.

hmm,

wonder how mom got selected, She don't have a drivers license, or property in her name. We thought it was from voter registration. I am going to have to look into that.

Guest db99wj
Not anymore - the TN law changed last year to 24 months instead of 120, but for now, Shelby Co is keeping the computers @ 120 months...

Wife got her summons yesterday. The new method is you show up on the date and are assigned / get to pick the week you wish to serve.

Good luck, I was almost sequestered until I literally begged the judge for another option - I'm happy to serve, but as someone who runs their own service business (with no employees) - a day off work means zero pay and sequestered means zero chance to book more work....

More I think about it, that time limit is up anyway, I think I could be called again already.

hmm,

wonder how mom got selected, She don't have a drivers license, or property in her name. We thought it was from voter registration. I am going to have to look into that.

mystery solved, I talked to mom, she is on some property I did not know about. I thought they pulled from voter registration so I will assume I was wrong and had wrong beliefs on that for a while now.

I thought they pulled from voter registration so I will assume I was wrong and had wrong beliefs on that for a while now.

I thought that for a long time, too. I think that may be how they used to do it. Not sure when/if it was changed.