Weatherby 340 Magnum Accumark

Guest jrhbb

Guest jrhbb

I know that there is a "policy" on what's my gun worth, but this one is a little different. My brother has a Weatherby 340 Magnum that he bought in late 99 or early 00 that he's considering selling. He's short on work and money so he's just finding some things to get rid of that he doesn't use. The condition of this sell is that he said he would only sell it to me. The gun has literally been shot 5 times and that was within the first week he bought it. Here's where I need some help. He has no idea what to price it at nor do I. I don't want to "get a steal" from my brother but I don't want to rip myself off either. I don't really even need the gun, I don't hunt, I just shoot sometimes. The gun has a fluted barrell, a black synthetic stock, no muzzle break, no scope, but it does have the mounts. Any guesses?

The second part of this post is that I am more of a handgun person. I would really appreciate some personal opinions about this gun. Good or bad doesn't matter. The only things that I know for sure are that they will kill from both ends(my brother said they hit pretty hard) and that it's rounds dwarf my 30-06's other than that I'm pretty well in the dark.

Thanks in advance, Jason

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be worth close to a grand in the condition you stated. It is a quality rifle. The thing that would turn me off regarding it, besides the noise and recoil, is the $4 you spend on ammo EVERY TIME YOU PULL THE TRIGGER.

The .340 is an excellent medium to big game round. Don't let the naysayers tell you it's too much rifle for deer. Change you bullet composition if you worry about the damage done.

The cost of buying factory Wby ammo is what first led me to reloading and I did own a Mark V in .340. It's still with a member here and if I can ever get done with debt, I'm going to ask him to sell it back to me. Love the gun and the round.

The guns value should be between 900 and 1000 as greg stated.

Guest jrhbb

Thanks for the help. I was thinking around 1k for the gun and mounts. Since I don't hunt the "overkill" factor won't apply to me, although I have heard that they are more than adequate for this use. I am more into long distance shooting and am looking forward to learning this art form. I have been reasearching kentucky windage, bullet drop etc. Another question came to mind today though. As I understand it the 340 was the most effecient round produced until the .338 lapua round a couple of years ago(or atleast it has a flat projectory path as I understand). What would be the effect range of the 340? Also what would be an adequate scope for taking "longer" shots? I am not looking for a top of the line "sniper" scope but something that will do the job for a novice. As of right now the furthest I will be able to shoot is just over 2k'. Thanks again, Jason

• 2 weeks later...

500-600 yards would be reasonable shots with the .340. Generally, you'll have trouble finding a long enough area to shoot it where you can accurately walk those long shots in to the target. You would have to start close and walk "out".

Scopes? Leupy VXIII or VXIV, Zeiss, NightForce, Burris Black Diamond....goes on and on. For those ranges, 24x is mandatory and an adjustable focus. Mine just had a 3-9x Burris Fullfield II and I never maxed it out.

I need to start saving up and see if Kahrman will sell mine back to me once the cash flow stabilizes.