Help with 270WSM LOADS

OK ; my mind is about to melt, help me if ya can.

Trying to build a needle threading load for a 270 wsm, here is what I know for sure.

1. Im a fairly good shot and can hold sub 1.0 mao groups, 5 rounds of federal Power-Shok at both 100 and 200 yrds
    2. Ruger m77 magna ported aluminum pillared and glass beaded
    3. 2.385 AOL w/comp.
    4. Using Nosler 130gr ballistic tip with IMR 4350-Most reports says this is the best combination
    5. Max load 62.7 grns 4350
    6. I have tried 60.0, 60.5, 61.0, 61.5, 62.0, 62.5 and the best I can do is 2in moa at 100yrds
    7. I also allow 1 min in between shots and 5min in between loads to let my gun cool
    8. NOT HAPPY
    9. I do not want to mess my gun up.
    10. $50 a box for stock loads is too much for me as much as I love to shoot.

Now what I have heard,...... don't listen to the book it is conservative, load powder until it touches seated bullet measure the powder and start there working down...... that would be 63.9grns

Which way should I go with my loads

Any help would be AWESOME

Thanks Gents In Advance

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have any experience with the 270 WSM round but I have quite a bit with the 270 Winchester and most of standard rounds. I do not see how IMR 4350 would be the best powder though it may be good powder. One rifle may like it better than another. I would recommend two others right off the bat. My standard load for the 270 Winchester the Nosler 130 grain Ballistic tip is either 58 grains of IMR 4831 or 60 grains of H4831. Though now that Hodgon owns IMR I may have to off and work back up on the H4831. I have never had much luck out of IMR 4350 in the 270 Win. I had load that shot plenty good enough to hunt with but the slower 4831 loads shot better and gave a little more velocity. With the increased case capacity I might even try IMR 7828. Normally a 7 Mag powder but maybe. Some questions.

1. Are you getting any pressure signs? Really flattened primers, brass flow, hard extraction

2. How far off of the rifling are you seating the bullets? The closer the better

3. What kind of primers are you using? I have had better more consistent groups out of standard primers and good crimp(preferably a Lee type collet crimp) than using magnum primers. I don't know why.

Just a few suggestions:

1: Seat your bullets out as far as the magazine will allow but not touching the rifling should be around 2.8 inches COAL

2: Try Reloader 17 in place of 4350 you can use the same loading data as IMR4350.

for 130 grain bullets Nosler list IMR 4350 at 63 grains to be the maximum load. I would start with Reloader 17 at 61 grains and work up in half grain increments to 63 grains and watch for pressure signs.

3: As glockster157 put it use standard primers i like federal gold metal match. The magnum primers were designed for the 378 Weatherby. you need magnum primers to set off the 100+ grains of powder it takes to load that cartridge but not the 60+ grains for the 270 WSM.

4: When sizing cases only set the shoulder back about 3 thousandths that will hold the case closer to the chamber.

Hope these few tips will help if you need any other pointers let me know be glad to help.

OK so this is something I might be able to help with ;)

1st My 270 WSM is not a Ruger it is a Winchester M70

Primer CCI LMR 250

Bullet Nosler 130 Ballistic tip

Powder Magpro 70 Gr.

My rifle will shoot a 3/8 3 shot group at 100 yds

The rifle has been throated to allow the bullet to set a little further out of the case (this means for accuaracy and saftey you have to shoot reloads)

The barrel was taken off and sent out for a cryogenic treatment.

After every shot the barrel is swabbed with sweats until the patches are clean (No little blue streaks thats residual copper coming out of your barrel). Once clean swab with a dry patch or lightly oiled patch don't put the rifle up with this stuff in the barrel!. I know there are a lot of guys that don't do this but it works with mine it likes to be clean! and I have the targets to prove it.

Also...........and I'm not questioning your ability if you are not shooting out of a lead slead or a very good set of sand bags it's really hard to blame the rifle. Once you know the rifle will perform then you can examine yourself to determine if it is you that is the problem