Rangemaster Instructor Course, May 3-5, 2024; Boondocks FTC, Jackson, MS

I finally was able to get to a Rangemaster Instructor course this weekend, after several years of bad luck/timing. It was worth the wait. Tom Givens and Assistant Instructors Dr. Andy Anderson and Jeff Boren were simply fantastic. The facility and staff at Boondocks FTC were truly top of the line.

The three days of coursework, a mix of classroom and range skills, was fairly intense, and the standards are high. Anything under 90% in either the shooting qualification or the written test will be considered a failure, and you will not receive a certificate. While our class outperformed the average washout rate of 15%, we still had one of our number not pass. 

I enjoyed getting to know the other students; who were great people and shooters to the last. Considering their skills and professionalism, the class averaged scores of 97.4 on the Qualification and 94.6 on the written test. Given these performances, I was both surprised and excited to receive the class Top Shot Award for the highest average between the two. 

Rangemaster Graduation.jpeg

Rangmaster Top Gun.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Nice shooting!  The only defensive firearms training I have ever taken was with Tom Givens.  He is definitely no-nonsense.  

He's great. Ive kicked myself for years for not knowing who he was when I was younger. I went into Rangemaster when I was 19 or so, and didnt like the way some bald, old guy kinda talked down to me while I was looking at 1911s; so when it was time to get my permit, I got it elsewhere. A few years later I start instructing, and realized he was offering some good advice from years of experience. Kids....

• Like 2

Not sure who the bald guy was, but if it was Tom, no shock there.  He can be a bit…what’s the word…abrasive.  

I used to shoot IDPA with a bunch of Rangemaster instructors back in the day and they seemed to be the only show in town who used the last hour or two of carry permit class to work with some of the newer gunowners and go over some basic skills, instead of keeping everybody there the mandatory eight hours by telling stories.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Thearmededucator said:

He's great. Ive kicked myself for years for not knowing who he was when I was younger. I went into Rangemaster when I was 19 or so, and didnt like the way some bald, old guy kinda talked down to me while I was looking at 1911s; so when it was time to get my permit, I got it elsewhere. A few years later I start instructing, and realized he was offering some good advice from years of experience. Kids....

I had the same experience, and regret. 😅

• Like 1