9mm AR question

kb4ns

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kickstand

Olympic uppers are different, other than that I think everything is Colt style, so they mesh up. You can run a 9mm upper on a standard AR lower with a mag block, 9mm (or heavy) buffer, and a 9mm hammer. 9mm hammer works fine with the .223 bolt. I have a RRA upper/bolt that I run on a Spike's SL15 lower. Upper is for sale in sig....

Usually you have to change out the hammer and buffer on the lower for them to run right.

You mean if you were using a 223 lower, right? You wouldn't need to do that if both upper and lower were made for 9mm, just different brands?

Guest kickstand
You mean if you were using a 223 lower, right? You wouldn't need to do that if both upper and lower were made for 9mm, just different brands?

If you buy a factory complete 9mm lower it will come with a 9mm hammer installed. If you're throwing one together yourself either try to find a 9mm LPK (I dunno if they sell these) or buy a hammer in addition to the other parts/LPK. .223 hammer works only with .223 bolt, 9mm works with both. Unless of course you modify the hammer/bolt.

I dunno. I got my first ever 9mm AR today. I was told it has a .223 hammer in it because that's how Spikes Tactical rolls. I'm confused.

It could have a ramped bolt. If the 9mm bolt has been ramped it will work with a 223 hammer otherwise you do need a 9mm specific hammer. Another reason to have a ramped bolt is it is less stress on the hammer and trigger pins. The pins can snap if using an unramped bolt with a blowback gun, which the 9mm is. I do believe Spikes Tactical do indeed ramp their bolts.

Dolomite

What's the difference in the hammer and buffer compared to .223? Lighter? Stronger?

I have found that a 9mm will work with a standard AR buffer and spring. And to add to this some guns function better with the heavy buffer. It is all a matter of finding the right ballance. My personal 9mm uses a standard AR buffer and spring and runs great.

As far as the hammers go here are the differences if you do not have a ramped bolt. If your bolt is ramped you can use the 223 hammer. Otherwise you will need to swap hammers along with your upper.

Hammers%20S.jpg

Dolomite

I run an Olympic 9mm upper. I had to use the 9mm hammer and a 9mm specific buffer for it to run right.

I have a mag well block that let's me use unmodified Sten mags. It has been flawless. It never fails to get attention at the range.

Edited by 50 cal
It never fails to get attention at the range.

Mine always gets taken to any shoots I go to. It is fun and cheap to shoot. And anybody can shoot it without much fuss. My wife liked it better than the 223 because of the muzzle blast. I always use it or my 22 lr AR to introduce new shooters to the AR because for some the 223 is too much noise and concussion.

Dolomite