Using a laser as a diagnostic tool?

Hey folks. Has anyone ever used a laser to diagnose a problem with your shooting? I have noticed that a lot of my shots are about an inch left ( 7-9 o'clock position) of poa. While it isn't a huge difference, it is really starting to bother me. I could adjust my sights on my handgun, but I am slightly left on all of my handguns. Its not the gun. It is something I am doing. I have studied the shooting wheel and tried all different kinds of things to fix the problem, but I have been unsuccessful. I was wondering if using a laser and a lot of dry firing could show me what I might be doing? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you studied the "Wheel of Destiny" or actually shot at it as a target and then tried to make corrections?

Yes. I was working with my instructor last night trying to figure out what I am doing. Neither one of us could figure it out. The strangest thing is this is a recent problem. It almost feels like golfing when I have found a case of the hooks.

Edited by mav
typo

First thing that pops into my mind is your dominant eye is not your aiming eye.. Try blocking one eye at a time and see if that helps any. Block the eye, don't close it.

Ive also seen people turn the pistol in their hand as they shoot. You can try the other hand to test that.

Edited by Tncobra
IMHO, a laser will only exacerbate the problem. Impossible to hold steady unless you have ice in your veins.

Have you studied the "Wheel of Destiny" or actually shot at it as a target and then tried to make corrections?

I agree, I have a laser than came with my P22 and it is very hard to hold still unless benched. Sounds like a gripping issue. What type of pistol?

You are jerking the trigger in anticipation of recoil.

Align you sights on the target.

Focus on the FRONT sight and keep your focus there.

Touch the trigger.

Focus on the front sight and keep your focus there.

Begin pressing the trigger rearward.

Apply pressure to the trigger slowly. Ounce by ounce.

You're still focuced on the front sight aren't you??

Keep adding pressure little by little to the trigger.

Front sight focus!

When the gun goes BANG it should have come as a complete surprise to you. The bullet will impact at the point where you sights were aligned.

This is known as a "surprise break" and it is one of the building blocks of accurate shooting no matter what you are pulling the trigger on. Continue to repeat this drill SLOWLY until you are shooting where the sights were aimed. It won't take long if you do it right. Compressing the amount of time it takes to do this will come with practice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I found the answer to my dilemma. I made an assumption that I was shooting left with all my handguns. This was not the case. I went to the range the other day, and I was working with my 1911s. Dead center.

I then took the two guns I was having an issue with and checked them. Both were slightly left even with my hands resting on a table to ensure I wasn't moving the gun. I adjusted the sights slightly on both of them (had adjustable sights on both). Voila, dead center.

I ended up buying a laser from JeffsSig anyway to see what it would show. Answer: Not much. I didn't see any movement when I was squeezing the trigger.

Guest Lester Weevils

Years ago I got a BeamHit laser practice system that seemed to help trigger control when I used it near-daily. Take a break from programming and shoot from the den into the living room.

Dunno if my old one is this exact model, but it looks just like this model--

First Shot Counts - Marksmanship Training that Works

110.jpg

My main complaint and why I lost interest, is that the big klunky laser on the front of the barrel prevented holster practice.

Nowadays Beamhit has finally added an inside-the-barrel laser that can be used for holster practice, but it is pretty expensive.

I noticed that LaserLyte has come out with a relatively inexpensive inside-the-barrel 100 ms pulse laser transmitter--

SCP-833 - 9MM 40 S&W45 ACP Pistol Laser Trainer Trainer Fits Most Handguns

SCP-833.jpg

SCP-833_A.jpg

Assuming that gadget would trigger my BeamHit, might get it and try. 100 ms flash ought to be visible to the eye without an electronic target (inside the house). But it might not be visible to the eye when shooting-- the flash may be hidden behind the sights.

LaserLyte is also selling an electronic target which seems less expensive than the BeamHit systems. Dunno how well it works. Maybe great. The BeamHit seems to work well even if it is a bit expensive.

69990 - Laserlyte Laser Training Target Up to 50 Yards Range

69990.jpg

Edited by Lester Weevils