Close Range Gunfighting April 30-May1 Chattanooga

April 30-May 1, 2011 (RESCHEDULED TO MAY 21-22 DUE TO TORNADO!)

Suarez International

CLOSE RANGE GUNFIGHTING

Chattanooga, Tennessee

Instructor: Randy Harris

Price $400

This is our flagship course and goes as far as you can safely go on a square range with live-fire pistols. The dynamic curriculum surpasses the traditional handgun methods commonly taught in most institutions and focuses of the use of the pistol in aggressive close range applications likely in individual civilian street encounters.

The class begins with a tune-up of the fundamentals, then we progress quickly to new skills such as Proactive and Reactive Manipulations, Shooting While Moving Off The X, Reality-Based Multiple Hostiles Engagement, 360 degree CQB Movement, Danger-Close Fighting, Bilateral Shooting, 360 degree After Action Assessment Methods, and Integrating the Flashlight and Other Tools into the Firing Platform. This is the life-saving material that is often ignored in many other programs. In two days, you will receive more information than most armed professionals ever get!

We must point out that THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR THE NOVICE SHOOTER. If you have not received basic instruction, or have a question about your skill level, please call us first.

DURATION: 2 Days TIME: 9:00am to 5:00pm (Central) PREREQUISITES: NONE AMMUNITION: Appx 500 Rounds (Minimum) YOU NEED TO BRING: Spare clothing appropriate to the weather, lunch/snacks and water (minimum of 1 gallon per person) for the entire day, baseball or other style hat, sun screen, bug repellent, allergy medication (if needed), chair (if you have a problem with sitting on the ground, note taking paper/pen/pencil and a boo boo kit (band aids, gauze pads, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment and tape)

REQUIREMENTS: Modern Defensive Pistol, holster specifically made for that pistol and designed to be worn on the belt, 3 Magazines and Magazine Pouch, A Belt of the same width as the belt loops for the holster and magazine pouches, Range Safety Gear (Eye protection, and ear protection)

To enroll or for further info....April 30-May 1, 2011 - Close Range Gunfighting - Chattanooga, TN

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder for those in the NE Alabama, NW Georgia, Se Tennessee area this class is getting closer.

For those not familiar with it, Close Range Gunfighting looks at the likely problem encountered in a criminal assault. A REACTIVE response to a sudden assault at close range. No one hauls out a bullhorn and tells you from across the parking lot that they are coming to rob you. They get as close as they can before they show their hand. And while 90% of police killed in the line of duty are killed inside 7 yards 90% of that 90% happen within 3 yards. We cover in depth how to spot an assault before it happens and how to deal with unknown people who approach you on the street...you cannot just pull a gun on everyone who acts a little shady.We give you a structure to deal with these conversation distance problems. And if it turns into a fight you will be in better position to respond.

If you try to stand still and outdraw someone who is already halfway through his drawstroke you are going to get shot. So we put a premium on getting out of the way of his initial attack and getting fast fight stopping hits on him . BUt not all movement is beneficial. We teach you WHERE to move to make it less likely for him to hit you. At this distance though,we do not have much time to get hits on him so we use what I refer to as Alternative Indexing Methods to make hits instead of taking the time to look for a "picture perfect" sight picture. Combining the movement with the alternative indexing makes you less likely to get hit and more likely to hit them QUICKLY and stop them from being able to return fire.

We also delve into contact distance shooting which does not work in the real world against uncooperative targets exactly like it does when you just shoot a paper target.Sometimes we will need to start solving the problem with our hands before we can make an opening to be able to solve it with a weapon. We cover reloads and malfunction clearance with a nondiagnostic malfunction clearance process that reduces stoppages without having to take time to figure out what kind of stoppage it is. This is somewhat important if you are in a close range pistol fight and the adversary is less than 5 yards away. We also cover shooting from cover for those instances when you saw the fight developing and were able to get to cover before it got ugly. The use of cover you see at an IPSC or IDPA match is NOT what you want to use when bullets are really comng back at you.

We also cover dealing with multiple adversaries. Standing still and outdrawing them is like trying to outdraw a firing squad. We use methods that make it more difficult for them to hit you and easier for you to hit them. Just backing away and shooting like in an IDPA match just gets you shot a few steps farther back than you'd have been shot if you had just stood still. Again not all movement is beneficial.

We also cover the After Action Assessment with a complete 360 degree scan after the initial engagement. If you stand there gawking at the guy you just shot you won't pick up on his accomplice until he shoots you. And standing still and just peeking over your shoulder works great on the range when you already KNOW there is no one coming up behind you...not so much on the street when there is a near50% chance that there IS someone else.....

