Beretta M21 A 22LR

Guest KCC

I picked this gun up a couple days ago for 40 bucks. All serial numbers are clean.

I don't know a whole bunch about it and was wondering if it's worth anything and maybe a age range. I just handed it off to my smith so he can tear it

Down and so I can re-finish it. Bluing is about

Gone on the slide. It does shoot and cycle well. Very accurate little gun with both shorts and longs. If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Thanks

ad3f1f13.jpg

c356d568.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang!!! I just paid about 10x that, albeit new, and the INOX stainless version.

Check for cracks in the frame, and possibly the slide...guess your 'smith will do that. Reportedly a problem in the earlier versions.

Nice find.

Thanks!! Yeah I think I'm going to go with a stainless slide and frame with Black accents.

What brand do you recommend firing with this for target and/or self defense?

I think they renamed this thing the tomcat/bobcat or something silly like that? So yours is a few years older?

The serial may contain the date. Its hard to read yours, but either the first 2 or last 2 numbers may be a 2 digit date code, you can google around to figure out how to read the number and get an age. I didnt find it but I did not spend long either, the info is out there somewhere in a forum post most likely.

The gun is found in 22, 25, and 32 calibers under a couple of name/model numbers.

Wikipedia says 1984 and higher for this design. That was the best I could find.

None of the guns I found for sale were over $300 in value, and one site listed the value at $80 roughly. However, that does not mean much, its just what is for sale right now. If it turns out to be older, get a blue book value for it. If its a first year of production (1984???) it may also have some sort of value, etc. Odds are you got a good gun for a great price, and its probably worth a little more than you paid but it does not seem to be "valueable" as in over $500, but thats all at a glance.

Word is to carry a small flathead screwdriver or a dowel rod to clear any jams, as they can be stuck hard at times. One site said the gun does not have a true extractor and misfires etc get stuck in the barrel because of this lack.

----------------

If I have to carry a .22 for defense I would use the CCI mini-mags or the aquila large slug .22 round (this is an odd .22 with a short case and an extra large slug... YMMV test them out). THe mini mags have a very low number of misfires from my experience and are fairly consistent loading, able to cycle even stubborn guns. Personally I would get a gun that is no larger but shoots a bigger caliber, but if you must, those are 2 options for the ammo. Other thoughts would be a box of expensive target ammo, which, at the very least, always goes bang even if its not ultra high pressure or bullet weight. 22s are plagued by ammo that fails to fire if you buy cheap ammo.

Edited by Jonnin

Nice little pistol you've bought there, they're pretty much industructable and very accurate given the tiny factory sight's. You'll need to try some different round's to get the best combination to suit your need's but the Jetfire I owned would feed anything I ran through it. Your's was not called the Tomcat, I think it was called the Bobcat, regardless it's very much a keeper and it also make's an excellent little pocket pistol. One recommendation should you choose to carry it as such is to rotate your carry ammunition on a weekly basis with fresh round's, then use the rotated round's later for practice. While 22LR round's do well overall those carried in a pocket pistol are subject to problem's from moisture or lubricant's migrating into the catridge and it's primer. If I could find a deal like you found I'd be all over it for one of these pistol's.

Great info guys!! I just warned a you tube ammo

Review for this gun and by far the best one out of the 4 or 5 different brands, the CCI stinger was the best. Complete cycles, no FTF or FTE.

I've also been asked to trade for these.

Beretta 22

183b2851.jpg

And S&W 38

4893dc65.jpg

Would any of these be a good trade? Or keep

The m21a

Good points!

The last thing I need is to start another "Collection" My wife would send me packing.. I more of a shooter than a collector.. So i guess keeping the 21 would be best.

Thanks

I believe the "Bobcat" is the common name for the .22 and .25, while the "Tomcat" is the larger .32 version. Aside from their small size, the most popular characteristic is that they are "tip-up" barrel designs. Ladies like them if they have difficulty racking a slide. I collect .25 automatics and have several similar. The $40 price is an excellent price. If you can trade it for the Beretta Model 74 or Smith & Wesson Model 31, as shown, I believe either would be a good trade, depending upon your intended use. If you keep it, and shoot it, the CCI mini-mags are an excellent choice in ammo. You should not need a screw driver if you keep the gun and ammo clean. Misfires and misfeeds in this little pistol can usually be traced to a dirty gun or a limp wrist. Best wishes.

One site said the gun does not have a true extractor and misfires etc get stuck in the barrel because of this lack.

I had an Innox Bobcat for a while, and no, it doesn't have an extractor, true or otherwise. I never had trouble with mine getting cases stuck, but I did always make sure it and the ammo were both clean.

All in all a very dependable little gun if it's maintained properly. I got $300 out of mine when I sold it, btw.

Here... I found a pic of mine:

NewToy-s.jpg

Edited by Jamie