Silver Star Awarded to National Guardsman from North Carolina

Im Neero

This guy is an example of a true warrior, a certain "operator" in Camden could learn a thing or two about how the real deal handles such a situation.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=62367&Main=62367#Post62367

As the insurgents fired on the soldiers, Aragon, the gunner, continued to fire back on his .50-caliber machine gun, according to the narrative accompanying the Silver Star. But enemy fire penetrated the vehicle and Haas was shot through his right thigh. When the vehicle came to a stop, Herring saw several other attackers spraying machine-gun fire at his vehicle from less than 165 feet away. Realizing that Aragon was facing the opposite direction, Herring jumped out of the Humvee and shot and killed two enemy machine gunners. the other insurgents abandoned their positions and ran to nearby buildings.

Meanwhile, a disabled Iraqi vehicle blocked the other troops from moving forward to help Herring and the soldiers in his truck. As Herring assessed the situation, he realized Haas was in need of immediate medical attention.

Herring said he feared the bullet had hit Haas’ femoral artery.

“He immediately turned white and he couldn’t drive,” Herring said.

“With complete disregard for his personal safety and under constant well-aimed small-arms and machine-gun fire and a volley of rocket-propelled grenades, CW3 Herring exited the relative safety of the vehicle for a second time,” according to the narrative. “He was knocked to the ground by the concussion of an impacting rocket-propelled grenade, but got up and continued to fire and maneuver, alone, with only his vehicle gunner to provide suppressive fire to get to the driver’s side.”

When he got there, Herring placed Haas in the back seat so the medic, Sgt. 1st Class John Masson, could continue to treat him, then climbed into the driver’s seat, advised his higher headquarters of the situation, called for medical evacuation and drove the vehicle back to Forward Operating Base Gabe.

“As a result of his decisive and heroic actions, CW3 Herring swung the tide of the engagement against a prepared enemy, killing many and preventing other members of the combined force from being killed or wounded,” according to the narrative.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its sort of an inside joke for those who hang out here. I'm sure Mars or someone will be along soon to explain in detail, but the short story is there is an infamous story about a "instructor" type who was on a contract in the sandbox who exited his vehicle in a retrograde motion while comrades were in harms way. That person still posts here (or did) and is either a subject of ridicule for his actions or lauded as a hero. Thus the comment that the Guardsman should have done it the Tactical Response way:blush:

Read this thread and you can probably figure it all out.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357&highlight=yeager

Sorry if there was any confusion Mark....

The confusion was all mine.

Maybe I'll a little bit on the "hairtrigger" side when it comes to commenting on the valor of soldiers. Sorry if my posting seem a bit harsh but having been present when Silver Stars were earned I am in awe of true heros.

NOW - Getting back on topic! Can somebody tell me the dirt on the "instructor?"

Guest bkelm18
The confusion was all mine.

Maybe I'll a little bit on the "hairtrigger" side when it comes to commenting on the valor of soldiers. Sorry if my posting seem a bit harsh but having been present when Silver Stars were earned I am in awe of true heros.

NOW - Getting back on topic! Can somebody tell me the dirt on the "instructor?"

Google his name and this is the first site that pops up: http://yeagerisscum.tripod.com/

Mike.357,

Follow that google link above and you'll find the "compare-contrast" of what Yeager teaches & what Yeager does. I think the first post was an attempt to point out a REAL HERO does (CW3 Herring) instead of a fake one (James Yeager).

A picture is worth.........

208bdd5.jpg

Sorry Mike, upon further thought, regardless of my intent the comment did come off a different way than I meant it. It has been changed.

Mark: If I said what you thought I was saying, then you should've been as harsh as you wanted too. Sarcasm doesn't always work over the internet like it would otherwise.