Latest project about done Rem 870 a different approach

fastbs

My custom auto bug hasn't been fed in a while and is munching on my gun collection.

Goal here was a tough, functional, retro approach i could turkey hunt with and what ever else i wanted to do. It also had to be a handy compact size cause i was tired of luggin around the mossberg 835.

First sold the 835 it was a great gun just not me. Then traded a winchester 1200 ranger; which i had almost nothing in, for my base 870 express.

my first idea was to cut off the factory barrel and get an additional one if i wanted to hunt with it. well i didn't measure twice and it ended up at about 17 3/4":drama:. Off to the junk heap with it. Ended up just ordering a Remington 18.5" rem choke barrel.

I also got a little chop happy on the stock 11.5"-12" LOP is not right for me, but thanks to forum members i ended up with another stock and forearm which got cut down about an inch to a 13" LOP.

here it is test fitting some parts before the strip down. the final product below.

2010-07-24111546.jpg

the parts collection

18.5" rem choke bead sight barrel

tac star mag extension

nordic barrel clamp

nordic jumbo head safety

nordic follower

aluminum trigger housing from ebay swapped the oe internals to the aluminum housing

gg&g sling mounts

To get the look there would be no plastic tacticool on this one, and for some reason i was set on keeping the express wood instead of getting the police wood. i don't know why that's just what i wanted to do.

stripped, cleaned, taped, scuffed, cleaned, primed, and paint OD green. i've found that the krylon ultra flat stuff is pretty darn durable if you prep good and let it dry for 4-5 days before getting rough with it.

2010-07-26193036.jpg

wood stripped bare and LOP cut down to 13". ground down the oe butt pad to fit.

2010-07-24121253.jpg

For the final product the wood got some intentional gouges and scratches before being stained dark walnut and treated to 5 coats of spar urethane. I like to do 3 coats of gloss spar first cause the gloss dries harder and then 2 coats of satin to dull it out.

2010-08-11191054.jpg

2010-08-11191505.jpg

2010-08-11191356.jpg

2010-08-11191124.jpg

2010-08-11191209.jpg

2010-08-11191253.jpg

It didn't turn out as ugly as i had it pictured in my head before i started:screwy:. Not sure if that's a good thing or not and still haven't shot it.

Edited by fastbs
screwed up pics
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad. Before you repainted, did you find that the forend was scraping a line on the left side of the receiver (like mine is)? Not sure what the solution is.

Yep. Before I refinished it I sanded out the left side a little more and when I put it back together I held center while tightening the retainer nut back down.

The gouges were for a more worn look. Now that I look at it should have done em a little different. O well