night hunting

Tonight, while I was at Gander Mountan, I over heard a clerk selling a red scope mounted light. This perked my interest. After evesdropping a while, I asked if it was legal to hunt coyotes with it. The clerk said it was, but the regs. listed on this forum said it was illegal. Who's right who's wrong? If it is legal I'm going to buy a red light for my rifle. I hear them at night all the time, but not in the day light. Thanks, bsstan.

Edited by bsstan
To Subscribe to this thread
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go here

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

Page 16 is the first one. "HUNTING HOURS

Crows, doves, ducks (including the early

duck season), geese, gallinules, rails, turkey,

woodcock, Wilson snipe: Shooting hours onehalf

hour before legal sunrise to legal sunset,

except for dove hunting on opening day when

shooting hours will begin at noon.

All other game species (except fox chasing

and raccoon, opossum, and bullfrogs) - Onehalf

hour before legal sunrise to one-half hour

after legal sunset. Fox chasing, furbearer trapping,

raccoon, opossum, and bullfrog hunting

may be done day or night.

No mention of coyote at night. just fox, coon and possum.

Page 18

Armadillo, beaver, coyote, English sparrow,

groundhog, nutria, pigeon, starling, striped

skunk - Open year-round, no limit.

Go here

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

Page 16 is the first one. "HUNTING HOURS

Crows, doves, ducks (including the early

duck season), geese, gallinules, rails, turkey,

woodcock, Wilson snipe: Shooting hours onehalf

hour before legal sunrise to legal sunset,

except for dove hunting on opening day when

shooting hours will begin at noon.

All other game species (except fox chasing

and raccoon, opossum, and bullfrogs) - Onehalf

hour before legal sunrise to one-half hour

after legal sunset. Fox chasing, furbearer trapping,

raccoon, opossum, and bullfrog hunting

may be done day or night.

No mention of coyote at night. just fox, coon and possum.

Page 18

Armadillo, beaver, coyote, English sparrow,

groundhog, nutria, pigeon, starling, striped

skunk - Open year-round, no limit.

Careful, you can only chase fox at night.

NOT legal in Tenn. Many states allow predator hunting at night but not here. Not yet anyway. We need to push for that. Why you can shoot a coon but not a yote at night is beyond me.

That's why I never listen to idiot store clerks. I always check and double check the regs. If anything make it legal to night hunt on private land.

Guest BEARMAN

Convoluted hunting laws...no dang wonder more and more hunter's are giving it up.

I read the regs constantly, and I'm still befuddled at the complexity and condtradiction of the laws on the books, regarding the hunting of some species.

Convoluted hunting laws...no dang wonder more and more hunter's are giving it up.

I read the regs constantly, and I'm still befuddled at the complexity and condtradiction of the laws on the books, regarding the hunting of some species.

TN hunting laws do contradict sometimes. What I like is they leave some important info out in the regulation book but you can find it on the website and vise verse.

I'll have to research the page and all, but I beleive there is a statement in the guide that says you "may not" use spotlights or any artificial lighting devices, nightvision scopes ect, ect to locate and/or harvest game. I'll research it.

From the TWRA website.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Hunting Equipment & Methods

Weapons may be equipped with sighting devices except those devices using an artificial light capable of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal.

Use or possession of electronic light amplifying night vision scopes is prohibited when in possession of a firearm or archery tackle between sunset and sunrise.

It is unlawful for any person, or one or more of a group of persons together, to willfully throw or cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or other artificial light in an apparent attempt or intent to locate deer by the use of such light.

Guest GunTroll

Its in there WD. I have burned holes through the Reg book with my eyes trying to understand the ins and outs of TN's hunting laws. In the past ten years I have had to learn and in some cases re-learn 6 states worth of hunting RESTRICTIONS, thats what I call them instead of regulations. I have no idea why its so confusing and limiting other than what a fellow shooter once told me at a range " the TWRA thinks everyone is poachers". If TN is where you hunt and you never go elsewhere EVER I can see understanding them fully, but to a new hunter or a new hunter to the state its like reading latin at times. As someone else said..this is why our numbers are on the decline. That and the cost of licensing is always going up despite wages not.

Page 17 section 10. Use or possession of electronic light amplifying device is prohibited when in possession of a firearm or archery tackle between sunset and sunrise. So that about sums it up with what was mentioned above.

Its in there WD. I have burned holes through the Reg book with my eyes trying to understand the ins and outs of TN's hunting laws. In the past ten years I have had to learn and in some cases re-learn 6 states worth of hunting RESTRICTIONS, thats what I call them instead of regulations. I have no idea why its so confusing and limiting other than what a fellow shooter once told me at a range " the TWRA thinks everyone is poachers". If TN is where you hunt and you never go elsewhere EVER I can see understanding them fully, but to a new hunter or a new hunter to the state its like reading latin at times. As someone else said..this is why our numbers are on the decline. That and the cost of licensing is always going up despite wages not.