Come on out and learn some life saving skills without having to travel across the country. Also for those wanting to save some expense on site camping is available. Hope to see you there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two weeks to go and we still have some spots available.

This class is what ties the PROACTIVE and REACTIVE shooting together. You won't always have prior warning and be able to get the gun in hand before the fight starts. This class focuses on reacting to sudden unexpected assault and getting out of the way and hitting the other guy bin vital areas before he can hit you. Not a target shooting class...but that does not mean we cannot make EXCELLENT fight stopping hits while moving off the X.

How?

Come train with us and see.

Double Bummer! Of course I understand. Lots of people with bigger problems in Chattanooga Area and into Alabama. But sure was looking forward to the class. UNforunately, got another course to attend on the proposed make-up date. Sure hope they have another class in the area soon.

I finally have access to the web after the tornado apocalypse here.

I had some damage to the house but nothing major. My neighbor has a 4 foot section of fence harpooned into the side of her house. It looks like it was shot out of a cannon and is just stuck in the side of the house like an arrow stuck in a tree trunk.

Trees and power lines are down EVERYWHERE. Travel is slow going but getting better. In fact the CRG class scheduled for this weekend is having to be rescheduled for May21-22 due to trees and powerlines down at the range.That area was hit hard. But we will simply reschedule and the class WILL go on.

Eight people were killed just a couple of miles from my neighborhood.An elderly man was found in his chair 50 feet out in his yard where the storm had propelled him from his house....... I am BLESSED to just have the minor property damage that we have. My wife road out the storm in a closet as 100 mph winds hit our neighborhood.

I was still at work on Wednesday when the storm hit our neighborhood. It took me an hour and a half to get home...It normally takes 15 minutes. But with EVERY road leading to my place blocked by downed trees and power lines it was slow going. I finally got to within 500 yards of my neighborhood and made the decision to "bug back" to the house on foot. I grabbed my sneaky bag and rifle bag , threw them over my shoulder and started walking past the roadblock when they got the word that they could open the road....so I went back and got in the car and drove the rest of the way home.

Yesterday was "clean up day" in the neighborhood. People were clearing out downed trees and shingles and pieces of fences from their yards. There was no power so generators were good things to have to run power tools and to keep freezers from thatwing out. Ice was a commodity impossible to find in stores. If you have a freezer I strongly suggest you have either a generator or a few bags of ice in the freezer to keep things cold longer.

We talk about this all the time, but this just reinforces it....

Things you NEED to have on hand.

1. Water. We never lost water, but Ringgold Ga city water has been turned off. You can go without food for a few days. Water is crucial.

2. CASH. If electricity is out stores can't run cards...No cash..no gas.

3. BAtteries. No electricity...no radio,tv,lights,etc. Make sure you have batteries to run your flashlights and radios and lanterns.

4. Gasoline. Never a bad thing to have some extra gas on hand. I think everyone in a 10 mile radius with a chainsaw was running it yesterday. Gas powered generators need gas too.

5. non perishable food. There are still A LOT of folks with no power here and that means stuff in the fridge will be bad. But a simple Coleman stove and some cans of soup will get oyu by for a while.

6. Toilet paper. Make sure you have toilet paper.

7. A car charger for your cell phone!!!!!!! My wife's phone was dead and could not be charged because no electricity . But I have a car charger for mine and that made a big difference being able to still communicate by charging it in the car.

8. A good attitude. We all just got out and did what needed to be done. No sniveling no whining. Yes it sucks that stuff is torn up, but it is not going to move itself off yuor lawn and out of the street. If you are doing something you don't have tome to say "Woe is me".

This is not "end of the world" stuff. It is simply a natural disaster just like people have lived through for thousands of years. Things will be back to normal in a few days. But everyone who thought ahead at some point and stashed a few rudimentary supplies will have it easier than those who said "that will never happen here".

Double Bummer! Of course I understand. Lots of people with bigger problems in Chattanooga Area and into Alabama. But sure was looking forward to the class. UNforunately, got another course to attend on the proposed make-up date. Sure hope they have another class in the area soon.

We will. Just keep an eye on the schedule. Check your PM.

FOR THOSE JUST SEEING THIS THREAD, THE CLOSE RANGE GUNFIGHTING CLASS ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FOR APRIL30-MAY1 IS BEING RESCHEDULED FOR MAY 21-22!

SO IF YOU WERE WANTING TO HIT THIS CLASS BUT THE 4/30-5/1 WEEKEND WAS NOT GOOD FOR YOU, THEN WE WILL BE OFFERING THIS CLASS MAY 21-22!!!!!!!!