Glock 19 Gen4 Range Report

Guest Plainsman

Guest Plainsman

I haven't had a lot of time lately to get to the range, so having this new Glock 19 Gen4 in hand and not being able to shoot it was like punishment. I was up in Murfreesboro for work and went to On Target to try her out. I had posted some pictures earlier in the Show and Tell section and had put my money on this new Gen4 running 100%. TGO David wasn't as optimistic, referring back to reviews on the net with folks having FTF issues. Well........

I shot 200 rounds of WWB and 15 PDX1 JHP rounds this evening and had zero malfunctions. It fed, ejected and cycled flawlessly. I had no problems with it while shooting one handed, with either strong or weak hand.

As mentioned in my previous post, I really like the magazine release, and the new, smaller grip size is a big plus in my book. The new grip (without any of the backstraps added) seems to fit my hand better than the Gen3 grip did. I also like the texturing of the grip much better on this Gen4.

The new dual recoil spring is supposed to reduce the felt recoil somewhat. Quite honestly, I couldn't tell much of a difference. If there was any reduced muzzle flip, it was minimal from my perspective. I could keep the gun on target pretty well, but then again I didn't really have a problem with that on the Gen3 spring system either. With that being said, I have nothing negative to say about it. My gun functioned flawlessly and thats what I'm asking of it.

Where I really felt a difference was in the trigger. I'm only comparing this trigger to that of my previous Gen3 G17, but it did indeed feel heavier. It may have broken in somewhat in this first 200 rounds, but the change in pull from this range session was minimal. If I was to compare apples and oranges and compare it to my 1911, I would call the Glock trigger junk. I'm sure most of us would concur about that though. I wish I had a trigger pull gauge to get an actual number. Overall though, it was the usual Glock trigger experience only a little heavier--almost two stage, gritty and the creep is pronounced. I'm definately going to be looking into getting this trigger smoother.

I'm not going to act like I'm the best shot around so I'm sure someone who shoots much more than I do could get much tighter groupings than I got, but the gun was pretty accurate.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with it and am glad that I went ahead and gave the Gen4 a try. From this experience, it doesn't look like I have anything to regret.

SN852946.jpg

Edited by Plainsman
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Plainsman
Pretty much a carbon copy of a range report I would have made for any Glock I have ever shot.

Great guns aren't they.

Precisely the point. My Gen4 isn't looking to be much different.

Thanks for the report:up:. I too have read some of the not so positive reviews on the Gen 4's however had the opportunity to shoot a G19 gen4 weekend before last. It also shot great for me and was not noticeably different (other than the trigger) than my broken in Gen 3 G19. The owner did did have one fte half way through a 32 round magazine while shooting "rapid" fire. Neither of us were able to repeat the fte and we shot another 100+ rounds after. I'm convinced the mishap was due to loss of grip/limp wristing as it occurred 20+ rounds into the magazine dump.:P

I have about 300 round sthrough my Gen4 G17 and love it. so far its been just as reliable as any other Glock that I have fired.

I am starting to get used to a Glock trigger again after not having one for a few years. I'm going to instal a 3.5# trigger connector and give the internals a slight polish soon to lighten things up a little. It will primarilly be for GSSF and IPSC use, not a carry gun.