I agree to a new hunter in TN, the laws can be kinda tricky to understand.

Example in the regs this is what it states.

• Possession of shotgun ammunition loaded with more than one solid ball, such as buckshot, is specifically prohibited while hunting deer, bear, boar, or feral hogs.
  • Possession of shot larger than No. 4 is prohibited when hunting all wildlife except waterfowl, coyotes, and beaver.

O.k so as it reads buckshot could be used to hunt coyote when not in big game season.

But when you add this in then you clearly know that buckshot is not allowed because it it larger than T shot.

• Shotguns and handguns using ammunition loaded with Number 4 or smaller shot are legal for all small game hunting.
  • Shotguns using ammunition loaded with T (0.20 inch diameter) or smaller shot are legal for hunting coyotes and beaver except during big game seasons.

These rules where not found together but in different sections. So to a new hunter I could see it getting confusing especially if you don't read them 2 or 3 times. Also I do understand that it is up to the individual to make sure he or she reads and understands them. Just wish they would simplify it more.

I do wish that TN would let us night hunt. There are many states that do this with great success.

SORRY FOR RANTING. You may continue.

Edited by Hunting101

Wouldn't a electronic light amplifying device be night vision, not a spotlight? As I read it you can't shine a light to locate DEER so does that mean I can shine it to locate coyotes? It also says you can't hunt with a centerfire after dark so can I shoot a coyote with a .22 mag or .17 HMR? And since I can't possess a predator call after dark can I carry one of my kids sqeaking toys? Tn needs to get over trying to save a few woods goats from poachers and let us hunt predators. Thats why I'm going to Texas next month for a week of night hunting coyotes, bobcats. foxes and any other assorted varmints that might show up. There it's legal to call all night use a spotlight all you want to and shoot from a vehicle.

I talked to a Game Warden friend of mine about the night hunting subject. He said it's more about SAFETY than anything else. He says there is enough problems now when the "lights are on", they'd just get worse with the "lights off".

Wouldn't a electronic light amplifying device be night vision, not a spotlight? As I read it you can't shine a light to locate DEER so does that mean I can shine it to locate coyotes? It also says you can't hunt with a centerfire after dark so can I shoot a coyote with a .22 mag or .17 HMR? And since I can't possess a predator call after dark can I carry one of my kids sqeaking toys? Tn needs to get over trying to save a few woods goats from poachers and let us hunt predators. Thats why I'm going to Texas next month for a week of night hunting coyotes, bobcats. foxes and any other assorted varmints that might show up. There it's legal to call all night use a spotlight all you want to and shoot from a vehicle.

You cannot use a spotlight or any light to find deer. This is from the TWRA website: It is unlawful for any person, or one or more of a group of persons together, to willfully throw or cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or other artificial light in an apparent attempt or intent to locate deer by the use of such light.

I would think if you bring a squeaking toy in the woods after dark in an attempt to call in predators then I would think it would be consider a call. Besides you cannot hunt at night any way.

Read the rules again all those things you mentioned are covered, you just have to look for them.

I talked to a Game Warden friend of mine about the night hunting subject. He said it's more about SAFETY than anything else. He says there is enough problems now when the "lights are on", they'd just get worse with the "lights off".

I can see their point but if they limit it to private land maybe it could work. Heck they could even limit us to shotguns only and I would be happy.

Edited by Hunting101
Guest GunTroll

Its not their job to keep us safe. This brings to mind the whole nanny state mentality that is being debated in our FED politics for me. Tell your buddy that I don't live at my moms house and don't normally wear pull ups any longer :lol: .

I can see their point but if they limit it to private land maybe it could work. Heck they could even limit us to shotguns only and I would be happy.

I agree with this statement! I'd take it a bit further...Private land and permission given private land (that you don't own but yet is not gov. owned). And the limited weapon use...say shotguns would be fine with me too.

Good spot on the buckshot issue. I have been looking at that and scratching my head for days. I was in doubt so I have been taking out some #4 turkey loads.

Seems like a petition is in order. Also seems like the state needs to figure out what specious are native and or more important. The balance is going to get out of wack if it isn't now. I value turkeys and deer over coyotes and hogs.

I agree Troll. You all are right. But until we get the wildlife folks to "lighten up", there's not much we can do! TWRA will be seeking "our" imput this summer. We need to write them our sujestions in hope of changes. Hogs and Yotes are taking over public land, but the rules make it so restrictive, that no one wants to hunt them. Changes are needed!