Personal physical fitness and its role for survival

I decided a couple of months ago to get off my lazy behind and get back into shape. After a few years being retired from the USN and doing the corporate grind, I needed to get a grip on my fitness and health.

Certainly health is a main reason for being fit, but my wife and I discussed the added advantage of being fit if some catastrophe occurs - natural or a man made - and you find yourself needing to engage in defense, bug out, or help others in distress.

I'd be interested in others thoughts and routines. Mine, for now, includes cardio (intervals of fast walking/jogging, with incline added if on the treadmill), weights, core and abdominal strenthening, and overall weight training - with a focus on general strenght and not adding bulk.

Cheers,

the dog guy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnfireman

It sounds like you have a good plan. The only thing I would add is a good 15-20 min of stretching before and after your workout. Even the days you do not have a true workout the stretching will keep you from getting as sore.

It sounds like you have a good plan. The only thing I would add is a good 15-20 min of stretching before and after your workout. Even the days you do not have a true workout the stretching will keep you from getting as sore.

Thanks - I am really focusing on getting more flexible and do stretch a lot, even if I miss a workout day. What was amazing to me (I went to a trainer) was just HOW tight some muscle areas were; two months into it, I am already seeing gains in areas and loss in weight and inches around waist, etc. I have a ways to go to get back to "shipboard" duty shape, but will get there and realize now I have to maintain it. Thanks again for the reply.

Guest DefensiveGuy

2000 calorie a day diet (keeping a log book) and bicycling 20-30 miles a week. Break the diet once a week to eat out. Down about 5 pounds so far in last couple weeks and feel better. Hope to loose about 12 more and maintain for a while then about 12 more and stop as i will be at a healthy BMI/Weight. I have access to exercise equipment at work for free but exercise equipment is booooorinnnngg for me. Bicycling around town and the parks is rather pleasant. Also hike and kayak some too over the past couple years. Just started the 2k diet though last couple weeks. Job is allot on my feet too which helps. Many reasons why im doing including the one you stated.

Main thing that has been helping me lose the extra pounds is eating 4 or 5 small nutritional meals thru out the day. Add to that walking more and taking the stairs instead of elevators or escalators. I do a combination of cardio and lifting (less weight more reps) for my workouts. I am down 15 lbs so far.

Guest mikedwood

My workout program for the last two weeks has been moving and or getting the new place in shape and I must say I was outta shape. I'm pretty sure a real good sim for a SHTF situation is moving.

2000 calorie a day diet (keeping a log book) and bicycling 20-30 miles a week. Break the diet once a week to eat out. Down about 5 pounds so far in last couple weeks and feel better. Hope to loose about 12 more and maintain for a while then about 12 more and stop as i will be at a healthy BMI/Weight. I have access to exercise equipment at work for free but exercise equipment is booooorinnnngg for me. Bicycling around town and the parks is rather pleasant. Also hike and kayak some too over the past couple years. Just started the 2k diet though last couple weeks. Job is allot on my feet too which helps. Many reasons why im doing including the one you stated.

Cool. I too, am trying to get to the right BMI. Plus I have a lot more energy for being outside, even when it's cold.

I've never been out of shape necessarily, but I'm not where I want to be. I have finally nailed down a cardio/weight routine and managed to quit smoking. With my job and the things I enjoy doing I still want to be in shape to do them in 20 years!

Congrats on quitting smoking - it was 15 years in October that I quit and it was one of the best moves ever - and the price of smoking: WOW! When I was your age, I was in great shape, but it is so easy to get out of shape and I let it go once I retired from the Navy - but like I wrote, back in the saddle and on track.

Not going to (barring serious injury) going back to the idle life again.

Main thing that has been helping me lose the extra pounds is eating 4 or 5 small nutritional meals thru out the day. Add to that walking more and taking the stairs instead of elevators or escalators. I do a combination of cardio and lifting (less weight more reps) for my workouts. I am down 15 lbs so far.

Good deal and a common theme is active, smaller meals (with nutrition - bye bye Big Macs), etc. Glad to hear you loss to date. I am at about 10 lbs and going slowly but know it will happen.

Besides, I figured out from the tips on hiking in bear country it's best if I can run fast and a fair piece with the understanding I don't have to outrun the bear, just the other hikers, ha ha.

My workout program for the last two weeks has been moving and or getting the new place in shape and I must say I was outta shape. I'm pretty sure a real good sim for a SHTF situation is moving.

Man moving is tough and I think I would rather eat a raw copperhead than move again. And you are right - the demands are a good test of stamina such as a survival situation might demand.

Congrats on quitting smoking - it was 15 years in October that I quit and it was one of the best moves ever - and the price of smoking: WOW! When I was your age, I was in great shape, but it is so easy to get out of shape and I let it go once I retired from the Navy - but like I wrote, back in the saddle and on track.

Not going to (barring serious injury) going back to the idle life again.

Thanks and Congrats to you as well! It's been a rough week but it's not been nearly as hard as I thought.

If the S really ever does H the F, statistically speaking you're better off being 30-60lb overweight. A 6' tall, athletically built man can go about 3 days with no nutritional intake, with little or no side effects. A 6' tall man with a bit of a belly can go 4-5 days & will stay warmer.........

Besides, fat people are harder to kidnap!