.380 Pistol Recommendations

Branket

I have a Walther PPK that I like to carry from time to time as it is a nice sized back pocket pistol. It is however a little heavy and the Trigger pull feels like it is 3 inches and 40 lbs (really it is slightly shorter and actually around 17 lbs) :eek: To be honest, I bought it more for novelty to add to my collection but I think the Bersa would be better for a lady IMHO. I would agree however with others here that you would be better off trying to find a small 9mm as they are cheaper to shoot and really don't feel that much different as far as recoil.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest price g
I'm glad the women in you're lives are all easy to deal with. In my case though I know that if one particular 9mm was too much recoil then ALL 9mm handguns have too much recoil regardless if it really does or not. However since one .380 was good ALL .380's are good to go. Is it the right way to approach things? No. Am I gonna change her mind? No. This is why the thread is titled ".380 Pistol Recommendations", not "A cartridge close to .380 but not really a .380 Pistol Recommendations".

I appreciate the input but its pretty much set on .380, and I think we can all agree that it is better than .22lr regardless.

OK then, How about a Beretta 85FS Cheetah. My wife likes hers. Looks like a smaller 92FS.

Guest TN.Frank

Still think the CZ-82 would be THE way to go. Recoil wouldn't be any more then with a 380 and I'd be willing to bet the price of the gun would be a lot less then even some of the lesser quality 380s on the market. 95gr HP@1050fps in with a 12+1 capacity, sounds like a winner to me.

Guest TN.Frank

J&G sales has 9x18mm HP for $10.50 bucks a box and it's even cheaper if you order quanity.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-handguns/9x18-makarov/p/9x18-makarov-silver-bear-94gr-jhp%2C-50-rd-boxes-/cPath/25_30/products_id/13

If you shop around you can find it even cheaper. Besides, how many loads do you really need. It's not like you're going to do a lot with a gun like this. It'll basically be for plinking and defence so JHP for self defence and FMJ for play.

Guest TN.Frank

Ruger's new pocket gun looks nice BUT being as small as it is I'd bet recoil would be a bit on the stout side for what he's looking for. Of all the guns listed the Beretta 380 would probably have the least amount of recoil AND you can load it by tipping up the bbl. so you'd not have to pull the slide back. If hand strength is an issue that would be THE gun to get.

I didn't recommend the Kel-Tec P3AT (one is in my back pocket as I type) because I'm pretty sure she wouldn't like the recoil. The Ruger is a Kel-Tec ripoff, but it does weight just a bit more.

Wal-Mart around here will sell rounds all night long. :P I'm sure we did that discussion in another topic some time ago. They have to shut down gun sales because the state doesn't run checks 24 hours a day.

Of all the guns listed the Beretta 380 would probably have the least amount of recoil AND you can load it by tipping up the bbl. so you'd not have to pull the slide back. If hand strength is an issue that would be THE gun to get.

I know you can load the bobcat/tomcat that way, but I don't think you can with the 84. I could be wrong I haven't found anything specifically saying either way.

I know you can load the bobcat/tomcat that way, but I don't think you can with the 84. I could be wrong I haven't found anything specifically saying either way.

Correct. If you want the flip up barrel, you have to go with the Bobcat. The Cheetah doesn't have that feature.

Guest ChopperGuy

I have the Walther PPK and the Bersa .380. My wife has shot both without complaint. Both are good in their own right, but if she has the Walther 22 and likes it, the natural choice would be the PPK.

Guest GLOCK2340

I bought my wife the Sig 232 and she seems to really like it. She shoots it well, and can handle the size of it. The decocker is a great safety feature too. However, it will take some break in time before it is carry worthy.

My mom called me and she and my step father bought a Bersa .380, which was surprising, (my mom has been around and shot rifles, handguns, and shotguns all her life with her dad and my dad, I don't believe my step father has) but anyway, they then absolutely shocked me by saying they are going to get their permits! They are going to be doing a lot of traveling and want to be able to protect themselves. Their is a guy that runs classes in Ridgely TN, Lake county. I'm going to take them shooting Sunday, if all goes as planned.

If your wife is finicky about some things like mine is you better get the Bersa .380. A good reliable pistol for the money. Fits most hands and easy to operate. I have had two in the past. In fact I personally would rather depend on the Bersa over the Walther. If you take the Bersa apart it, like the Walther, has a seemingly bucket full of springs. However, the design works and proves reliable with decent ammo. If you can find a used Bersa it should be relatively inexpensive, I think new they are in the $230-250 range. Get the Bersa because if she doesn't like it you don't feel bad selling or trading it.

I got my wife a Glock 26, put some Tru Glo TFO night sights on it, but she finds the grip size and trigger reach not quite right. Lesson learned: if you are buying your wife a gun, take her with you. Now she doesn't want to get rid of it because I got it for her, yet she doesn't want to shoot it.

Guest TNDixieGirl
I got my wife a Glock 26, put some Tru Glo TFO night sights on it, but she finds the grip size and trigger reach not quite right. Lesson learned: if you are buying your wife a gun, take her with you.

Well said. Thats exactly what I found wrong with the Glocks. Definitely take her with you so she can find the right fit for her hand!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vermont John

The bottom line is that your wife should pick out the gun with which she will have to defend herself (since you will likely not be around, or you would handle it).

If she wants a revolver, let her have one. A nice titanium in .38 Special, with modern ammunition, is a deadly arm.

It has to be easy to carry. Easy to operate under stress.

Take her to a range that lets you try different guns and let her make the choice.

The bottom line is that your wife should pick out the gun with which she will have to defend herself (since you will likely not be around, or you would handle it).

If she wants a revolver, let her have one. A nice titanium in .38 Special, with modern ammunition, is a deadly arm.

It has to be easy to carry. Easy to operate under stress.

Take her to a range that lets you try different guns and let her make the choice.

She has read this thread plenty of times. If you look closely I never said I was gonna up and buy her one. she will be the one to pick it and she does not want a revolver, especially a lightweight titanium one...did you even read any of this thread. Also she isn't my wife...yet (which I also mentioned earlier in the thread).