Digging up old photos

I was in NC in Spring of 09 at a school and they had given us a couple of Nikon D2X digital camera's and told us to go take some stop action photo's, and me being the good person that I am had finished my AR build during the school and had brought down a few more toys as well. After 3 hours at the range and several hundred rounds later me an 2 friends ended up taking these sweet shots:

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0413.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

DSC_05432.jpg

That was my XD45 in a coyote brown two-tone duracoat before I did my Multi-cam Digital Duracoat on it, here's that if you haven't seen it:

IMG_1193.jpg

Enjoy,

GR32

(EDIT: the AR has since gone through an optics overhaul. It now has an EOTech with an EOTech 4x Magnifier. It has also gotten a new paintjob, it's an orange tip away from looking like a plastic airsoft gun with it's satin black finish.)

Edited by gunrunner32
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill give ya 5 bucks to paint my glock like that ^^

Nice offer, that wouldn't even pay for 1 sheet of digital cut vynil. let alone the round-a-bout 20 hours of time it takes to paint that pattern. digital is a pain to do let alone layering 7 colors and all the fades involved. here's a glock with my standard Multi-cam finish, this one has all designs cut by hand (before I got my vynil cutter):

IMG_1002.jpg

that looks bad*ss. Just how hard is it to do a basic duracoat job?

I would love duracoat my XD but don't have a clue where to start

Erik,

It's not difficult, just time consuming and a general knowledge of how to airbrush is nice as well. I know that I have around 700 in tools and what not just for duracoating (media blast cabinet, air compressors, compressor accessories, vynil cutter....) not to mention all the tools for specific weapons to take them apart and what not. The nice thing about the poly guns is they don't have to go in the blast cabinet, you just have to rough up the plastic a little with a green SOS pad. The slide I would put in the blast cabinet to get the best results and the crushed granite I use leaves the surface already roughed up. After that it's just surface preparation, proper paint mixture, camo design and cure time. With the multi-cam since it has so many colors it takes on average 20-25 hours to do a pistol, 25 to 30 hours for a shotgun/bolt action and about 35+ hours for an assault rifle. With fewer colors it will take less time, having a vynil cutter will cut down on time as well, single colors will take a couple hours after prep time and spray.

Greys,

here's a few of my other posts for you to look over:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/37225-showing-off-few-projects.html

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/40652-just-finished-my-latest-build.html

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/37492-starting-new-build.html

and here is the back of my blackberry:

IMG00030-20100719-2048.jpg

Edited by gunrunner32

Very very cool stuff gunrunner. I was looking at the the different patterns last night it looks like they send you everything you need for 99 bucks for camo patterns. I think I will try this on my glock.

Very very cool stuff gunrunner. I was looking at the the different patterns last night it looks like they send you everything you need for 99 bucks for camo patterns. I think I will try this on my glock.

Yea, about the kits. that's how I started, the compressed air cans are crap so get a compressor, I started with a 3 gal Craftsman and I now have a 13 Gal Campbell Hausfield and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 20 gal Campbell Hausfield. The air brush that comes with it doesn't even make a good paper weight, I went to Hobby Lobby and got a single action Paasche air brush, I've also got a HVLP Kobalt spray gun. The pattern is nice, it's just cut vynil, the same thing that I do with my cutter now. One thing to keep in mind is prep time, the more time you spend on prep the longer your camo will last. The Duracoat is great and I really enjoy doing it, when I get work, my day job keeps me from it quite often though. If you ever have any questions feel free to email me I'll try to help, ccampbell85@gmail.com .

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sgt. Joe
I like the action pics. What lense where you using? was it a 70-200? Low f#? I like the brass coming out of the rifle with the shooter just out of focus.
Sweet pics, specially the muzzle blast ones.
cool pics!

GEE guys ya didnt leave anything for me to say except ditto.:tough:

I like the finishes also but dont at the moment have anything I would want coated. If I ever do, I do know who to contact and have never had a problem paying well for good work.

Oh and BTW....Nice Work and Cool Pics:)

I like the finishes also but dont at the moment have anything I would want coated. If I ever do, I do know who to contact and have never had a problem paying well for good work.

Thanks, I don't remember the specifics of the camera settings. I do know that it took a while and a lot of ammo. Hopefully now that I got off my butt and became a benefactor David won't ding me for mentioning or letting folks know I do Duracoating. Nothing bad on David, I was in the wrong with it all but hopefully now I'm good. It's a little slow in the Duracoating realm so I'm going to take a handful of H&K magazines and coat them in various patterns. I'm going to start a new thread to see what the general TGO public would like to see.