New Sabre Defence SR-15

poak

I just took possesion of a new Sabre Defence SR-15 Lightweight Mid-Length Rifle :up:

I wasn't really shopping for another AR, but this one fell on my radar at a price I couldn't ignore (MSRP is $1229, I paid $699+Shipping&Transfer&Background Check = $745 OTD!).

I wasn't previously aware that Sabre had licensed the Cav Arms lowers out for a lightweight line. I wasn't really looking for a rifle with a non-collapsing stock, but at this price, I figured if I absolutely hated the polymer lower and stock, I'd still have a great middy upper on my hands.

Mandatory gun pr0n:

IMG_20100922_175303.jpg

This thing is extremely light and well balanced, esspecially compared to my other middy (which has a YHM quad rail on it that feels way too heavy... that rifle will be receiving a DD rail in the near future).

I'm going to keep this thing pretty simple. It'll be receiving an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1, a VCAS Sling, and a light.

I'll post a range report after I get a chance to get it out.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
LOL Where ya been boy-o?!

Cuffin' and stuffin', broseph :rofl:

Oh, and buying crap rifles ahhahaha

On topic: I'll probably get it out this weekend and I'll give a range report on both the rifle and the MBUS rear I've got on it.

To expand on my initial impressions of the rifle, I'm pretty impressed with the CavArms design. Yeah, you loose some modularity, and there's no adjustability to the length of pull, but this thing is solid as a SHTF rifle.

Now, when I say "SHTF", I'm reffering to the more likely scenario of a large natural disaster (think Katrina, not post apocolyptic zombie horde attacks) where one may need to hoof it, and you'll be doing a hell of a lot more carrying the rifle than shooting it. This thing is... dammit I hate this term... a "KISS" rifle.

ETA: I just weighed this rifle against my Alum. Lower AR on my digital kitchen scale. Each rifle had a standard USGI mag loaded to 28 rounds (I always load to 28... a wise man once told me this expotentially lowers the possibility of improper feeding) inserted in the mag well.

Rifle 1: Midlength AR built on a Spike's lower with Ergo Grip, Magpul CTR, LMT BCG, YHM midlength free float quad rail, and Aimpoint CompM3 installed. Weighs in at: 9.456 Lbs

Rifle 2: Sabre Defence Lightweigh Midlength you see above. Magpul MBUS rear installed. Weighs in at: 6.892 Lbs

This is the first time I've ever sought out numbers for the weight difference, but I'll say two things: One, the Sabre, which is lacking a quad rail, feels much more balanced. Two, personally I think 2.564 Lbs is a significant difference for a rifle intended for the purpose mentioned above.

Edited by poak
I almost bought one of these lowers. Glad to see another likes them.

I still may get one to build a LIGHT build.

It's funny.. Now that I'm in the LIGHT game, I can't shake the thought of how a similar build with one of BCM's lightweight middy barrels would feel.