IT question for you computer guys

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary - I understood almost all of this. I think I'm becoming a geek. Well, I've been one for years, just not professionally for a long time, and I was a semi-geek then, a Unix system administrator.

I don't understand the recommendation to run a firewall separate from the router firewall - explain please.

Don't want to hijack the thread, so don't respond publicly unless it can be of use to the OP.

Reading and learning!

Edited by enfield
Guest Letereat!
True dat. Most networks don't use the bandwidth they have available. Most of the time your Internet link is going to be your bottleneck.

Seriously, you gain no advantage by using static IP addresses. It's not more secure. It makes zero difference in speed. And it increases the administrative burden. My advice would be to leave DHCP running, ensure all of your computers are patched properly, and block access to your file server from outside the network. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even let it access the Internet except to get updates. Get a firewall or run a software firewall on all of your computers. And by firewall I don't mean the software in the Linksys router.

Yes indeed, a quality hardware firewall is invaluable and worth the expense. As mentioned by others and you are likely aware of anyway, lock the router down, you can limit the number of I.P.s to assign, and Deffinately turn off the SSID broadcast etc. Pretty simple once you browse through the settings a bit.

Scary - I understood almost all of this. I think I'm becoming a geek. Well, I've been one for years, just not professionally for a long time, and I was a semi-geek then, a Unix system administrator.

I don't understand the recommendation to run a firewall separate from the router firewall - explain please.

Don't want to hijack the thread, so don't respond publicly unless it can be of use to the OP.

Reading and learning!

A dedicated firewall tends to have a lot more actual protection than the one in your consumer ones. Other than the simple IP blocks that you get in your home routers you can enable intrusion detection which will block and drop known attacks. And VPN's so you can access your network securely and remotely if need to. Consumer firewalls are fine for the home, but your business really needs a little more.

Guest Letereat!
=LagerHead;668112]And VPN's

Just In case:Virtual Private Network, a "dedicated" "tunnell" ,..that allows you and only you

to access your Local Network, Securly from a remote location. I.E. any where u got web access.

Edited by Letereat!

Buffallo aren't the fastest things out there but they are reliable. Mine is 5 years old and counting... never a problem, not even with the fan. :shrug:

Best bang on the cheap is a netgear gig switch, put all the puters and the Buffallo on it and don't connect anything to the router. Most of these cheap router/gateways can't handle more than 100mb anyway even tho their gig.

Ip's doesn't matter.. whatever floats ur boat. I always use something in the 10. or 172.16. becasue everything defaults to 192.168. and I can't even begin to count the number of times some idiot installed something and took the network down becasue of ip conflicts.

Buffallo aren't the fastest things out there but they are reliable. Mine is 5 years old and counting... never a problem, not even with the fan. :screwy:

Best bang on the cheap is a netgear gig switch, put all the puters and the Buffallo on it and don't connect anything to the router. Most of these cheap router/gateways can't handle more than 100mb anyway even tho their gig.

Ip's doesn't matter.. whatever floats ur boat. I always use something in the 10. or 172.16. becasue everything defaults to 192.168. and I can't even begin to count the number of times some idiot installed something and took the network down becasue of ip conflicts.

I think I read something about this last night. If I don't used a router for DHCP and just have the computers and the network hard drive(Buffallo) connected to the switch(netgear gigabit) they will be able to see each other without IP addresses assigned? This would be fine because there will be no connection to anything outside this small network.

I think I read something about this last night. If I don't used a router for DHCP and just have the computers and the network hard drive(Buffallo) connected to the switch(netgear gigabit) they will be able to see each other without IP addresses assigned? This would be fine because there will be no connection to anything outside this small network.

They need to have IP addresses assigned. That's how they communicate with each other. If they don't need to get on the Internet you need to approach that from the firewall/router and block them there.

IP is the protocol they use to communicate. If the computers don't have access to the internet just static the IP's and don't even use the router. You only need a router for access off-site.

Guest Letereat!

1. Packet sniffing tools are used by every network engineer for analysis and trouble shooting so they are not difficult to find. 2. Hacking an unprotected cable, DSL or whatever type of modem you got is basically advanced child's play.

Here are three guides/articles I pulled up in about 6 seconds.

http://www.stol3n.cc/modem-hacking.pdf

Hacking the Cable Modem | No Starch Press

Cable Modem Hacking Goes Mainstream

Edited by Letereat!
I must respectfully disagree. I think is safe to assume that this setup is going to be all connected,(networked) and internet access will be a necessity. If you do the above it is the equivalent of basically leaving the(physical brick and mortar) Front door to your office propped open to any stranger who may be passing by to just walk right in. Once inside if he so desires your office and everything in it will be gone the next day and he'll have every bit of info on every network drive, server, and PC you got.

1. Packet sniffing tools are used by every network engineer for analysis and trouble shooting so they are not difficult to find. 2. Hacking an unprotected cable, DSL or whatever type of modem you got is basically advanced child's play.

Here are three guides/articles I pulled up in about 6 seconds.

http://www.stol3n.cc/modem-hacking.pdf

Hacking the Cable Modem | No Starch Press

Cable Modem Hacking Goes Mainstream

Vacation.. is a wonderful thing.. :screwy: Saved me the trouble of responding to your drivel..

UPDATE: I have it all hooked up; the router is assigning IP's to all computers and the NAS with no problem. Seems to be a little quicker but nothing amazing but at least we have the file in a central place so we shouldn't get any "connection lost" errors again. The one weird thing is that each computer shows the NAS in the network map but are not seeing the other computers. When I first plugged everything up last night they were all showing but this morning they are not. Any ideas?